“Hated the Lothersdale”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Morecambe
blackburn
“Hated the Lothersdale”
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I agree entirely with the previous review "Loathsome Lothersdale". I experienced the same poor standard of cleanliness. I paid £66.00 per night for a double room for a weekend break. The room was very small, dirty, and the furniture was in poor condition. The bed headboards were stained with grease from previous occupants. The sink was cracked, shower rail was rusty, toilet basin was dirty. There was no extractor fan in the ensuite to get rid of smells, so this resulted in mould and wallpaper peeling off. I do not think this hotel warrants a 2 star status and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank numberoneroversfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Unfortunately I stayed at this hotel as part of a large group for a weekend, so I had no input into the booking. This hotel is truly awful. We payed £66 for a twin room, which I understand is a discounted group rate! I think I must have been in the same room as the previous reviewer as I was disturbed by the creaky floorboards too. The room furniture can ony be described as "minging". I had an armchair which had very badly stained upholstery. The head boards on the beds were made of fabric and had greasy ring marks were other guests heads had been. I kid you not! The bathroom was a disgrace, with mould and stains on the tiles and wall paper hanging off the bathroom wall. The skirting boards in the room were full of chips. Frankly, I would never stay in this hotel again. If it wasn't for the fact that I was part of a large group I would have checked out immediately. One of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Having noted the management response to the previous reviewer, I can assure fellow tripadvisors I have no axe to grind with this hotel, just giving my genuine opinion.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The room, terrible!
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank EllanVannin

Travellers are raving about these Morecambe hotels

Cheshire
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Date: 17th February 2008.
Where to begin? We found this hotel by searching for hotels in Morecambe and this came up as a three star (it's not though - it's officially a two star). We paid 60 pounds for a double room and it was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. My husband and I travel a lot in England and abroad and our standards are not especially high, but I've never stayed in a place so outdated, dirty, hostile and run-down in my life. The room was hardly a double. The bed just fit in but you couldn't move around it. It was more like a wardrobe than a room. The tops of the old, decrepit, furniture hadn't been cleaned and there was spilt coffee grains and sugar on the decaying dresser. There was fag ash on the windowsill and human hair in the cracked sink. There was what looked like bits of skin on the side table next to the bed. The bathroom was so old I didn't want to even take a shower. The wallpaper in all the communal areas is peeling off the walls and this place is just awfully neglected. We finally had enough at 1.30 in the morning as every move the people in the room above us made came through their very creaky floorboards. We could hear other residents urinating and coughing and the snoring from the room above just finished us off. We left our room and called the night manager who wouldn't even discuss giving us a refund for the breakfast we wouldn't be eating. This is actually a two star hotel, not a three star as advertised on its website. I wouldn't give it even one star. I think they've got a cheek asking for sixty pounds a night and I feel quite angry that we've been conned into staying in such an awful place. It says something when you would prefer to drive nearly two hours home in the middle of an especially freezing night than stay in this terrible hovel another minute.

• Liked — The exit sign
  • Disliked — Too many things to mention here
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laura-Danny
PBscar, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Lothersdale Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2008
The staff and I are disappointed to have read this fictitious review and the many false allegations. Please read the other reviews and judge for yourself.
Their review really is an attempt to sour an Hotels good name by someone who only wanted to use the room for a few hours and didn't want to pay for it!
West Midlands
Reviewed 27 May 2007

Having just returned from a 5 day break at this hotel I have nothing but praise for the management and staff.From the moment we arrived we were made welcome, our room was spotless with linen change daily, food was wonderful and the overall atmosphere in the hotel was friendly and home from home. As seasoned travellers we feel that this
hotel is one of the best we have stayed in and would certainly recommend it.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank bargainbreak
Pencoed
Reviewed 23 April 2007

We have stayed at the Lothersdale Hotel with the Bury family every year for the last twenty six years,sometimes twice a year.The rooms are adequate,food is excellent and varied with friendly,attentive staff,a true "Home from Home".
There are truly outstanding views over Morecambe Bay to the Lakeland hills and is positioned ideally for all amenities as well as being a perfect base for touring Lancashire,Cumbria and Yorkshire

• Liked — Home from home
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank JimAnnePencoed
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2004

This is a great family run Hotel offering fantastic views across Morecambe Bay and the Lake District Mountains.

The service is great, personally overseen by the Bury family.

The food is plentyful, hot and good English cooking - the roast beef is the best we've ever tasted.

It may be one of the larger hotels in Morecambe but it's personal service, cleanliness and food gives it a home from Home feel.

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morecambe
The Morecambe Bay Hotel
#4 of 7 in Lancaster
Headway Hotel
Headway Hotel
#6 of 11 in Morecambe

Been to BEST WESTERN Lothersdale Hotel? Share your experiences!