“Not as good as I remember..”
Review of Cropton Brewery

Cropton Brewery
Ranked #6 of 18 things to do in Pickering
Rotherham, United Kingdom
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Not as good as I remember..”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I came here a number of years ago, ostensibly for the beers, when the Cropton Brewery was down in the cellar. I don't know if it's me, but since the brewery has massively increased its capacity and has had a name change, the beer quality seems to have deteriorated.

Came for a Groupon deal brewery tour and 2 course meal and whilst the brewery tour was informative, the anticipated taste sensation afterwards never materialised.

I sampled six of the beers and all seemed to have no discernible aftertaste. Frankly, I have tasted much better ales on my travels.

The two course meal was so-so. The smoked salmon was quite tasty but the stuffing was overcooked for the main course and the vegetables a bit bland.

Overall,I came away disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high, my memory is just playing tricks with me re the beer or, the second sentence of my review hits the nail on the head.

Would I visit again if in the area? Probably not.

2 Thank Gary D

Newcastle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Robbed blind!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Recently spent two nights at the above venue (one of which was a red letter day) with brewery tour and beer tasting.
The brewery tour consisted of a 15 minute walk around the brewery lead by a creepy looking bearded man with bad breath, followed by a beer tasting session, but I was unaware that this consisted of whichever beer you decided to buy as nothing came with the tour!! I then had to put up a fight for my "free" gift pack which consisted of a single bottle of beer and a half pint glass! Taking everything into account this is the most expensive bottle of beer in history so will certainly be keeping it for a special occasion!
Stay clear of the bar on a Saturday night as it is full of hillbillies with their dogs in tow (or maybe their wives I'm not sure)
The plus side is the beer makes your farts stink making your stay extremely funny!

Putting all this aside, the room, the food and the surrounding areas are outstanding!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Bigsteve82
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lunch and tour.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Just spent a lovely afternoon at The New Inn. Two of our group had red letter gifts of lunch, tour and beer pack and the other three tagged along. Lunch was excellent, well cooked and presented and excellent value for money. The tour was interesting and the gift pack of three ales rounded it off nicely. We will be booking to stay over in the summer and spend a couple of days relaxing and drinking. Staff were friendly and made a rainy Saturday a lovely experience.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Dellydotwelly
Northampton
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Small niche brewery aiming to take over the world”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We recently enjoyed a brewery package at the Cropton Brewery otherwise known as The Great Yorkshire Brewery which consisted of a tour, sampling of the beers, a two course pub lunch and samples to take away. The tour was very professional with lots of amusing anecdotes and a very close up look at how the beers are made. The pub which sits on the same site - The New Inn hosts the event and the staff are very friendly and knowledgable about their products. If travelling from a distance it is possible to stay in the pub and enjoy a full Yorkshire breakfast. Rooms are small but well appointed with tea and coffee making facilities, flat screen TV and en suite shower and toilet. The whole event was good humoured, staff very friendly and food very nice with large portions. The pub and brewery are a few miles from Pickering set in beautiful countryside and in a very quiet location.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Sharon H
Leeds
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 459 helpful votes
“Brewery tour for campers.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This review is for the actual brewery tour. Confusingly Cropton brewery is also listed as a restaurant on Trip advisor, but the attached pub is called The New Inn.

We did combine both, that's the meal in the pub and the brewery tour . We also camped there. I will mention a little about each as they all tie in nicely.

We spent two nights there in a motorhome for a very reasonable £5 pppn and this included toilet facilities. For those that don't like camping they also do B and B.

On the first night we had a meal in the pub which was really nice, but see separate review for that.

Anyhow, back to the Brewery tour, The cost was £7.50 each (including a free pint) We were booked in for 5pm and met up in the bar of the pub.

There were about 10 people on our tour, but sometimes the groups are bigger. Our tour lasted an hour and a half but was only supposed to last an hour. I suspect a few pre tour drinks in the bar made us talkative. The guide was happy and knowledgeable and made the tour a pleasure.

It`s only a small brewery and to be honest there isn't a great deal to see, however I found the entire tour interesting and learnt many things. I was surprised to see that they pride themselves on Keg as well as Cask.

After the tour we all went back to the pub bar for a free pint. Armed with our new found knowledge we had a pint of red lager and a pint of Blackout (you must try this, its delicious and has a hint of chocolate).

The Brewery can be found behind the New Inn Pub at Cropton, which is about 4 miles from Pickering.

Visited April 2014