“A most pleasant stay”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Morecambe
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A most pleasant stay”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

An old hotel that has the feel of the last century - but probably not that old. Light and airy rooms and really great, helpful staff made for a pleasant stay.

The views out of the sea-facing rooms are stunning and we watched the sunset over the hills across Morecambe Bay.

The only downside for us was that there were no freeview channels on the TV; we're low tech and travel light!

We would certainly choose to stay at The Clarendon again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: The hotel wasn't noisy at all - even on Friday night - the views from the sea-view rooms are stu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ihavetastebuds
Clarendon H, Front Office Manager at The Clarendon Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us recently and i will pass the message on to all the staff.

We are actually in the middle of changing our old televisions and implementing freeview to our bedrooms and on your next visit we will hopefully have that installed!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Clarendon Hotel very soon!

Regards
Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

1st visit I ordered a hummous & guacamole with pitta starter. When it came, there was no guacamole. The waitress was lovely when I commented, but returned to apologise that there was no guacamole left. Nothing was mentioned at the time of ordering,no alternative was offered as a replacement and we were charged full price when paying the bill. 2nd visit, I took a friend visiting from abroad, for lunch. The sausages, for me, were absolutely delicious but some would have found them to be well overdone as the outers were very hard. The mustard mash was lovely and the onion gravy scrummy. My friend however ordered a baked potato which arrived with the prawns and marie rose sauce doing nothing to hide how black the inside of the potato was. She showed the waiter who immediately apologised and took it away. It didn't take too long for a replacement to arrive and initially, this one looked OK. However, once she'd started eating, it became blatantly obvious that this potato was also black inside and whoever was dishing it up couldn't possibly have failed to see this. They must have just hoped that we wouldn't notice by perhaps eating with our eyes closed?!! My friend ate the prawns and left the potato, black for all to see. The waiter apologised again and did offer a complimentary sweet but my friend declined. My partner arrived a little later to join us for a drink and when he went to the bar to order a drink, the Asian looking man asked him to pay our bill! HE HADN'T EATEN ANYTHING AND HAD ONLY JUST ARRIVED!! He did pay but said nothing to either my friend or I. We left shortly after my friend's husband arrived and as I went to pay, this was when my partner said he'd already paid. I was annoyed that he'd paid the full bill as I was certainly going to complain about the horrid potatoes. We went out for an evening meal later that night with the same couple where it came up in conversation that my friend had also paid the bill after we had left. What really angers me was that it was to the same Asian looking gentleman and as there were so few other people eating when we were there I really can't see how he could've overlooked the fact he'd asked my partner to pay 10 minutes previously. We felt terrible that our friend had thought we'd walked out leaving them to pay the bill. We drove back after our meal but the manageress wasn't there. We spoke with a younger woman who fiddled about with the very small number of bills she had - perhaps 4?! We kept trying to explain and finally she admitted that yes she did have two identical bills - that wasn't what she was puzzling over. It was what till to take the money out of!!! She hadn't thought to tell us she knew we were telling the truth! She decided on a till and gave us the EXACT price of our bill, counting out the 40p! No asking if we'd paid more I.e., a tip, which he had done as he didn't know about the manky potatoes at that point, no good will gesture, nothing to compensate for having to drive back from Lancaster to sort it out and a 'sorry' only as an afterthought as we started to walk towards the door. So... There is no excuse for the second potato being black, the member of staff should NOT have asked someone ordering a drink who had not eaten, to pay for two lunches he hadn't even been there for and to then take payment for the exact same bill 10 minutes later and not remember is inexcusable. The waiter and waitress are very charming and friendly however the more senior members made me feel I was the one putting them out. They are not above the requirement for good manners. Customers should not have to pay for only half of what they ordered or for sub quality food and when known to be in the wrong, it shouldn't be the customer who's made to feel bad and made to stand and wait whilst which till is being decided. PAY UP, APOLOGISE, GIVE A GOOD WILL GESTURE (free starter and/or discount off next visit, free glass of wine etc. SOMETHINGTO BRING THE CUSTOMER BACK AND HOPEFULLY IMPRESS THEM NEXT TIME - GEEZ IT'S NOT DIFFICUL)!! But they did none of these. I won't be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Karen

I am glad to hear that your waitress met with your expectations, as with your sausage and mash.

