“the best one yet with national” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Strathmore Hotel

Bay Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Morecambe
Leeds, United Kingdom
“the best one yet with national”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

just returned from the strathmore on monday 23rd jan,went for a four day break with national,what a great time we had,the hotel was more then we expected,the food was lovely with a good varied choice,we was in room 114 spotless,would like to thank all the staff from reception,the young lad and lady on the bar [sorry didnt get your names]who were very polite and even had time to converse with everyone,to the housekeeping staff who we never met but did a great job in the rooms and would like to give leon our waiter a special mention who did a grand job in the dining room,now to the moans[sorry but there only minor],there is not enough lighting in the main lounge,only lamps which made it difficult to read a newspaper after breakfast,very dark room,and could of done with a couple of coat hooks ,perhaps on the bathroom door,as we had nowhere to dry our wet coats,we are already planning to come back this summer for a monday to friday one,so hope to see you all then ,thankyou.

3 Thank yvonne057
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Yvonne 057

Thank you for your kind review. I have passed on your praise to all of the team here at the Strathmore.

I have noted your comments and I will take action where required.

I look forward to seeing you again in the summer.

Matt Peacock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
burnley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I have just returned from an all inclusive selfdrive 2 day break with Shearings at the Strathmore. I feel that this was an excellent value for money break. I paid a supplement for a superior room with a seaview and the room we got 203 had a beautiful view and a lovely bathroom. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and the entertainment provided two good nights fun. I agree with some other reviewers that some areas of the hotel need an urgent upgrade ( worn carpets and chipped paintwork ) but on the whole a very enjoyable break at a competative price.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the supplement for an upgraded room
2 Thank deborah028
Dear Deborah 028

I agree that it is worth upgrading to a Superior Room and I am pleased that the Room was to your liking.

I have passed on your praise to all of the staff.

We are in the process of continuing our in house maintenance programme and I hope that I will be able to welcome you back to the Strathmore Hotel in the future when you can see the improvements we have made.

Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

You can usually get 3 nights for this hotel based on 2 sharing at £99 pounds each breakfast and evening meal as well as as much beer between 7.30pm and 10.30pm the food is amazing but the staff are also amazing they put many of the biggest hotel name staff to absolute shame they really do. Seriuosly if anyone moans of gives this hotel less than 5 stars then they must be mad .

Room Tip: even the cheapest rooms are brilliant
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank big-martin5320
Dear Burney Cottage

Wow! Thank you for your wonderful review. I agree that the package you received at the Strathmore is good value.

I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful team working with me at the Strathmore Hotel.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Strathmore Hotel.

Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I have just returned from a coach holiday with Shearings where we stayed here, in one of their own Bay Hotels. I have no hesitation in saying that i really enjoyed my stay here. As soon as we arrived, the General Manager boarded the coach to welcome us to The Strathmore. Check-in was instant and within minutes i was up in my room. My case was delivered to my room very shortly after.
I had a single room which was very comfortable. There was a high standard of housekeeping in the room and everything from the bed sheets to the bathroom were immaculately clean. There was plenty of tea & coffee in the room. There were no complimentary biscuits to have with you tea. Maybe this is something the hotel may consider as a future addition to the rooms as it's always nice to have a biscuit with your tea when in your room. There were 4 small cartons of milk left which wasn't quite enough for me as i like my coffee fairly milky. I left a note in the room the following morning to ask for 6 cartons instead. When i got back from the excursion & went up to my room there were 6 cartons, exactly what i had asked for. You can't say fairer than that!
I had a lovely sea view from my room. I was looking right out over Morecambe bay towards Grange-over-Sands and the Lake District mountains beyond. I am missing that view already since coming home!! The bed i had was very comfortable indeed and there was more than enough space in the room for me. The television was one of those small portable ones but the picture was pretty good.
It's a lovely walk into the town from the hotel. It's flat all the way along the seafront and the views of the bay are a real treat. It is a good 15 minutes walk to town but it's worth it for the superb views along the way. There are regular buses into the town from just outside the hotel which is great if you feel the walk maybe too long.
The food was excellent with plenty of choices. I have to say that i found the portions more than adequate especially when you are eating 3 courses. I never once left the restaurant feeling hungry either at dinner or breakfast. I enjoyed every bit of food i ate here. The porridge was made to perfection! The service in the Dining Room was superb. Our waiter was always friendly and smiling and always asked if we had enjoyed each course at dinner and if we had enjoyed our breakfast. He really did care that we were enjoying the food. Well done Leon!
The entertainment was excellent too with a mixture of fun quizzes, bingo and live cabaret. It was made all the better for me by a win on the bingo on the Thursday evening!
This was a drinks inclusive break with Shearings. The service at the bar was very good indeed. I was never held up for long at all if there was a queue because the bar staff were so efficient and they ran the bar area so smoothly.
To conclude, i was given an excellent, real value for money holiday at The Strathmore, made all the better by the excellent and friendly staff. I was sorry to leave on the Friday morning as i'd had such a great time there. Thank you to you all and keep up the fantastic work!

