“Wonderful and so relaxing...”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Morecambe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Wonderful and so relaxing...”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Having seen the hotel derelict and been curious about it for sometime, it was a joy to visit and enter the beautiful spacious interior that has been restored faithfully to its former glory: attention to detail was incredible, even the rugs in the foyer had been re-created as those depicted in the books on the history of the hotel from its heyday to now.
We didn't have a balcony but, on a very windy evening this really didn't matter. Our sea view was lovely as whilst the town of Morecambe does need some TLC, the seafront and bay are just lovely.
A genuine nice touch in the rooms was the option to access a cine film found from the 1950s showing Morecambe including the hotel as a lively family resort. The film and soundtrack were really touching, we replayed it as a relaxing back drop whilst indulging in a bath deeper than one we've ever known - luxurious!...We flicked the news on before going for our meal and swiftly turned it off again not wanting to spoil the atmosphere!
Our meal was lovely though at first we were slightly disturbed by what sounded like a lawnmower in the background! We soon got used to the sound which was the wind absolutely howling along the front...with the restaurant being glass fronted to make the most of the view, the wind crept through a little, not drafty just a bit of additional background noise! the pace of service was just right and as said food lovely.
We headed for cocktails in the rotunda bar after dinner then collapsed into a very comfy bed.
We visited not Morecambe but the Midland hotel: it lived up to expectation and was well worth the indulgence. We've returned home today and already recommended it to family and friends - most people we've spoken with knew the hotel if not its name and were really curious to hear about the redevelopment and we've enjoyed telling them. A great short break.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank k_a_woods
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear k_a_woods

Thank you for a fantastic review of your recent stay at The Midland which I was pleased to read was enjoyable.
Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to a future visit so that I can ensure you are offered the very best rate available, or if there is anything I may be of assistance with to make your next stay just as memorable.

Matt Stanaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,009)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights on honeymoon. We took a feature room for DB&B and felt it was worth every penny. The design of the rooms was to a very high standard and we particularly appreciated little touches like a set of binoculars to watch the boats and luxury bathrobes and toiletries. The floor to ceiling glass walls/doors afforded stunning 180 degree views from the balcony, the bed and the even the shower! The bathroom was very modern and the frosted glass wall had a clear panel so that you can still see the sea whilst showering! The menu was well thought out with local specials and the window seat is a must. We had a half spa day which was wonderfully relaxing too. Only down side for us, apart from the North West weather, was the some what depressed town. Top tip, turn left when you get outside the hotel, not right and visit Lancaster town which is lovely.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BMKelly67
Dear BMKelly67

Thank you for a great review and for choosing The Midland for your honeymoon.
I was delighted to read that your stay was enjoyable and hope to welcome you back in the very near future - perhaps for your first anniversary?

South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at the Midland Hotel during a wedding - the reception was held at the Midland.
At arrival, the welcome was very warm - I was asked if I needed any help with luggage, I did, and was helped in very windy conditions to my room with my belongings. The porter (Brian I believe) was very friendly and gave me a tour of the room - so I didnt miss where the toilet was (it's not that hard to find honest!).

The room itself - stunning panoramic views of the Cumbrian coastline and the Morecombe bays. Handy binoculars in the room (perhaps the guidebook in the room could include a picture of the different things you can see?). Lovely little balcony, which I imagine is fantastic in the summer. A very large room, lots of space, which felt wonderful to return to. The bed was very comfortable and large indeed, lots of convenient/handy light switches. Tea & coffee-making facilities were excellent, and the TV was larger than I expected. My only grumble with the TV was that the Menu system was a little slower than that I have at home, but otherwise, fine and good selection of TV stations. Shower, toilet, etc was of a high quality. The 'freebies' in the bathroom were luxurious. The room itself was very clean indeed but I thought that the staircase was a little crumb-covered at times (I imagine it is a full-time job keeping them clean).

Evening meal was lovely in the restaurant - incredible views again and sunset. Not overly fancy but sufficiently fancy and not overly expensive. The food was nice - hot, service was good - although I seemed to wait quite a while for the young man who took the orders to come to my table - I had decided quite quickly!! The food arrived quickly, the wine was delicious.

The hotel is very quiet at night - I was not woken up by the wind, other guests, closing doors, etc - so good nights sleep.

Breakfast was lovely, so much choice, hot and cold. All seemed to be good quality food and the views, well, they were again lovely. Only slight grumble (slight!) was that the scrambled eggs was a little overcooked for my liking) - I guess you cant please everyone all the time!

