“Bit hit and miss.”

Ranked #137 of 229 Restaurants in Hartlepool
Price range: US$6 - US$11
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, View, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Outdoor Seating
Description: We offer a welcoming atmophere for customers of all ages. The Place in the Park is set within the ground of Ward Jackson Park -Hartlepool's Premier Historic Public Park. We are open throughout the year 10am - 6pm and only close on Christmas Day. We offer a wide selection of light snacks and meals. Why not treat yourself to one of our famous Afternoon Teas.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I used to go here regularly when walking dog or just to pop in on my way home. It's a bit hit and miss on quality and service depending on which staff are working/serving.

They sell everything from bacon buns, hotdogs, toasties and sandwiches to jacket potatoes and homemade corned beef pies as well as homemade cakes and ice creams.

The food mainly is very tasty with decent sized portions, I've had toasties, jackets and corned beef pie and salad and scones, mostly with a latte. They're maybe a little overpriced compared to other places but still good value. It's nice to eat in but I normally went over the winter during the week when the kids were at school. There's a secondary school nearby so at finishing time there's long queues of teens buying sweets etc At weekends and holidays as it's in a park next to the kids playground the queues are massive, it's also full of kids with no manners and parents who don't care if they're running round someone else's table in circles screaming. That's not really the fault of the owners but I think if someone's child's being very disruptive and unnecessarily noisy then the staff could politely ask the parents to control them. Unfortunately it seems to be most children there and they're bringing in a lot of business. It's my personal preference to stay away at those times.

Some of the staff are really friendly and others are the rudest people I've ever met in my life. I once ordered a caramel latte and knew the price, I'd watched her make it and didn't see any syrup put in and when I was charged just the latte price I asked if it had caramel in it. The woman bit my head off and practically shouted at me "no that's cos you didn't ask for caramel!!' I then said 'I did but you can't have heard me,' and she started snapping at me again 'no you didn't do you want it in it'll cost more!' I nearly left as I was fuming and never went back.
Other problems I've had before that include the coffees consistently being lukewarm even when asking for them to be extra hot, if you ask for just hot you get sarcastic remarks such as we only sell hot coffee, when actually they're lukewarm and by the time you've got back to the car when getting takeouts they're hardly worth drinking. I've been told once we're only allowed to heat them to a certain temperature, I've worked in coffee shops and that's about 85 degrees, not barely warm.
I called in once and asked if they could do cream scones to takeaway, I've had them in and they're delicious with fresh whipped cream. I was told yes, and received a warmed fruit scone cut in half with a knife, jam, butter and whipped cream all separate, I can't remember whether the cream was in a little pot but they were all in a takeaway box. I was very impressed and on another occasion called in specially to get another. I asked for it warm and after ages waiting had a paper bag shoved at me. It contained a sort of warm scone already made up with a scraping of jam and squirty cream not proper cream in the middle that collapsed and ran out into the corners of the bag and all over the napkin it was wrapped in. I was charged the same price as the proper cream scone. There was also no knife and the napkin was useless. It wasn't much better being washed down with my barely hot latte.

3  Thank Hellyfoos

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Hi love this place popped in with my little friend we ate a sandwich which was well presented good value very friendly staff a credit to Maria , will call in week , good varied menu good prices all i will say a lot of children in for icecreams drinks etc had no manners what so ever ! The staff deserve more respect pl sat sun its for kids but through week its ideal for adults then a stroll around park x

1  Thank harla95
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a lovely little cafe set in Ward Jackson Park, they serve a good range of coffees/latte/cappuccinos etc and the menu is good with soup, sandwiches, all day breakfast, teacakes etc on offer. there is also a nice selection of homemade cakes. In addition there is a rnage of fancy goods to buy such as shabby chic signs, photo frames etc,

3  Thank SJL54
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I got recommended to visit Ward Jackson Park and to visit the cafe. The park was good fun with plenty to do and see. The cafe was excellent with great service from the friendly staff and the food was very good. We will visit again and make sure we head to the place in the park.

2  Thank gordon s
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This cafe is situated in our local park, we didn't need to book, the food was freshly prepared, delicious and stylishly served on tiered cake stands but what really set this apart was the service, nothing was a trouble and even though we only numbered two they let us sit in the private alcove. Marie and Emily thank you.

1  Thank Pat H