“Yorkshire 'gemutlichkeit'”
Review of Old Manse Hotel

Old Manse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Reviewed 28 June 2013

If you're looking for somewhere to spend a few days in this lovely part of Yorkshire, this is the place!! We spent four days here in May and were truly amazed by the homeliness and comfort. Our room was first class in spite of a couple of minor shortcomings (shortage of towel rails and shelves in the en suite area). We decided to dine in on the evening we arrived and were so impressed by the excellence of the cuisine and service that we never bothered to look elsewhere during our stay. The best value for money we have experienced in a long time and we are recommending it to all our friends.
Pickering itself is a pleasant town with good walking country, useful bus services, and steam trains to Whitby and 'Heartbeat Country'.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review - I am so pleased you had a good time.. I know we have a few problems with our ensuites we aim to sort these out shortly.
We have just finished a very busy lunch time and it was a wonderful tonic to read your review.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having stayed here for 1 night, I found it to be both comfortable and clean. My partner had a couple of points, 1 being that the room only had blinds, curtains are needed to block out the early morning light, I however didn't have a problem with this. Also, there was an issue with noisy/banging pipes when other people were turning on their taps etc. The staff were very attentive, warm and welcoming. The breakfast was lovely and to have a vegetarian cooked breakfast on the menu was a bonus. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for your lovely review we were thrilled to receive it.
I do think we need to get some black out on our blinds i will put this in action at the end of season.
We appreciate your coments.
Thank you once again. Kind regards Valerie

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed at this small hotel for 2 nights. The owner, Valerie and her staff were very helpful and kind in meeting all our needs. It is an older property and this aspect is reflected in our overall assessment. Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you for your lovely review we enjoyed meeting you. The Old Manse is 108.00
years old so I expect it could tell some tales. Thank you once again. Kind regards Valerie

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed here at the end of may. The hotel is affordable, excellent location within walking distance of the attractions. With decent size rooms which are very well presented and spotless! The hotel had no problem with accommodating my 86 year old uncle that has trouble walking in one of the downstairs room, which has been adapted. The owner Valerie is a lovely lady that will go well out of her way to make you feel at home. Breakfast is great with a wide range of options! I would defiantly stay here again and have already recommend to my family and friends. Thanks for everything Valerie. :-)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank pomandaussie
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review we were thrilled to read it. I hope we have the pleasure
of seeing you again. Regards to your uncle.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

We visited the Old Manse recently for a celebration Dinner and I can honestly say it was a superb meal. We were attended to as though we were Royalty, and the food was wonderfully cooked and presented. Our only problem was that after having enjoyed the complementary breads and olives and crudites, and then a substantial starter and main course, there was no room left to try the delicious puds.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your lovely review I am delighted you enjoyed your meal and hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Having read the reviews on here, we booked. I'm really not sure how to rate this hotel though because some things were excellent - the breakfasts being the main one - whilst others were disappointing.

The dining area is good and well maintained, but the rooms feel very tired and in need of a handyman (or woman) to do a few days work.

The en-suites are the main areas of need. No towel rails - or ones that fall apart as soon as you touch them, shower door seals that need replacing, so that the water goes all over the bathroom floor if you're not very careful (we realised on day 1), grouting that is very grubby and either needs a good clean or replacing etc.

In the bedrooms it's a similar story. There is a tea tray - and it's almost like stepping back in time where attention is given to having pristine table cloths in the rooms.
The rooms were generally cleaned well (except the blinds) and fresh towels given every day, however, the bed sheets don't fit the beds properly and the rubber protector sheet doesn't help, the duvet is too big for the cover etc. We could only get one window to open, others had been painted shut. At this time of year that was fine, but in the summer it may not be. It's as if attention is focused on getting certain things right, but not others.

As I said, a difficult one to rate. If you look at other reviews of the hotel and think I must be being harsh then do take a few minutes to read my other reviews. I always try to be as objective as possible.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Twiglet2

I was very sad to read this review whilst it is true the towel rail had broken in this room no
one mentioned anything to me I have broken my foot so quite honestly I have not been able to get upstairs and relied on my housekeeping staff - I have e-mailed this customer direct.
Had they mentioned the sheet situation I would have been able to do something about it on
day one - even on departure no mention of any problem. So apologies to this customer
but I am very approachable and here to sort things out. I love people to have a good time that why I am in this industry. Kind regards Valerie

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, but the food had been recommended to us by a family member. We met some friends for an evening meal & had the set menu. This was very good value for money, the selection of 7 vegetables were all fresh. The food was excellent, hot & tasty & we only just managed to finish the 3 courses before we started to burst. The service was good.The bottles of beer are on the expensive side, but didn't detract from the enjoyment of the meal & the evening.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review - I am sorry I didnt get to meet you all but I had broken
my ankle and am in plaster - but I did cook your food for you so you have made my day
with your lovely coments hope I do get to meet you all one day. Kind regards Valerie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burythorpe
The Feathers Hotel
The Feathers Hotel
#3 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to Old Manse Hotel? Share your experiences!