“Very disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Morecambe
Blyth, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

After reading reviews before booking we were looking forward to our trip to the Strathmore, but it was not the hotel as described in the reviews. The hotel is in need of an update, lounge very drab and not comfortable, stains on ceiling, The dining room screened off with black tatty cloth held together with bulldog clips. Food was average and there was no butter on tables for two meals (until a lady complained). Bedroom we were allocated was small with peeling wallpaper and double glazing that had clouded. the bathroom had an extractor that did not work large crack in sink (both reported but no one came to fix extractor, this was necessary as no window in bathroom) Shower cubicle was only made for stick thin people with nowhere to put soap or shampoo. We came home early due to illness and at no time did any staff ask if there was anything they could do to assist. We have had several coach trips and have always been pleased with hotels and food, we dont expect 5* but a bit better than the Strathmore offered.

Room Tip: On on the front of the hotel at least you wont have a view of the dustbins and rubbish.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Epatt
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Dear Epatt

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the Strathmore did not meet your expectation. I have noted your comments ref the lounge and food. I have investigated your concerns about your room and I will rectify the issues you have encountered.

It is a shame that you had to leave early due to illness and I hope you are feeling better.

At the Strathmore we pride ourselves on our high levels of Customer Care and it surprises me that we did not ensure that you had a happy stay. We will strive to ensure that this does not happen again.

Matt Peacock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Essex
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Taken a long time for this review as one of us was taken to hospital in the middle of the night and a lot of time was spent in bed. The food was good, the room comfortable and the entertainment as expected. The only bad point is that the hotel operates two separate entertainment areas and bars and if one of them is in use by an outside party the other bar etc. is not big enough to support the Shearings people.
With regard to all the staff even the maintenance man could not have been more helpful with problems caused by one of us being ill.We did see a lot of him as there was a large hole in the roof where we had to catch the rain in the waste bin
This is in marked cotrast to the reservation staff at Shearings HQ who were not in the least bit interested, We had a holiday boked in France for Xmas and whilst we would not expect to have our money refunded they said it could not be moved to a different date and gave the impression that we could not even give it away. Net loss over £700. Insurance invalid.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Two_ronnies
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Two Ronnies

I hope you are feeling better now. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food, your room and the entertainment at the Strathmore.

I have read your comments about the entertainment area. I assure you that we always use the lounge for the entertainment and it is large enough to cater for all of the hotel residents.

I have passed on your praise to the staff and I apologise for the leak in your bedroom.

Thanks for your review and I hope to see you again.

Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Spent 5 days at this hotel from 26 March. Room clean, food good and our waiter Leon was very helpful. The only downside to our week was room 210. It was small and very stuffy due to limited window opening which was made worse by it being a very warm and sunny few days. After spending a very uncomfortable first night I enquired the following morning to see if we could move to another better ventilated room. I was told by the man on reception that there were no rooms available as the hotel was fully booked. There were two coaches statying there and I know that they were not full coaches. I wasn't even offered the chance to upgrade.
After four very uncomfortable, sleepless nights I returned home and now suffering flu.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ann C
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Dear Ann C

The warm weather during your stay was exceptional for March, I am sorry if this caused you discomfort during your stay. I can assure you that if we had spare rooms we would have happily moved you.

I am pleased that you found the other aspects of your stay to your liking and I hope you are feeling better now.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Montrose
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Enjoyed our 4 day inclusive break at the Strathmore, very good value for the money we paid, food was good (breakfast excellent), no complaints, rooms adequate (book the sea view), entertainment ( some good some not so good, but fun all the same), quizzes and bingo most nights, most of the staff very competent.

On the minus side, I like alcohol free lager, which was on the inclusive drinks list, I asked for this on our first night and was told that it was not available, no further explanation, no suitable alternative offered, had to settle for fruit juice for the rest of my stay.

Played golf at Morcambe & Heysham clubs, good courses at reasonable prices, good food in clubhouses.

Room Tip: High floor with sea view, 1 lift in hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank LochLeeGlenesk
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Brechin Montrose

Thank you for your review. I agree that the package offered here at the Strathmore hotel is very good value and I am glad that you found the food to be good and that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay.

I am sorry to read about the problem you had at the bar and I have rectified this issue.

I hope to see you again in the future when you will be able to enjoy an alcohol free lager.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Stayed 5 days , brilliant value, food and service excellent,was given a superior room absolutely fantastic.
I except a few area,s need touching up,but based upon the cost , we received excellent value for money.

• Stayed March 2012
6 Thank ipswic
Dear Ipswic

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Strathmore and that you found the food and service to be excellent.

We are in the process of touching up areas with our in house maintenance programme.

I hope to see you again in the future and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

North East
Reviewed 27 February 2012

everything spot on. Cant fault it. Don t bother going into finnagans the bar in the hotel next door. We called In for a drink and the bar maid was very abrupt. As we stood at the empty bar she said move out the way i am serving there. Soon after she put two drinks on the counter where we had been standing and someone came and got them. No idea why she needed to use that bit.

• Stayed February 2012
8 Thank GrannieCaz
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Grannie Caz

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you again soon.

lincolshire
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We have just returned from a 5 day break with shearings, staying at this hotel. We cannot fault anything at all to do with the break ( except the weather, but even then its only February) The hotel is very clean, warm and the staff all very friendly. The beds are very comfy and the bedrooms clean. The choice of menu is excellent and the food very good. Leon in the restaurant is a credit to them, nothing is too much trouble, and he always has a little quipp to say to everyone. Alan the coach driver is brilliant, his knowledge of the area is exceptional, would definetly reccommend the optional excursion. Many thanks to all for making it all so enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank holidaysLincolshire
Dear holidayslincolshire

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your praise to Leon and Alan. I agree that Alan is a very good driver with local knowledge that is second to none.

I hope to see you again when hopefully the weather is kinder to you.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.