“Frienliest place we've ever been”
Review of Old Manse Hotel

Old Manse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Coming back to Pickering, we looked foreward to our 2nd stay in The Old Manse and we weren't disappointed. Valerie welcomed us as old friends and we immediately felt at home again. We stayed in the garden room which is beautifull, spacious and cosy with a sparkling bathroom with all the extra's (also hairdryer). We also had our evening meals at the hotel and these are absolutely delicious, Valerie is an excellent cook. What we particulary loved was the variety of vegetables served with each meal.In short,we loved it and will be back when visiting the area again.
Valerie also started doing lunches, which we didn't sample as we were always out during the day.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you for your lovely remarks, I look forward to meeting you both again.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

My partner and I stayed on 27th August 2011 after deciding on a last minute weekend away. We were so lucky to find somewhere like this, where we were made so welcome, and felt very comfortable. The room was really nice, comfortable and clean. Breakfast was excellent, the best I've had in a very long time!
The location is also very convenient, only five minutes from Pickering station and local restaurants.
We will definitely stay here again next time we visit the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda R

Thank you for your lovely remarks we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

A very big thank you to Val and her staff. A group of us stayed here for 2 nights at the start and end of a cycling holiday. We received a very warm welcome, arrangements were made for us to leave cars. The rooms were excellent as was the food and service. All the staff were very friendly and Val went out of her way to accomodate our every need. The evening meal on the last night was comparable to any good restaurant and very reasonably priced and the honesty bar was a bonus for those wanting a nightcap !! We shall definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue P

Thank you very much for your kind remarks - looking forward to welcoming you
all again.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

I stayed here with my folks on a 3 night DBB deal which was great value. (I'm 32 and my folks are in their 60's.)

The hotel is lovely, homely and very welcoming. The food is to a very high quality, well cooked and very plentiful (I was pregnant and couldn't eat it all despite a huge appetite!) with some lovely choices on the menu. All food was bought locally and meat/fruit/veg from Farmers' market etc.

The two dogs are gentle, friendly and not intrusive at all. They were never around when there was food out or people were eating. To me, they just add to the homely atmosphere. And that's from a cat person.

The village is lovely and like something out of Harry Potter in my opinion (especially the steam train). My folks have been back to the Old Manse Hotel three times now and all of us (including my husband/baby and grandparents) are booking up for Oct. Can't wait!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Pinkyogakitty
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, it was a pleasure having you and your lovely family with us. We are looking forward to seeing you soon,

Kind regards
Valerie

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Superb trip, could not have been looked after better by our host Val and her very friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble and we were greeted with a pot of tea and biscuits. Rooms are very well appointed and comfortable and great attention to detail. we had the garden room which has 2 single beds which will zip & link. Large bathroom and everything spotlessly clean,towels changed daily. Best freshly cooked breakfast I have had anywhere and lovely selection of fruits/cereals. We held a family lunch party there which was just excellent, extremely good selection of food all prepared on site that morning. Short walk to the town, very quiet and ample parking. Lovely large garden to walk about in too. Very highly recommended.

3  Thank Rauma
Reviewed 25 July 2011

have just had a lovely day at the "Old Manse Hotel" . My cousins and Aunt are staying here, and today we had a family gathering to celebrate my Aunts birthday. The Manse is just beautiful and the food and the atmosphere A1. Val pulls out all the stops to make your visit there perfect, she spends time and effort on every detail. The staff are all genuinely attentive and ensure you have everything you need to make your stay memorable. The Manse was the place my parents met, when it WAS a Manse, my father lived there, and my mother was evacuated there in the war. The Old Manse is the perfect venue for any memorable occasion, we hope to return again soon .....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Thank you very much for your lovely review - we enjoyed your aunties party and were
thrilled to hear about her time at the mAnse, hope we aLL meet again.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

We spent 4 nights staying with my mother, Valerie and her staff made th whole visit a real pleasure, all were helpful and freindly. The hotel has a very warm and freindly atmosphere and you feel that nothing is too much trouble as was proved on a day when my wife was unwell, food was delivered to the room and lunch was provided at very short notice, we could not have asked for better service.
One of the highlights is Valeries cooking which is fantastic, the quality and choice of food she offers would out many far bigger establishments to shame, and it is all served in immaginativly and in huge portions !, a large appettite is a must !
All in all one of the best small hotels I have stayed in and with a level of care and service that is rare to find today !

1  Thank CMBerryCumbernauld
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Thank you very much for your kind coments - hope you had a good journey home
and are now feeling better. Take care hope we all meet again.
Kind regards Valerie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burythorpe
The Feathers Hotel
The Feathers Hotel
#3 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to Old Manse Hotel? Share your experiences!