“Comfortable and convenient”

Ranked #4 of 49 Pickering B&B and Inns
Great Bowden, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and convenient”
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I've stayed here on two or three occasions when on business in the area, and can only say that I must be staying in a different guest house to those who have made negative comments previously. Yes, the owners are a bit 'formal', but they're certainly not rude (or weren't to me). The rooms I've stayed in are clean, warm and comfortable and the breakfast is better than average for B&B.

Unless I'm missing something, I'd say this is a good place to stay!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Herts
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Like others, I booked this, then read the reviews and started to worry. I needn't have. I can honestly say that I didn't' recognise it as being the same place that some of the reviewers described. John was pleasant and helpful on the phone when I booked.
When we arrived, we were immediately offered tea/coffee in the lounge, which was warm and welcoming, with a real fire.
Ok -Marilyn wasn't particularly chatty, but I don't have a problem with that- far better than meaningless small talk for the sake of it, and having hosts who are constantly 'in your face'. She certainly didn't come across as rude- and was always helpful when we had any questions. At breakfast, she took the trouble to ensure that we had everything we wanted.
The breakfasts were superb, with a good choice of cereals, fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, as much toast as we wanted (with a choice of bread), fresh coffee (not instant) not to mention the 'full English '! Pre ordering it the night before wasn't a problem.

The room was very clean and comfortable, with a good choice of tea and coffee which was replenished as necessary.

The only negative was that the bed was a bit on the small side for my 6ft + husband!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Darlington
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I never actually got to stay here. I was recommended it as a good place to stay for a weekend but when I tried to book, I was told in a very rude and abrupt manner that as I only required 2 nights, they would not accept my booking. I was on the point of asking if they could recommend somehwere else when the phone was put down without so much as a goodbye or thankyou for trying us.

Our friends who recommended it to us were totally embarassed and will never stay again.

The only good thing is that as a result of the way we were refused, we tried Ashfield House in Pickering which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone even those of the most discerning tastes.

The rudeness to which I was subjected has made me determined never to stay at this establishment and I would warn others to read some of the reviews found on this site and be very cautious.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EmilDarlington
leeds
Reviewed 26 June 2009

we stayed here for 1 night, we had booked before reading other reviews & was a little wary of what we might find...we asked if we could leave our car in the car park prior to check in & there was no problem, when we did check in later in the day we were asked how our day had been. We did have to book our main course of breakfast the evening before but in the morning there was the choice of cereals, fresh fruit , fruit juices & yoghurt to go with the 'full english' we had booked. Another guest who had brought his own soya milk was asked if he would like this kept in the fridge until he needed it again......! The room was clean & comfortable, completementary teas/ coffees in the room were very welcome with a variety of teas which are not on offer at 'larger hotel chains'. I wish I hadn't read the previous reviews as they made me wish I hadn't booked - fortunately we chose to make our own mind up about this, the garden is lovely & perfect to sit out on a warm summers evening . I don't usually write reviews but after reading other reviews I had to give my positive review on this B&B

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeedsMarshall1
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We booked this then looked on trip advisor and was quite worried, no need, we were welcomed with tea and biscuits and a log fire due to the weather being a little cooler. Our room was really comfortable, with fresh milk on offer. I do know what other reviewers mean that the hosts were not always chatty, but not everyone can make conversation about meaningless things, we found them both OK.
This is in a perfect location with extra free on street parking.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
fargegirl
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Booked into one of the cottages for a weeks stay. Didn’t receive the friendliest of welcomes and never felt especially welcome during our stay, although John was the friendlier of the two.

Parking is very tight and there are spaces for just 7 cars, despite having 8 guest rooms and 2 cottages, brochure information doesn’t emphasise how difficult parking can be and although they mention free parking at the front of the property it is very difficult to get a space.

The cottage was ok, but it felt as if only the absolute minimum had been provided to secure a four star rating, there were none of the extra nice thoughtful little touches that we have had in other places. The cottages was clean but dusty, towels were very thin and tiny, the double bed was also on the small side, possibly only a 4 foot bed although I didn’t measure it and the pillows had no life in them whatsoever!

There was a guest information guide which advised on various things including the no smoking rules (smoking is banned everywhere including the garden, we are very anti smoking but felt that not even allowing smoking in a small outside area was a bit over the top) and the Bramwood environmental policy (we do care about the environment but felt as if we were being preached to).

The cottages feel as if they are being run as a business, which of course they are but that’s not how you want to be made to feel when on holiday, overall I felt the owners were fussy and didn’t trust their guests to behave themselves.

It was a good base for exploring the area, but we never felt truly at home there and wouldn’t stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Feeling Unwelcome
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank fargegirl
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights, with my wife, in July/August 2007.

Everything about our stay was first class from the welcome to check-out.

Bramwood is located a short walk from the town and in a street which is very quiet at night.

Our room was clean, light and airy and, as a light sleeper, I had the best night's sleep I have had for years.

Breakfast is served in a bright room on the garden and sunny side of the property. Fruit, cereal etc. and a most excellent cooked breakfast.

If you like North Yorks, the moors, walking or are a fan of the North York Moors Railway (starts in Pickering) and are looking for a very good bed and breakfast, look no further than Bramwood.

• Liked — Lovely property in a great location
  • Disliked — Honestly can't think of anything!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple