“very comfortable stay”

Bramwood Guest House
Ranked #3 of 46 Pickering B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Pleased we did not take much notice of some of the reviews, very helpful and friendly couple. Clean and well equipped room. Breakfast was well cooked and quite a "blowout" didnt need to eat again until evening!! Central location with plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Weather spoilt it but cant blame the guest house for that.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Had a very pleasant stay, OK parking could be a bit of a problem but we parked on the road out side all the time. Breakfast had everything you could think off, set you up for the day. Wonderful as a base for exploring the area. Train to Whitby is a must, also check out Goathland and Grosmont.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I've stayed here on two or three occasions when on business in the area, and can only say that I must be staying in a different guest house to those who have made negative comments previously. Yes, the owners are a bit 'formal', but they're certainly not rude (or weren't to me). The rooms I've stayed in are clean, warm and comfortable and the breakfast is better than average for B&B.

Unless I'm missing something, I'd say this is a good place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Like others, I booked this, then read the reviews and started to worry. I needn't have. I can honestly say that I didn't' recognise it as being the same place that some of the reviewers described. John was pleasant and helpful on the phone when I booked.
When we arrived, we were immediately offered tea/coffee in the lounge, which was warm and welcoming, with a real fire.
Ok -Marilyn wasn't particularly chatty, but I don't have a problem with that- far better than meaningless small talk for the sake of it, and having hosts who are constantly 'in your face'. She certainly didn't come across as rude- and was always helpful when we had any questions. At breakfast, she took the trouble to ensure that we had everything we wanted.
The breakfasts were superb, with a good choice of cereals, fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, as much toast as we wanted (with a choice of bread), fresh coffee (not instant) not to mention the 'full English '! Pre ordering it the night before wasn't a problem.

The room was very clean and comfortable, with a good choice of tea and coffee which was replenished as necessary.

The only negative was that the bed was a bit on the small side for my 6ft + husband!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I never actually got to stay here. I was recommended it as a good place to stay for a weekend but when I tried to book, I was told in a very rude and abrupt manner that as I only required 2 nights, they would not accept my booking. I was on the point of asking if they could recommend somehwere else when the phone was put down without so much as a goodbye or thankyou for trying us.

Our friends who recommended it to us were totally embarassed and will never stay again.

The only good thing is that as a result of the way we were refused, we tried Ashfield House in Pickering which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone even those of the most discerning tastes.

The rudeness to which I was subjected has made me determined never to stay at this establishment and I would warn others to read some of the reviews found on this site and be very cautious.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EmilDarlington
Reviewed 26 June 2009

we stayed here for 1 night, we had booked before reading other reviews & was a little wary of what we might find...we asked if we could leave our car in the car park prior to check in & there was no problem, when we did check in later in the day we were asked how our day had been. We did have to book our main course of breakfast the evening before but in the morning there was the choice of cereals, fresh fruit , fruit juices & yoghurt to go with the 'full english' we had booked. Another guest who had brought his own soya milk was asked if he would like this kept in the fridge until he needed it again......! The room was clean & comfortable, completementary teas/ coffees in the room were very welcome with a variety of teas which are not on offer at 'larger hotel chains'. I wish I hadn't read the previous reviews as they made me wish I hadn't booked - fortunately we chose to make our own mind up about this, the garden is lovely & perfect to sit out on a warm summers evening . I don't usually write reviews but after reading other reviews I had to give my positive review on this B&B

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeedsMarshall1
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We booked this then looked on trip advisor and was quite worried, no need, we were welcomed with tea and biscuits and a log fire due to the weather being a little cooler. Our room was really comfortable, with fresh milk on offer. I do know what other reviewers mean that the hosts were not always chatty, but not everyone can make conversation about meaningless things, we found them both OK.
This is in a perfect location with extra free on street parking.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends