“Rubbish!”

Norton Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
“Rubbish!”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Well ..where shall we start. We arrived on Monday 16th July; greeted by Sue who from the expression on her face didn't appear to know she had any guests arriving! Upon stepping into the building, there were drilling and hammering sounds, due to a leaky shower and we were told on numerous occasions, 'if we could buy a hotel all over again, we wouldn't buy an old building', ofcourse leaving us with a really pleasant feeling about our forthcoming stay there ..not! We were then shown the room, which was 'supposed to be a family room'. They told us that it would fit the three of us and our large dog! Room was small, cramped and the bathroom was horrible (in need of maintenance). The shower didn't have any pressure and we couldn't keep it at a constant temperature, they expected us to put our daughter in this shower as there was no bath (in a supposed family room), shower was taped up in various places, it was awful and untidy! Window in bathroom didn't open and there was no extractor fan. We were just lucky that we were also visiting family on our trip as we had to bath our daughter there every night! Towels were very few and it took me stripping the beds one morning just to get the sheets changed. A couple of days later, we had spilt a small amount of tea on the duvet cover and it was never changed again for the rest of the trip! We returned to the hotel one evening, ready for bed, to find that the bedroom window had been left open and due to the warmth outside, the room was full of flies! To the point where we had to ask for a hoover to clear the flies from the window. There was no apology and they offered no assistance. Breakfast was good but the water for tea/coffee was mingin' and left a scum on top of the water. The agreed price prior to visiting was £46 per night when we booked over the phone, but they charged us £50 per night upon leaving. We queried the price and she said this was the price of the 'supposed family room'. We were about to head in to say a final Goodbye before leaving, only to overhear Sue bad-mouthing us in the kitchen to her staff about us querieing the price of the room. Leaving a sour note to the end of our trip. Moral of the story: If you can't run a hotel, don't run one at all! We will never stay there again ..ever! Just warning all you people out there, avoid like the plague!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank holidaysKEM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Great place to stop. Really friendly proprietors - Howie and Sue. Good food, comfortable rooms, great view. Who could ask for more?

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Madeirantraveller
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I am not a big fan of working away these days but my stay with Sue and Howie was home from home warm and friendly, So weather its buisness or pleasure you will enjoy your stay, I travelled from Basingstoke in hampshire easy to find the summer must be fantastic their if you stop at the Norton so if you need that warm friendly atmosphere do not miss this little gem.
Many thanks to the Norton for my 8 days away.
Steve the painter

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank steve0336
Virginia Water
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks whilst working at the local hospital ( I am a surgeon). Super clean rooms and bathrooms. The restaurant and the main TV and sitting area is very cosy and friendly.
Breakfast was great, despite being a pescatorian and limited menu - it was filling and sumptuous at the same time.
The room was super spacious and was very comfortable, quiet. I had the room at the back so sadly no view to the beautiful sea that was just across the road.
I enjoyed every minute with the hosts who were to do all to make me part of the family and even would keep an eye on the car if parked on the street around the Green, and not in the free car park (CCTV is facing to the free car park and onto the street - so very safe to park my new Lexus and sleep at ease).
Very down to earth and humble loving couple own the hotel - very approachable,
Very altruist are the hosts, from seeing the array of thank you and newspaper clips, helping the community in all ways.
I am sorry to have gone after only 2 weeks.
A great clean respectable hotel for professionals, for romantic couples for a weekend break or even for family to come - you will 100% not be disappointed to be here at all. one of the best place I have stayed in the world. I jest not.
I do hope to hear from them, after leaving my contact details with them.
You will thoroughly enjoy the super good value priced rooms with 5* service with the traditional British style service.
Thank you for looking after me for the duration of my time there. Much obliged Howard and Sophie :)

MrT :)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank DrT_MD
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Very easy clean and comfortable living. Very friendly staff. Lovely homemade meals. Would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank Peter1302
York
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I stayed at the Norton Hotel for 4 weeks in September 2009. During my time there, I was offered the utmost genuine hospitality by the owners, and enjoyed the luxury of my own En-Suite which was clean and tidy on arrival, and subject to a regular room cleaning service that made my return to the Hotel on evenings a real welcome back. Meals were plentiful and of the utmost top quality. Of all the hotels I have ever stayed in, I have never had the pleasure the personal touch that you will get at The Norton Hotel.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank KeithDYork
York
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Stayed for a few nights and the owners Sue and Howie couldn't do enough to keep me happy. Breakfast was excellent and the views gorgeous. Everything I wanted was nearby and the place clean and tidy. It's a bit of a trek if you're on the top floor but you get that everywhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business