“Dreadful meal! Poor value for money” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Matador Restaurant

El Matador Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 119 Restaurants in Sevenoaks
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kent
“Dreadful meal! Poor value for money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We ate at El Matador expecting fantastic steaks.... How wrong we were! The tapas was overpriced and tasteless. The chorizo bean stew had no chorizo or black pudding, two of the ingredients listed in it...bland prawns on a skewer and tiny portions. Perhaps the wine would cheer us up.... Nope... Our first three choices, Chablis, Sancerre, Gavi?.."sorry, out of stock". They were also out of stock of rib-eye steak! I opted for a 7 oz sirloin which at £32.50 with no sides should have melted in the mouth.....wrong again... Tough and dry. Lovely young waitress, inadequately trained as she knew nothing about the menu or the wines although was very apologetic and pleasant.. Not her fault just bad management.
I would recommend that you just go there for a bowl of fat cut chips which were good but again overpriced.
Never again!

8 Thank SantenayKent
ElMatadorSevenoaks, Owner at El Matador Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Mrs. Santenay
We are extremely saddened to read you review. All our customers are invited to complete comment cards when visiting us and on thurday we received 10 such cards, all very complimentary. That your experience with us was so different from all of these is indeed distressing. As you did not complete a comment card we are unable to communicate with you directly about your disappointments, but should you wish to communicate personally please email me on info@elmatador.co
We really apologies for your bad experience and hope you give us the port unity to make this good.

With best wishes, El Matador Team

London
“Fantastic find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner a week ago at El Matador. We both opted for the rib eye steak cooked at the table on a hot stone. I like my steak medium rare and was sceptical about whether it would overcook but I have to say it was absolutely cooked to perfection. It kept it lovely and hot without turning it to overdone.

The service was very good and the restaurant had a really buzzy atmosphere.

We will definitely be returning and are pleased we have a wonderful restaurant so close to home.

Beckenham
“Lovely meal but what is it with Lounge 49”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have been to El Matador on several occasions now and I have never been disappointed with the food. My sister, who was with me on our last visit likes her steak cremated! And so she was able to cook it how she liked without any opposition! The staff are also so friendly and attentive and the service was great.

However, I still cannot get my head round the upstairs 'dance' area - Lounge 49. The first time we went upstairs it was after our meal and quite late; it was buzzing with great music and great atmosphere. But the last few times it has been dead. No music and no people! Could it have something to do with the fact that the bar closes at 11.30? How can you have a dance area that closes even before the restaurant? I'm sure we were there later before. It is such a shame because it could be the icing on the cake and make for a really great night out.

I would still visit El Matador for the food but not if looking for a lively night out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, slightly overpriced!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We visited El Matador on a Tuesday night and the restaurant was about half full but atmosphere was quite pleasant still. We had a mixture of tapas to start which was lovely, though the bean stew was slightly small for its price. We then had a burger and a steak for main with some chips as a side. The steak came on the hot plate so I could cook it myself. The meat was lovely but having to pay for sauces and sides made it a very expensive choice, I would have perhaps liked one free side with the food. The burger was really nice and the chips were very well cooked. We had two glasses of wine with the meal, one of which we had to send back as it tasted like it had been sat out on the side for a while. However the service was great and replaced it to us for free. We shared a chocolate fondant for pudding which was nice but I would have liked it to be melted in the middle. Overall a really meal with good service but for the price I probably wouldn't return!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank B K
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Oh, dear”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We know the owners and had a fantastic experience on the opening night.

Unfortunately our experience yesterday was a disappointment. We decided to have a selection of Tappas rather than a steak. The Tappas were amateurish, very basic, uninspiring and not what we'd expect of Hugo. We know that they take a lot of pride in their restaurant but for £60.00 spent on Tappas we left hungry and dejected. Hope this was just a blip guys. Apparently Hugo and his wife are on holiday but this is no excuse.

• Visited April 2014