“Fantastic Art Deco Experience”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Morecambe
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Art Deco Experience”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We wanted to stay here just to experience the amazing art deco design. A little weather beaten, but not disappointing. 1930s music plays in the lobby and bars, which is a nice touch. We were given a feature a room with wonderful views over Morecambe bay. I loved the shower and seperate bath tub, which had a strip of clear glass allowing you to enjoy the view while taking a shower or bath. We opted for dinner and cocktails in the Rotunda bar instead of the restaurant. Staff were attentive and we had a great stay.

Room Tip: It is worth paying a bit more for a feature room with a balcony.
1 Thank Smultronpod
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Smultronpod

Thank you for a very positive review of your stay at The Midland.

Matt Stanaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,021)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

As a retiring architect partner from my Practice, with mainly non architects as former partner colleagues I thought for my farewell weekend I'd bring 20 of my former partners (their wives and some children) up to Morecambe to celebrate my retirement within a design classic.

The rooms were wonderfully functional and had some very clever innovations. Some housed on the lower floors were amused as they could not initially find the WC, but when they did appreciated the clever thinking behind its positioning.

On the Saturday morning a wonderful member of staff took us on a tour of the hotel to explain its history and points of detail.

On the Saturday evening we had a twenties themed event and the staff caught the spirit and greatly helped the evening go well. The weather was also superb, whilst on the sea front there was a kite festival all weekend.

The food was good, particularly when thinking of the numbers they had to cater for, whilst the wine was also of a good quality.

All 40+ of us had a wonderful stay and would recommend it to anyone. Stunning building in a superb location overlooking the bay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Nigel N

Many thanks for a great review of your retirement celebration at The Midland.

I was delighted to read that this proved to be memorable and best wishes from all the team for a long and happy retirement.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was really looking forward to my first stay at the Midland and I wasn't disappointed. The exterior and reception area were an art deco delight. Check in was quick and easy and I took the lift to my 3rd floor room. The day was sunny and hot and it came as quite a shock when opening the door to the room just how hot and stuffy it was. However, once I opened the two large sliding doors to the balcony, the room cooled and, with the tide in, as I sat on the bed, it felt like I was on board an ocean liner.
The room was modern, clean and well-appointed and I just loved the view. After a good night's sleep, I went down for breakfast at 7.30 and it was already quite busy. A friendly and helpful couple of waitresses on duty and the food was tasty and well cooked.
I really want to re-visit this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank furgus
Dear furgus

Thank you for a great review.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My boyfriend took me to the midland hotel for afternoon tea, which I have always wanted to do and so I was extremely pleased! It met all of my expectations and more.... the afternoon tea itself was amazing, a lovely selection of sanwiches, cakes and scones along with freshly brewed coffee or tea. And to top all this off, we had a glass of champagne and I received a marriage proposal! The staff were so lovely and accommodating, and they even gave us a complementary glass of champagne and box of chocolates! The midland will truly hold a place in my heart forever.

2 Thank Katy G
Dear Katy G

Mnay thanks for a great review of you visit to The Midland and congratualtions once again from myself and all the team.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were a group of 8 friends visiting Morecambe to take part in the cross bay walk. My wife and I had stayed at the Midland once before on our wedding night in 1974 so it was a repeat visit, albeit 40 years later. I cannot find one criticism or complaint regarding our week- end stay; friendly and knowledgeable staff, excellent breakfast and evening meal, well designed and imaginative rooms with great amenities. It is true that we got a really great deal as we booked last year but even at full price we would not have been disappointed.

Room Tip: Clearly the prime rooms are those that face directly out to the sea but if you are staying during th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear gffryt

Thank you for a great review of your long-awaited stay at The Midland.

Cumbria
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have spent a fabulous afternoon at The Midland. The amazing weather and view across the bay set the scene but the service and food at the venue stole the show. We enjoyed one of their house special Razzamatazz cocktails and a spicy Mojito on the terrace to whet the appetite - beautiful and unique drinks. Then we moved in to the restaurant area for afternoon tea to be served. We were early but were taken through to our table so we could enjoy the view. When it arrived the afternoon tea was well worth waiting for. Tasty sandwiches with ample fillings. All cakes were made on the premises and delicious. We enjoyed a bottle of rose with our afternoon tea. It was wonderful. A final cocktail then time for home. The service was fabulous - well worth the trip xx

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kazza9173
Dear Kazza9173

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Midland for what sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon!

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Manchester
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Tried to book a couple of nights for this w/e back in March, fully booked. So opted to make a reservation for afternoon tea, as an anniversary treat.
Lovely hotel, (apart from the public bar area) could have been in any sea side bar rather than an opulent deco hotel.
Afternoon tea was reserved for 3.15, we arrived just before 3 in order to enjoy the space and have a drink. At 3.15 we approached a member of staff expecting to be seated, no - still setting up tables, Were seated at 3.20 so not a problem.
However having noticed two table seated after ourselves had their orders taken, I asked if we could order a tea. I was told that the orders were being taken in the order seated!!
Eventually received out tea/coffee at 3.50, afternoon tea arrived at 4.15.... an hour after our arrival.
The afternoon tea itself - well I have to say that the scones appeared to be home made and were delicious, the jam accompanying them looked and tasted industrial. The sponge cake - another story looked and tasted as if it had been purchased from a local supermarket, in fact as did the other two cakes. I would be extremely surprised if they had been baked in house. The sandwiches were the usual commercial white and brown bread, with ok fillings. I guess I was expecting a far better standard of food and certainly service. There was one older female member of staff who could not be faulted. Otherwise we may as well have been invisible.

2 Thank sueperswift
Dear sueperswift

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and please accept my apologies for this.
Please rest assured that all our afternoon items are made in-house on a daily basis.

Matt Stanaway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morecambe
Travelodge Morecambe
#1 of 7 in Lancaster
The Clarendon Hotel
The Clarendon Hotel
#5 of 10 in Morecambe

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!