“Disappointing!”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have eaten there several times in the past and the food and service has been good but this week was very disappointing. It took me 6 calls on Monday to book a table for 6 on Tuesday. Each time no-one answered, then I was disconnected. I rang the Head Office who assured me it was open and suggested I email. I tried calling later in the afternoon and someone answered and took my booking.

When we arrived on Tuesday the booking hadn't been noted (this also happened a couple of months previously) but it didn't matter as the place was almost empty. The young man who served us was very attentive and could not be faulted. I had Scampi, with chips and peas. The Scampi was fine but the chips, although served in a little frying basket were only warm. One friend had the carvery but the vegetables were hard, you couldn't get a fork into them and I noticed some people at a nearby table had not eaten theirs. Worse still, two friends ordered sandwiches, one cheese and I believe the other was gammon, both were made with cheap white sliced bread and had no butter or spread in them! We had to ask for some butter!

The service was fine but badly let down by the food.

We'll be looking for somewhere else to meet next time.

3  Thank Sheila S

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Long wait terrible service and to expensive the food was warm do not get the go large option as you get the same amount of food anyway

2  Thank Regsvr
Reviewed 19 July 2014

You will always get an excellent Sunday carvery here! Our favourite venue for a family get together, we use this a lot. Let's hope that now it's been bought by Mitchell's and Butlers ( and may be turned into a Toby Carvery?) the quality of the food doesn't change for the worse. Currently, the management and staff do a great job. They are welcoming and the service is great. The chefs are friendly and serve good portions. The vegetable selection is varied and plentiful. A great venue to enjoy a good meal on a Sunday.

1  Thank BrianAston
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Have been before as it is near to my friends when I visit. I have it admit I usually do avoid the carvery as vegetables kept warm do not appeal. I have to say never again! The beef was ok, my friend said the turkey was very good but the vegetables were cold and tasteless and the gravy was thick like custard and yorkshires, ugh! I should have gone for the lasagne I think! The bar staff are very good and look very smart and it wasn't expensive and other food looked good but not being a chip fan not a lot of other choices. Sat by window and exterior patio slabs and general area grubby.

2  Thank Brenda T
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife met a few of her old friends at Crown Point for Friday lunch and ordered sandwiches. After 50 minutes, they asked where their sandwiches were and were told that they were just being arranged on the plates
they arrived ten minutes later! Waiting an hour for sandwich is unacceptable

2  Thank Brian C