“What A Difference A Day Makes”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Morecambe
GreenLeadersSilver level
England, United Kingdom
“What A Difference A Day Makes”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here on Saturday & Sunday 9 & 10th August. If we had left the hotel on Sunday morning we would have given a 5 star rating despite the fact that Reception was too busy telling us how fantastic our room was and passing the time of day rather than concentrating on the business side of things. He forgot to swipe my credit card allowing me to charge purchases to the room bill and only loaded our room keys with one night's stay, which ultimately lead to unwanted stress. When we arrived at our room we could tell for ourselves how great the room was and how great the views were. The hotel really does have a great feel about it and is in a great position at the front. The building itself is the USP, so a shame management isn't up to the mark.
Saturday night was very enjoyable - we decided (luckily) to eat in the Rotunda Bar. The lady who was in charge gave excellent service and the meal was very good standard.

Sunday night we booked the restaurant for 8.15 and were given a piece of bread then ignored. After 20 minutes I was getting very cold and the pages of the wine list were moving from the drafts which felt like air conditioning. I asked a member of staff if the air- conditioning could be turned down and maybe we could order. Pretty well dismissed with the coldness as told there was no air-conditioning, but someone came over and took our order. I asked about the drafts again later and was told yes the air-conditioning could be turned down. Still cold I went back to my room for a jacket but the key had expired so I had to go back to Reception get it loaded and back to my room. While I was away my wife spoke to someone about the net curtain being trapped in the window and letting a draft through but he said that was OK. Anyway the food eventually arrived - cold. It was taken away and a waitress came over to apologise and ask if we would like a drink on the house. We declined as we already had a bottle of wine. When we eventually had our meal the quality was very good. After the meal we decided to have a night cap in the Rotunda bar, but on the way outside the kitchen door my wife fell over on some oily food. Her feet were taken from her and she ended up falling on her knee but luckily she was not injured. I informed a member of staff in the Rotunda and she was very apologetic and immediately went in the kitchen to inform them. We decided to end a bad night and retire! Definitely the worst dining experience ever!
Breakfast wasn't much better! We did get a table straight away but I had to chase after 20 minutes for a breakfast order to be taken. Another 20 minutes later our breakfast arrived, but alas the wrong ones! The table next to us noticed that they had just been given the wrong breakfasts and realised we had theirs so they were swopped over but mine was correct but my wife's not! The staff were embarrassed and took mine away until my wife's breakfast was ready. When they arrived mine was cold. I gave up the will to live.
When I checked out the receptionist didn't ask "Was everything fine with your stay?" Well that didn't surprise me!
The reason for a 1 star rating is that no matter how good a building is the management have a moral responsibility to make sure their paying customers have a good experience irrespective of the amount they pay. The staff were pleasant and polite but too many were unable to get to grips with the meaning of customer service. Many staff in the summer may be seasonal so it is even more important for a manager to be around. Apart from one extremely good lady working in the Rotunda Bar on Saturday management seemed to be non- existent. It almost seemed as if there were too many staff sometimes not really knowing what to do. This review reads like a comedy script , but I can assure everyone if anything I have underplayed the series of events. We are in hotels on average for 60 days a year and this is the first time we have placed a negative review.
It will surprise me if management take this review on board because they have so many 5 star reviews the other unfortunate customers don't really matter.

Room Tip: Room facing the sea on the 3rd floor great views! Don't eat in the restaurant.
6 Thank Mike C
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear MikeShas

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Midland.
I was sorry to read of the areas in which we failed to meet both your own expectations or indeed our usual standards of service and please accept my apologies for this.
I was also concerned to read that you presume your review will be disregarded. Please rest assured that all feedback is discussed and assessed and my hope is that many of the positive reviews we do receive are precisely because of the fact that we listen to the areas in which guests feel we may enhance certain aspects of facilites or service and address these wherever possible.
I will of course share and discuss your comments with my management team and thank you once again for your comments.

Matt Stanaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Midland, in a room with a great sea view across the Bay. Drank cocktails in the Rotunda bar before a very enjoyable dinner (would recommend the cheese board) watching the sunset over the Bay. All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and efficient and the atmosphere in the hotel is a relaxed and welcoming one. A great deal of effort has been made along the Promenade and around the Bay and we walked miles along the full length and back. It's worth crossing the road to the car park opposite and walking the footpath down to the railway station as it's full of murals and we would never have come across it if we hadn't travelled by train. All in all a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are highly recommended
1 Thank aandy_py
Dear aandy_py

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review of your stay.

We hope to welcome you back soon.,

Morecambe
Reviewed 10 August 2014

What can I say about a great hotel.
The food is always brilliant when we have eaten here the staff are always very polite and always willing to help. We stayed in room 302 with the hot tub on the balcony and if your thinking of staying here this is the room to stay in. The room and views are amazing you can sit in the hot tub and watch the sun set. I think we will be returning next year for definite

• Stayed August 2014
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Matthew D

Thank you for a great review of your recent stay and congratulations from everyone here at The Midland.
We hope to welcome you back next year!

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Enjoyed a delicious afternoon tea at The Midland overlooking the bay. Everything was as good as usual, if not better. The young local staff that served us were lovely as usual and they really enjoy what they are doing and are so friendly.

1 Thank 747MrsH
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear MrsH9444

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Midland.

I was pleased to read that your afternoon tea was enjoyable and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Wrexham County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Beautifully refurbished art deco hotel.Had called for coffee a couple of times before and always wanted to stay.The hotel,cocktail bar and restauraunt are like stepping back into the 1930s-brilliant!
The only down side was that we were given a room that we later found was under repair but the staff were mortified and quickly sorted it out ,though our new room was a little smaller.
The meal in the restauraunt was very good but the views over Morecambe Bay with the sun going down were exceptional!
Try not to get the very basic rooms but even these have great quircky furniture where doors hide the tv and even the bathroom.

Room Tip: Try not to get the very basic rooms and one that overlooks the sea.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Gerwyn M

Thank you for a very positive review of your stay at The Midland.
I was delighted to read that this was enjoyable and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Rochester
Reviewed 7 August 2014

2nd and 3rd August. Rooms interesting and comfortable and all, it would seem, with a sea view. lovely conservatory restaurant and good food. Breakfast fine too but still feel overpriced. Nice place Morecambe with a beautiful park but unfortunately raining when there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear JojoRochester

Thank you for a very positive review, although I was sorry to read that, depite this, you considered your stay overpriced.

somerset
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I would love to give the hotel five stars. Our room was fabulous, the largest suite on the top floor, massive separate lounge plus a kitchen, lovely bedroom and wonderful bathroom but the wow factor was the ENORMOUS terrace, we could have accommodated 50 people for drinks. The view from all the rooms and terrace was fantastic. We even had complimentary glasses of bubbly delivered to the room. The downside was the restaurant - the food was excellent but the temperature of the room unbearable. It was impossible to enjoy the meal, everyone was wearing sunglasses and some people even made sun hats out of their serviettes to try and keep cool. Eventually two portable air conditioners were brought in which helped a little. Why were these not used before the dining room opened to bring the temperature down. So sad as this spoiled what would have been a wonderful and memorable stay. My wife had a tour of the Art Deco features of the building after we had breakfast. She loved it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wildswimmer2010
Dear wildswimmer2010

Thank you for a great review and I was pleased to read that, despite the unusually hot weather experienced during your visit, this was enjoyable.

Matt Stanaway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morecambe
Travelodge Morecambe
#1 of 7 in Lancaster
The Clarendon Hotel
The Clarendon Hotel
#5 of 10 in Morecambe

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!