“Sunday Lunch”
Review of Staincliffe Hotel

Staincliffe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
Reviewed 12 February 2013

All vegetables are microwaved to death.
Yorkshire Puddings are re-heated in the oven.
Gravy is dark and salty.
The brisket we had was cooked by a novice, tough as old boots.
We have had Sunday lunch a few times and each time the vegetables are the same.
The Brisket has been tender in the past.
We wont be going back.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rara B

Reviewed 6 February 2013

As my sister was getting married in the hotel we decided to stay for a long weekend and make a little holiday of it. After spending time on the phone talking to a young lady about my requirements and family group it was arranged for me to have a sea front suite for me and the husband and a family suite for the three grown up children. I payed by credit card on booking hoping this would secure my rooms. On arrival i was given the keys to my rooms only to find that we had a twin room rather than a suite. I promptly complained only to be told that that was what i had payed for and the hotel was full and they could not move us as the hotel was fully booked.Absolutely no negotiation or discussion regarding this,i asked to speak to the manager to be told he was not available and that the receptionist would speak to him when she could,talk about starting your weekend off on the wrong foot. eventually we had to settle into the rooms as it was apparrent that it was futile arguing anymore with the girl on reception,
The rooms were incredibly small with, in the twin room, only room for two single beds with a bedside cabinet for space and sufficient room to walk to the bed,in fact there was more spare space in the en suite than the bedroom. in the family room the twin room was small with walking space around the bed which was an iron type bed which sqeeked when you moved. and in the twin room,which was the smallest room i have ever seen to fit two people in there was litterally two single beds and a bedside cabinet with cabinet width space between the beds. the bathroom was again more spacious. Talking about the bathroom,there were no complimentry toiletries in either if the bathroom and you would think that the prices this hotel charges they would at least have had this little nicety. both rooms were cold with no central heating turned on but a little heater was in the room which we were able to plug in,one didn't work so we borrowed one from my sisters room.
you would expext the family room to be situated in a quiet part of the hotel as you would expect this room to be used with children it was in fact above the bar area which was noisy til about 11.30 pm and then you could hear the staff through the night talking or watching tv and then the morning staff arrive from about 7am
The room situation was never rectified over the weekend and no apology from the manager issued, the least they could have done in my opinion.
the only thing that i can say positivel was that the food in the Hotel is very nice and presented beautifully so thank goodness they have a god chef there.
In view that my sister got married there and the hotel was fully booked for the wedding party, and the money we spent in the hotel on food and drink, i don't feel the staff went the extra mile to ensure guests had a super experience.I for one will not be booking into this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone i know,the premier inn is a much better option, much cheaper and comfortable.highly dissatisfied.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms 22to 26 they are over the bar,so very noisy until late at night and you can hea...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank harmera
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here on New Years Eve after booking their party night. The staff were very friendly and accommodating even telling us where other members of our group were. The next morning we were a little late for breakfast but they still offered to make us something. Our room was beautiful and looked out over the seafront.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the seafront
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Victoria S
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Unfortunately despite reading and hearing good reports on this establishment the accommodation lacked. On a January night once checked in, we went to the room only to find that the room was extremely cold, no central heating switched on and only an electric heater left in the corner for ourselves to turn on which took a good hour or two to heat the room fully. The shower was instantly hot which was good, however the shower head was spraying in all directions! Again, no heating switched on in the bathroom.

The cleanliness of the room was overall very good.

The bar and restaurant areas are the best side of the hotel, new looking with a choice of 3 eating areas: bar food, fine dining and the grill. Plenty of seating, good atmospheres and quick turnaround on orders.

Returning back to the room and we found ourselves on top of some function in the function room (directly below our room). We might had well of been in the function. The noise was horrendous! Very bad for the rooms upstairs as you could not clearly hear the TV over the noise. Fortunately the function ended at 22:30 so was able to have some peace afterwards.

A full english breakfast was ordered in the morning (as soon as breakfast started at 7am) and arrived within 15 minutes. Great quality and service.

We checked out late due to finishing our work early and we ended up with an early checkout charge, albeit this was probably within the terms and conditions of the booking the hotel was not bothered about: 1) the amount of money in total my colleagues had spent in the hotel; 2) the give and take on customer service/experience - if they are looking to put repeat business off they are going in the right direction!

When we return to the area I shall be looking at other establishments.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 20+ to avoid being above the function room and the 'cold' half of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank James S
Reviewed 10 January 2013

There isn't a review page for the Canoe Bar (badly named after a criminal I know) but I had to write a review because I've had some fish and chips in my time, being born and bred in Seaton Carew, and Whitby being one of my favourite places, BUT the fish and chips in the Canoe Bar are absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've ever had in my life and I'm fussy. The chips are triple cooked and to die for and the fish is chunky, fresh, succulent and the batter is spot on. There isn't much of an atmosphere in there but if you want a walk down the Front and some good food, I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Sorry this isn't about the hotel but there wasn't a page for the bar
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TSHart64
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I came here for the Christmas party and over. The room itself was very nice and comfortable. it was trifle too hot at night though but we could have opened a window. the biggest issue with the room was the lighting. I needed to do my hair and make up but the lighting made it almost impossible as it was so dim. also where the mirror was there were no pickpockets so it was awkward! I only paid a speciAl rate so it's forgivable but I would be less happy at full price. they only provided enough towels for one person and it took a while before they brought anymore when I rang them. all in all I'd give the room about a eight out of ten. The food however is not great, it was a massive Xmas party hut still it wasn't great nd I'm glad I went to KCF first! thestaff were very friendly though and helpful so quite a good stay overall.

Room Tip: ask for the large room over the door
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kaytriley
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here on Friday 30th Nov 2012. We had booked well in advance in order to secure a double room. On arrival we checked in and paid for our double room. We were given key for room only to enter and find it was a twin. I returned to reception to point out that my booking confirmation was for a double garden room only to be told that their system has double/twin on it and that they were full and could not move us. I protested further and was then told but if we move you we will have to give your room to someone else.Not my problem I replied and we were moved to a different room. Although a double it was more Shaby than chic. To top it all there was no heating that night and in the morning no hot water to wash with. The twin socket on the wall did not work and I noticed an extension cable wired into the double socket, thankfully this worked and I managed to boil a kettle for tea.
We hastened down for breakfast(unwashed) where I explained the hot water issue only to be told it was being repaired,I then asked for a refund of some sought only to be told by the lady on reception that she was not authorised to do this.However she took my number and asured me the manager would call me later.I called them later and was told the manager wasn,t available but she would call.
It is now Mon 3rd Dec 2012 and despite 2 emails I am still waiting.
I do know that other guests that had not paid in advance managed to strike a deal before leaving. My advise would be pay on departure or don,t go at all

Room Tip: look at your room before staying or paying
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple