“Not the most helpful” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 26 Morecambe B&B and Inns
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Not the most helpful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for just one night, so we could get the early start needed for our short trip into Lancaster, we booked B&B only to find breakfast didn't start until 8.15 and no offer of an early breakfast, but still took the full £65 pound for a few hours in a room with very dated furnishings and two very creaky single beds.
Can't comment on the rest of the hotel or the food, so the host once when i handed over my money and received my keys, no one around when we had to leave at 7.15.
Good point:- Good view over the bay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here purely as a work base, as I was shipped to Morecambe to work for 2 days.

The check-in was from 2pm, and finding my room the first time was like running through a rabbit warren, and with lots of fire doors to go through. My room was at the back, facing over the car park, but as I said, it was just for somewhere to sleep.

The room was spotless, if a little dated. My room was a twin, with an en-suite. This was via a slide door into a narrow bathroom, with shower, wc, and basin.

The bed and other furnishings were old, but servicable, and the obligatory coffee facilities were good. I cannot comment on the breakfast, although they were included within my tariff.

Location-wise, the Clifton is right on the promenade, and with some good sea-views overlooking the bay. Yes, the area around is very run down, but if you are looking at somewhere purely for a base to either work or explore, then I would have no hesitation in recommending it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Chris S
Isle of Man
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Used this hotel for an overnight stay and was happy with the hotel and breakfast.

As some reviews have said it is a little dated but was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed and to be honest I am not looking for anything more than that as a hotel to me is just a place to sleep. The cooked breakfast was very nice and the view out across the bay was fantastic. Although I would be the first to admit that Morecambe does have its problems it is by no means any worse than any other seaside town in the uk and would make an ideal base to explore the Lake District if you were on a budget. I would have no objections to staying here again.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms would always be the best option.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Tripper989
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Hard to believe anyone could class this place as anything other than basic, ok the host lady was friendly but the room was claustrophobic,the furniture WAY past its use by date. The breakfast was only warm.Had i known what a depressing place morecambe is i would have avoided it as i suggest you do.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Morecambe hotels

Morecambe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here for one night.

I had a single room, which was comfortable and had everything I needed in it and free WiFi. Yes it was quite small, but I didn't need much space.... it was en suite and that was the main thing. The shower was a good shower, plenty of hot water - and that's always a bonus.

Yes, its a bit dated and could do with a bit of a freshen up, but it was clean and the owners were very welcoming.

My room was on the main road, and had fantastic views, but there was a lot of traffic noise. I am a light sleeper so it kept me awake.....

Breakfast was between 0815 & 0900 - which is a very short time to fit everyone in I felt..... but if it works for them, then that's fine.
Breakfast was good and had I known beforehand, you can request eggs on toast if you prefer, but I didn't know that so had the full breakfast. It was only because another couple had that, or I wouldn't have known you could request anything else.....

If you want a cheap room and aren't bothered about decor - then this is the place for you. If you want new and swanky, then you'll be disappointed.
But for the money, it was adequate - and as I said before - clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bay-Pixie
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the Clifton for 3 nights during a very hot spell in July 2013. I was made to feel very welcome on arrival and throughout my stay by owners Lydia and Paul. My single room on the 1st floor had great views across the bay, Although the room was a bit small, as single rooms like these usually are, it was clean and comfortable, and adequate for my needs. The ensuite bathroom, again, was small but had a very good shower. Being at the front of the hotel, and on a main road, there is inevitably some traffic noise, but this did not disturb my sleep. I found the hotel to be clean and inviting throughout. Breakfasts were nice, served by a pleasant young lady in a light and spacious dining room overlooking the sea front. Although the hotel is run as a B&B, with no evening meals, it does have a downstairs bar, complete with karaoke set up. On going down for a drink in the evening I was persuaded by Paul to have a go a singing. There is even a drum kit in the bar area which Paul was kind enough to let me have a go on. My non existent talent for singing and drumming was sadly all too evident. Although there is unrestricted parking on the main road outside the hotel it does get busy at times and I felt lucky to be able to find a spot nearby. The town centre and other amenities are a few minutes walk away but all on a level location. This was my first visit to Morecambe, it is a good base for exploring further afield. I liked the resort more than I expected to and I certainly liked the Clifton Very good value for money as well. I intend to make a return visit this year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

The Clifton has the potential to be a really pleasant guest house. However, I stayed for two nights and was disappointed. The lounge and the dining room are lovely and spacious. However, my single bedroom was on small side and the en suite bathroom was ridiculously cramped. Worse, everything seemed to be tightly rationed. Despite the strong winds outside, the central heating went off early at night. My sleep was ruined by the discomfort of only one pillow. In the morning, whilst the cooked breakfast was fine, a top-up for the coffee pot and additional rounds of toast were not offered. Free wi-fi was advertised but, whilst the signal remained strong, after the first night, I was completely unable to log on to it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo