“Excellent Breakfast”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Excellent Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this delightful hotel in Pickering. We did not eat in the evening but if the breakfast is anything to go by I think I would in the future. Our room was well appointed and we enjoyed a good night's sleep. Breakfast was excellent, offering a great selection of fruit and cereal and a 'Full English' of a very high standard.

1 Thank f_hatt
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello, Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am glad you had a good time and look
forward top welcoming you back again. Kind regards Valerie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I do not live that far away & have been to Pickering quite a lot, but had never heard of this Hotel until it came up with a GROUPON offer. I took my partner as a birthday treat just for a Saturday night. We were both most impressed by everything to do with this Hotel. It has a large safe car park to start with & from the time we called in to advise we had arrived, the staff were all friendly & helpful.We had room no 5, found on the top floor, with a great view of the lovely garden.(I don't think there is a lift, so be aware if you find climbing stairs difficult)The room had a courtesy tray with tea, coffee, milk & squash sticks & of course a kettle!There was a hair drier & lovely en-suite with shower, sink & WC. Towels & shower gel&caps + liquid soap were provided, but a nice touch was a couple of white toweling dressing gowns & two face flannels also available to use. There was also a nice flat screen TV to watch.The bed was very comfortable as well.

We did not eat an evening meal here, but you can do this if you book in advance. There is an area to sit downstairs if you wish & the dining area is very light & comfortable, & looks out onto the garden. The choice at breakfast was brilliant.3 fruit juices, fruit, cerials, including home made muesli & a choice of cooked breakfast.

The shower was an ample size for my 6 foot 1 inch quite large partner & there was plenty of hot water. The Hotel was warm & spotless throughout.
10/10 Val & Colin. Many thanks for a lovely stay. We hope to return sometime.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Thank you for your lovely review, it was lovely to read.
I am glad you had a lovely birthday and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Co Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed there for one night with my partner, and my only gripe is that we didn't stay there for 2!
The manse itself is a beautiful old building that has been lovingly and tastefully decorated and in keeping with what you would expect of a property of this period. My jaw dropped when I saw our room; beautiful, spacious, clean, comfy, great view, and a 4 poster bed!!!!! I loved the little touches the owner had made, such as the tea tray with tea pot. How pleasant just to sit and enjoy a decent cup of tea looking out over the gardens. Bliss! I could not fault the room at all.
We did not stay for dinner as we decided we would like a venture into town, but if it was as fantastic as the breakfast, maybe we should have stayed in. Back to breakfast; I can honestly say that this was one of the nicest full Englishes I have ever had. The quality of the produce was evident in every mouthwatering morsel, and certainly set us up for another days adventuring.The cereal/fruit choice was amazing too and I thought the museli and berries were outstanding. The ladies that served us were lovely and most helpful.
Keep up the good work team, it was a pleasure staying with you, and next time we fancy a relaxing time, we would love to come visit again :-)

1 Thank stottyCoDurham
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you so much for such a lovely review -it was so lovely to read after a busy lunch.
We do appreciate you taking the time to write. What more can I say you have made our day.
Take care hope we meet again. Kind regards Valerie
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Such a lovely hotel. Service from Valerie and her team could not have been better. Breakfasts the best choice and quality I have ever came across. As for the rooms well they are clean and fresh towels daily but they do have squeekie floorboards come on so what. If you want uniformity go to a chain hotel. This hotel is a place for real people run by a real person. Keep up the he good work see you soon

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trisha s
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for your lovely review.
It was a pleasure meeting you both I am so pleased you enjoyed yourselves. Hope we meet
again. Kind regards Valerie
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Our 17th visit here, (or there abouts!) Lovely dinner once again, We had different things, and every meal was excellent in quality and value, and the staff, as ever, were helpful and attentive. The Old Manse never ever fails to satisfy, a special place for all of us as my Father lived here in the war, when it was a Manse and its where her met my Mother, when she was evacuated here. Very lucky to have this wonderful facility on the doorstep. Thank you again to you, Val and to your wonderful staff team.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Hi Thank so much for another lovely review - as always we love seeing you all you are so great to
serve. Your Mum and Dad look wonderfully well.

It was such a joy to read your review as the previous one had been negative. I am glad you enjoyed
your food. Take care and hope to weklcome you all back soon.
Arnold, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Took my pregnant wife for a short break here for a well deserved rest. When we arrived all we wanted to do was chill out in our room go down for some dinner and have an early night. When we asked about what was on the menu we were told we could not eat in as they didn't have enough stuff in? So had to go out or go hungry. In the night the room temp was uncomfortably hot and to top it off was woken up at 6.50am by a large dog barking for 10 minutes directly under our room would neither recommend or stay there again Rubbish

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Pig7776
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Hello I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. However you side of the situation is different
to ours. I was out when you arrived when I returned I rang your room and told you I would not be able to do a fantastic choice - you replied don't worry we will eat out at no time were you refused dinner in
all my years of running large and small hotel I have never let a guest go hungry. Bearing in mind that we are only a four minute walk from the town centre where there are so many good pubs and restaurants you could have eaten very well, and you did go out because when I checked round later that evening no one was in the building. Regarding the heat all our rooms have there own controls so you can adjust your own heat to your liking. We did have a dog resident that night so I am sorry it woke you. May I give you my very best wishes for your forthcoming happy event I could not give
them to you in person as you left without saying goodbye after a hearty breakfast. Kind regards Valerie
Hartlepool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here on Saturday 15th March under a b&b groupon deal.
The Old Manse is a big old house, very traditional in style.
When we booked we were told that the only room available was on the top floor - this was fine with us as we are both fairly young and fit. However, when we arrived we were told that we could have the garden room due to a cancellation. I have to say that the room was surprisingly spacious with a large comfortable bed and ensuite shower room (no bath, which didn't matter to us). Shower gel/ shampoo is provided, along with soap and plenty of tea and coffee.
We didn't dine at the Old Manse that evening as we fancied venturing out for the evening.
We opted for an Italian restaurant called Figaro's, only a few minutes walk away, which I would thoroughly recommend for its ambiance as well as the food.
There's a few traditional pubs to choose from in Pickering, as well as a more 'trendy' wine bar, all within walking distance of The Old Manse.
I should add that The Old Manse is a guest house so don't expect a bar.
Breakfast was good, you can help yourself to fruit juice and cereals while cooked items are made to order. No complaints there.
If we return to Pickering I would definitely consider returning to The Old Manse.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank NorthEastGirl13
ValerieAnne19, Owner at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank for time to write a review we do appreciate it.
I glad you had a good time in Pickering. I would just add that we are rated by the tourist board and AA
as a Hotel and are licensed we are just not purpose built being converted from an Edwardian House.
Thank you once again.
Kind regards Valerie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
BEST WESTERN Forest & Vale Hotel
#3 of 49 in Pickering
The Black Swan
The Black Swan
#16 of 49 in Pickering

Been to Old Manse Hotel? Share your experiences!