The wedding reception was a hoot, the staff were excellent, friendly and the whole event was very well organised. The hotel looked spectacular for the special day.

Finally, at check-out, again very friendly staff. There was a slight problem with my bill - someone had put drinks on my room tab by mistake - but the receptionist was very understanding and very quickly realised the mistake that had occurred - I never felt accused of trying to 'not pay' - which is something I have experienced before. Neither did the receptionist seem annoyed at the extra work I was providing her - a very professional service.

Overall, a location, event and weekend I will treasure and remember for the rest of my life, made better by the great service and incredible venue that is the Midland Hotel. I would recommend it to all visiting adults in the North East to visit this superb hotel.

Room Tip: Room 206, good views & size room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shellygd
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 22 May 2011
Dear Shellygd

Thank you for such a great and comprehensive review!

I was pleased to read that both your stay and the wedding itself were memorable - I will share your kind comments with the team here and look forward to welcoming you back to The Midland in the very near future.

Teddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The Midland Hotel is a great experience for art deco fans and it's location and therefore views over morecambe bay are fab. The rooms are unusual and quirky but some elements of design didn't really make it easy to use the room and some basics missing eg a shaver point. We were given a free upgrade to a sea view room though. The local menu in the restaurant was good but thought it was quite pricey and service was slow. Once the pianist had gone it was a bit lacking in atmosphere. Walking along the prom followed by brewing was a highlight but generally Morecambe wasn't selling itself as it could do.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank LeedsTeddy
Dear LeedsTeddy

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay - it is certainly only through constructive guest comments that we are able to assess all aspects of our service and standards for the benefit of future guests.
We do always aim to keep our restaurant prices as reasonable and realistic as possible so as not to alienate any potential guests, but equally recognise that we will never meet the expectations of each and every guest in this regard. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused, and also for the lack of a shaver point in your room - this is something that the original hotel designers chose not to include in our rooms, although we do have a shaver adapter in each and every room, with extra held at Reception should these be needed.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, and please do get in contact if there is anything we can do to ensure that we meet your requirements for a future stay.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We first saw this hotel a few years ago when it was derelict and promised ourselves that if it were ever 'done up' then we would go and stay. Well it is - and how! - we went and were not disappointed. The views over Morecombe Bay were spectacular, as were the sunsets. The service was friendly but not 'in your face', the breakfasts freshly made to order and the afternoon tea was an absolute delight. A fabulous experience, well worth the money. However, just make sure that you book a room with a sea view - Morecombe itself is a tired old seaside resort, in desperate need of a make-over. Why look at that when you can look out to sea?

Room Tip: Just make sure you ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear karena3091

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Midland - I was delighted to read that this was enjoyable and that we will (hopefully) have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
I'm not sure that any amount of photography can do justice to the views from the hotel, and what better way to admire these than whilst enjoying our own take on afternoon tea !
Please do contact me prior to a future visit so that I can ensure you are offered the very best rate available.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Midland in the very near future.

Japan
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Stayed in 205 with a partial sea view.
I was impressed with the stylish &
functional room design - especially
both its toilet room door(partition?) and
pull down wardrobe should be introduced
to our small sized flats in my country
. I had a starter and dessert for
dinner which were very satisfactory
price/size/taste wise. The view from
our table sun setting in Morecambe
Bay was breathtaking. We had a drink
in the bar afterwards and only wished it would
have served us later than 21:30 -
there were no people in the bar except us,
maybe because it was Tuesday night? Breakfast
is served till late and the variety is good enough
to keep on going till late afternoon. I found
most of the staff working in the hotel
are very young but were pleasant.
I would love to come back to try a different
room

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear therooms

Many thanks for taking the time to post a great review of your stay at The Midland.
I am unsure of how often you visit the UK, but please do not hesitate to contact me personally prior to a future visit so that I can ensure your next stay is just as memorable.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Friends and I decided to try the Midland hotel given its recent restoration and although its quite pricey i would say that it was worth it. As you enter the building you're taken back in time and the staircase and cocktail bar alone are fantastic! The rooms are very stylish and modern and i'd say that paying extra for the sea view and balcony has to be done. The sound of the waves are night were perfect.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear sakuramillinery

Thank you for posting a great review of your recent stay at The Midland.
It was great to read that your stay was thoroughly enjoyable and I will, of course, share your kind comments with the rest of the team.

Thanks once again

Matt Stanaway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morecambe
Travelodge Morecambe
#3 of 10 in Morecambe
The Clarendon Hotel
The Clarendon Hotel
#5 of 10 in Morecambe

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!