“Conferences and meetings”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hartlepool B&B and Inns
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Conferences and meetings”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I've not slept at the Oakroyd. I have however used their facilities for catered gatherings/meetings of around 25 people, and I can say that the owners and staff are extremely friendly, very helpful and very well organised. Food was really good quality and served promptly and the way in which they handled everything from serving food, supplying drinks and coffee and organising the layout of rooms and equipment was very good. A real pleasure to do business with them and I would recommend them for either a stay or for a function or meeting.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

London
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I've stayed at the oakroyd on many occasions and it's unlike any other hotel I have stayed in.

It is currently on my companies "preferred list" and the staff always remember me and my preferences every time I stay there, for me it's honestly like staying with family.

It is a small family run business and is just a joyous environment to be in. They sometimes have live music and gatherings in the bar which are fantastic fun to attend.

The rooms are good and have everything you need for a small overnight business trip like mine.

The Oakroyd is not a generic hotel, it's one of the few sweet, traditional family run hotels still in existence. Personally, I think if your working in the area, you'd be a fool not tostay here. Even if only to get to know the great family and friends that run this cosy little hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Pooler, Georgia
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I visited with my partner and the hotel was very lovely! The owners were very friendly and breakfast was fantastic! We found that our room was very nice an clean and homely. The beds were very comfy........don't know what the other reviews were talking about! We will defiantly stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Stayed here for one night with two friends so we had the triple room. Paid £69 on arrival for the room. The owners were very welcoming and friendly but the rest of the B&B was really poor quality. The room was freezing with no option to turn the radiator on- or we couldn't work it out and there were no instructions. The bathroom floor was dirty and as was one of the towels. The shower would not become warm so my friend went to ask the owner for some help, she arrived promptly and sorted the hot water for us but as soon as she'd left and I stepped into the shower it was freezing cold again....despite me not changing the settings.

The worst thing about the whole night was the mattresses were absolutely terrible. They had visible sag to them on lifting up the duvet, and you could feel EVERY spring in them!! I managed to get some sleep but had backache the next day, and my friends did not manage to sleep at all.

Breakfast was nice the next day and again the service was good, but the room had a lot left to be desired and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank yorks121
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed with friends for the Great North Run. Our friends stayed here last year and were back again this year. We thought it was clean and suited our needs. The couple that own the hotel were lovely and really really helpful and friendly. Breakfast on a Sunday is usually 8.00am but they got it ready at 6.30am for everyone. If we run the GNR next year, we are staying here again. Some of the other visitors were repeat visitors too. p.s. we loved their dog.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Great Britain
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We were glad we only stayed one night. We were in a shabby room, the shower did not work and the bathroom floor was filthy. The mattresses had sagged totally - the beds must have been ancient. We thought the house smelt of dogs. This is a very basic guest house.

There was no buffet at all at breakfast - not even for cereal. The breakfast was acceptable but very basic.

We did not think this hotel was anything like its website.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nettyfitz
mandyoakroyd, Owner at Oakroyd, responded to this review, 6 March 2011
Thank you for your review as this can help us improve ourselves further. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us however if you have mentioned these things while you were with us we would of done our best to rectify the problem. I'm afraid that a buffet at breakfast for a small hotel like ourselves is just unfeasible however we do provide everything you could ask for from croissants to kippers! As far as the mattresses go thank you for telling us about this as they have now all been changed. As I mentioned before if you had only told us this when staying with us we could of changed your room. We always endeavour to have the highest standards of hygiene so I find it unusual that you found the room dirty and once again apologise, I can assure you that all our rooms are now sparkling. Our bathroom floors have a specific non slip surface for your safety I can assure you that they are not dirty. I would kindly ask that you remove your pictures as this is no longer a true reflection of our hotel.

Once again thank you for review

Mandy Mountney