I am however sorry to hear about your comments on our food and senior staff:

I have spoken to the Kitchen regarding the issues you raised in your comments, please be assured that this is a one off and i will make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

When we run out of any particular item on the menu, we will always advise our guests and offer an alternative and i will take your comments on board with further staff training.

It is not our practice to ask anyone to pay their bill until they come to the Desk/Till & i genuinely do not recall asking any guests to pay any bill.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for any mix up with the payments if that was the case.

I have spoken to my Food & Beverage Manager - Whenever there are any claims of overpayment, she has to check the bills first before issuing a refund, i apologise if that took a little longer than you expected.

Please let me assure you that this is not our usual practice and we hope you make another visit so that we can regain your trust in us.

I will be happy to speak to you personally to book another visit and discuss the issues raised in your comments further 01524 410 180.

Yours Sincerely
The Clarendon Hotel
Burgas, Bulgaria
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here for the first time for a family party. We had a small but functional room that was well decorated and clean. The room had all the amenities you would expect. My only problem with the room was that it had no natural light as the only window looked directly onto a wall.

We had a delicious 3 course meal in the beautifully decorated function room on the first floor. The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the course in the evening. At no point did anyone try to move us from the function room even at 4am while some of us were still up drinking wine!

There was plenty of options for cooked breakfast along with a continental selection and various fruit juices.

Overall a very good stay and would recommend to anyone

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GretelRatzinger
Dear Gretel

Thank you so much for your kind comments with regards to your function and stay.

We strive to make all our guests feel welcomed at The Clarendon and i will certainly pass the message on to our team.

If you are back in Morecambe again, please call myself or my team direct and we will allocate a seaview room if available.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Clarendon Hotel!

Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel succeeds in combining the ethos of a good traditional hotel with the level of service demanded in the modern world. A great deal of this is thanks to the staff who came to The Clarendon from The Elms (another Mitchells hotel) when it was sold to property developers - in particular Jackie the manager and her assistant manager Calvin (who fortunately choose to stay here).

Since writing the last review, we have been to the hotel after a sad occasion, the funeral of a dear friend. She had great affection for the place because they had catered so well for her husband's funeral tea - and she would have been delighted with the whole thing: a great buffet of very varied snacks and the kindly expertise of the staff.

Last week we chose the hotel for a cheery reason - the 83rd birthday of a good pal. The table was decorated with balloons and silvery bits and the staff were most attentive.

It is so relaxing to know that you are in good hands!

Room Tip: Sea front and - best of all - the first floor suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank G and B R
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your kind comments, it was a pleasure to cater for the 83rd Birthday Lunch!

I will pass the comments on to the staff and Jackie and we look foward to welcoming you back to The Clarendon Hotel.

Manchester
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Took a small group to Waterfront restaurant for a 3 course meal, staff very attentive polite catered for all your needs and the food was excellent from start to finish brilliant night and we will be back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angel B
Dear Guest

I am so pleased you had a nice evening at The Clarendon. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and such a lovely review.

I will pass your kind comments to the staff involved and we hope to welcome you back to The Clarendon soon.

Regards
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We celebrated our wedding at the Clarendon in Sept13. Manager Jackie couldn't do enough for us in the planning period and extremely professional on the day. Being registered for weddings meant we could have everything in one place. We only had 40 guests but the standard of service was that good we were treated as though we had 100. Decoration was A+, the food was A+ and accommodation A+. CAN'T RECOMMEND THE CLARENDON ENOUGH.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank lynne k
Dear Lynn

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very kind feedback.

I am so glad you enjoyed your Wedding Day! I will pass your comments to Jackie and all the staff and we wish you all the best for your future!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Clarendon Hotel.

Yours Sincerely

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here at the start of cycling to Bridlington for the Coast to Coast. Perfect budget accommodation and the staff couldnt have been more helpful. Good meal in the restaurant too. Beds a little too soft for me though ......

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Linsey C
Dear Linsey

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and such a lovely review, i am really pleased you had a nice stay at The Clarendon Hotel.

I will pass the message on regarding your bed and we will take your comments on board.

We hope to welcome you back to The Clarendon very soon!

Deputy Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morecambe
Travelodge Morecambe
#2 of 10 in Morecambe
Holiday Inn Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#5 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to The Clarendon Hotel? Share your experiences!