“A mediocre / bland hotel in a beautiful location”

Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madeley
London, UK
“A mediocre / bland hotel in a beautiful location”
Reviewed 21 July 2004

Booked this hotel on-line at a business rate of £125. This rate stated clearly that it included dinner, bed and breakfast, a 10 minute phonecall, a glass of wine, a room upgrade and a couple of other perks. The hotel building itself is beautiful. An old stone house, with lovely, although small grounds. I looked forward to seeing my room! I should not have got my hopes up as it was shabby to say the least. Although quite large, it was desperate for a good, thorough clean at the least but ideally a complete overhaul. No mini-bar, no safe, no ironing board, blankets on the beds with old and tatty bed covers, no centrally controlled lighting, and no air conditioning. I decided to have my food in the room as I was tired and hungry after a long day. My spirits were lifted by the apparently French menu. I ordered a Spring Vegetable Terrine with roasted red pepper coulis, a French cassoulet and a lemon tart. It arrived on time, and delivered by two staff. However, I can say that this is the singularly most revolting and overpriced room service meal I have EVER had. The terrine was no more than two mouthfuls and was in fact raw vegetables pressed into a shape (£4.50), the Cassoulet was no more than an inch and a half of beans and a sausage patty (!) in a cast iron bowl (£9.75) with what tasted like an ounce of salt - it was attrocious! It was accompanied by mashed potato which had not been mixed with any butter or milk or even olive oil. It was dry and luke warm. Cassoulet is one of the most delicious French dishes, filling country food. It was genuinely revolting. The lemon tart (£4.50) was made from nearly raw pastry. The whole thing was outrageously bad and over-priced - trying to be something it was't. They should have stuck to good old English or French bistro fayre that could not be ruined. A bad night's sleep under scratchy blankets was followed by breakfast where the croissants, grapefruit segments AND yoghurt had all run out. I couldn't be bothered to wait. However I had to wait at chekout whilst they tried to charge me for my phonecall, my meal and my glasss of wine, denying that I was a business class rate. A rude front of house employee told me twice that I was wrong, and still did not apologise when I produced my confirmation - proving them wrong. I was 10 minutes late for my meeting. A bad experience all round. The first and last time with this chain. Never again.

7 Thank sarahpartridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 January 2004

I went to the Clarion Hotel Telford with my family when my Nanna turned 70. The staff were all very friendly, and the rooms were wonderful. I was in a historic room which was very cosy and traditional. My auntie's room was in the east wing, and even though it was modern, it was lovely. I especially liked the food and the jacuzzi in the rooms.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madeley
Best Western Valley Hotel
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#3 of 21 in Telford

Been to Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel? Share your experiences!