Room Tip: There are great views across Morecambe Bay to the Lake District mountains from the sea view rooms!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
13 Thank Coachholidayfan
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Dear Coachholidayfan

It really pleases me when the hotel receives a review like yours. I am delighted that you were happy with your room and I agree that the views across the Bay are spectacular.

I have passed on your praise to the kitchen team and of course Leon and the rest of the Restaurant team.

As you have said the package offered is very good value and the bars and entertainment team work very hard to ensure that all of our guests are happy.

I hope that you will come and visit us again at the Strathmore in the near future.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Just returned from a package with National Coaches and overall the hotel was very good. A little dated but clean and tidy and staff very friendly. However... We were allocated to room 112. It is important to know a few things about this room. Firstly DO NOT follow the signs indicating the way to the room. They are incorrect. When you reach the top of the first flight of stairs you will see two signs to the right, one of which indicates the way to room 112. Do not follow this!!! It leads to many other rooms but not 112. Instead, turn immediately left through a door and you will see, to your left, room 112! Secondly we discovered that we could hear a lot of noise coming from the kitchen. We heard the banging of pans, trays etc., peoples voices at times we could hear very clearly what was being said. At one point something was dropped making a loud noise followed by a mans voice shouting and swearing! I asked the receptionist about this. First she told me our room was not above the kitchen, and secondly she pointed out that her kitchen staff would not behave in this matter. She said that the noise must have been from next door. It was dark and difficult to make out where exactly we were so we took her word for it. Next morning however we could clearly see that we were in fact above the kitchen and it would appear impossible that this noise was from next door. Having said all of this, the noise did subside around 8pm and the next morning, possibly due to our complaint we didnt hear a thing. This aside we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel. The meals were adequate, not fantastic but not dissapointing either.

Room Tip: Avoid room 112 if possible. If you can ask for a room with a sea view. The view to the ront of the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ladycatherine26
Dear Ladycatherine26

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found the hotel clean and the staff friendly we take great pride in our Customer care.

I am concerned about your comments reference the noise from the kitchen and I can assure you that we will discuss these comments at our next in house management meeting so that this incident is not repeated.

I hope that you will come and visit us at the Strathmore Hotel again in the future.

CO DURHAM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

just returned from a weekend break with shearings. although very busy the dining staff coped well. our room was larger than we expected with a big bathroom. the food was good and all the staff were very friendly. we had a great break and the hotel staff and the driver were the ones that made it great. many thanks for a lovely time.

Room Tip: we asked for a room at the front and got one with a great sea view
3 Thank CLIPAM
Dear clipam

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Strathmore Hotel.

I agree that I have fantastic staff here at the Strathmore Hotel and I have passed on your praise to all of them.

Thank you for posting your positive review and I hope to see you back in Morecambe in the future.

Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

We have just returned from a Christmas package with Shearings, staying at the Strathmore Hotel and can report how much we enjoyed staying in this hotel.

The hotel rooms were clean and tidy with lots of towels and piping hot water in the bathroom. There was a large dish in our bedroom with a small bottle of Cava, and a miniature of whisky as well as a selection of fresh fruit and some chocolates, presumably as a Christmas greeting, as I can't speak for other times of the year.

The breakfasts and evening dinners couldn't have been bettered. All the meals were hot and plentiful, with lots of variety over the four days and service was quick - thanks to our excellent waiter, Leon, who was amusing and helpful as well. Thanks again Leon. The staff were cheerful and friendly and worked extremely hard to give guests a good Christmas. The manager even dressed up as Santa Claus on Christmas morning, handed out presents and seemed to be enjoying himself a lot.

The evening entertainment was of very good quality. The only minor issue I have here is that we, and the entertainers spent a chunk of the evening waiting for the floor show to start, while bingo was played. Perhaps this would be better done in the afternoon or even in the middle of the act so the artist could have a drink and a rest and whoever wanted to go to bed early could do so, as some of the guests were of the older variety..

Yes, the hotel is shabby and badly in need of bedroom refurbishment, but in spite of this the content inside the package is pure gold, so don't judge the book by its cover. (The radiator in 308 possibly needs bleeding, if you're reading this Mr Peacock, because our room wasn't the warmest in the building).

We would return to the Strathmore, without hesitation if we were in Morecambe, but only as independent travellers, never again as part of a Shearings package, because Shearings have as little interest in the comfort and convenience of their coach passengers as they have in the upkeep and refurbishment of their hotels.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mwoodville
Dear Mwoodville

What a wonderful review, I am pleased that you found your room clean and tidy and that you enjoyed the Christmas goodies in your room.
I will pass on your praise to Leon and all of the staff who all worked very hard over the Christmas period.
I am surprised to read that you thought I was Father Christmas!! It was the real one I promise!!
I have noted your comments about the entertainment and we will look at this for next year, I have also passed on your praise to the entertainment team.
We are in the process of decorating the hotel and I have had the radiator looked at in room 308 and had the issues rectified.

I hope to see you again at the Strathmore Hotel in the future and thank you for taking the time to post your review.