“Disappointing, tired and rundown”
Review of Clifton Hotel

Clifton Hotel
Ranked #19 of 25 Morecambe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We would love to be able to give this hotel a favourable review as the hosts and the staff were lovely. Unfortunately our stay started out badly when we were not able to get the family room that we had booked to have a bit of extra space. The double room that we ended up with had its double bed up against one wall and this is not our idea of a 'standard double room'. We were moved the following day to a room with 2 bedside tables and a little more room around the very small double bed. Unfortunately we just couldn't get comfortable. The curtains were old and falling down and we had to u-tac the sides to keep the early morning light out. We had also booked this particular hotel because it offered WiFi throughout and parking. The parking was difficult in the crowded front street and the WiFi did not work properly in our room. We kept popping down to level 2 to turn the router off and re-establish our connection. We needed the WiFi to make our forward bookings so this was very frustrating. We booked for 5 nights but only stayed 3. It is a lovely old building but it needs some serious money spent on it to get out of the 'tired and rundown' category. We found the breakfast was good and the kitchen and cleaning staff were lovely. It was clean and the water pressure was good. Our shower took sometime to drain and we were a bit daunted by standing up to our ankles in water while we showered. We don't think it represents value for money and could not recommend it. Morecambe is also a very tired resort. Having our picture taken with the statue of Eric Morecambe was the highlight of our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Well I attracted by the low price for a one night stay and the Clifton proved excellent value. The view from my sea view window was stunning. The single room was small and the en suite smaller still, but didn't mind. TV worked, wifi worked. The breakfast room had good views of the Bay (as opposed to equivalent London hotels where you are down in the basement) and was a pleasant place for a standard Full English. I liked the vibe and would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2014

although the bed was very comfortable, unfortunately the decor was tatty & tired, the cooked breakfast was dry, as if it had been pre cooked then put in oven to keep warm, so only had on first day, just had cereal & toast for other 2 days, the location was great, nicely outside of town center but only 10mins to walk in, but would use again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for just one night, so we could get the early start needed for our short trip into Lancaster, we booked B&B only to find breakfast didn't start until 8.15 and no offer of an early breakfast, but still took the full £65 pound for a few hours in a room with very dated furnishings and two very creaky single beds.
Can't comment on the rest of the hotel or the food, so the host once when i handed over my money and received my keys, no one around when we had to leave at 7.15.
Good point:- Good view over the bay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here purely as a work base, as I was shipped to Morecambe to work for 2 days.

The check-in was from 2pm, and finding my room the first time was like running through a rabbit warren, and with lots of fire doors to go through. My room was at the back, facing over the car park, but as I said, it was just for somewhere to sleep.

The room was spotless, if a little dated. My room was a twin, with an en-suite. This was via a slide door into a narrow bathroom, with shower, wc, and basin.

The bed and other furnishings were old, but servicable, and the obligatory coffee facilities were good. I cannot comment on the breakfast, although they were included within my tariff.

Location-wise, the Clifton is right on the promenade, and with some good sea-views overlooking the bay. Yes, the area around is very run down, but if you are looking at somewhere purely for a base to either work or explore, then I would have no hesitation in recommending it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Used this hotel for an overnight stay and was happy with the hotel and breakfast.

As some reviews have said it is a little dated but was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed and to be honest I am not looking for anything more than that as a hotel to me is just a place to sleep. The cooked breakfast was very nice and the view out across the bay was fantastic. Although I would be the first to admit that Morecambe does have its problems it is by no means any worse than any other seaside town in the uk and would make an ideal base to explore the Lake District if you were on a budget. I would have no objections to staying here again.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms would always be the best option.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Tripper989
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Hard to believe anyone could class this place as anything other than basic, ok the host lady was friendly but the room was claustrophobic,the furniture WAY past its use by date. The breakfast was only warm.Had i known what a depressing place morecambe is i would have avoided it as i suggest you do.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo