“Staincliffe...”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
Notts
“Staincliffe...”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I booked this hotel after looking at the Website. The rooms all looked very nice and when I telephoned, I was assured the room they had booked me into was lovely. I should have realised when ascending the steps upto the building (tiles laying on the floor that should have been fixed were laying on the floor and cones were blocking off another area). After checking in, I entered the dark brown painted door (not stained oak) into the room to be greeted with a brown freize repeated in design throughout the room (and bathroom). The duvet which looked that old and worn was on a double bed with no pelmet, so could see the divan (they were waiting for the laundry man to arrive) and to be honest i wouldnt have let my dog lay on the duvet. The room had a small double bed and a single bed, there were no headboards on either bed. The walls were dirty and stained i dont think it was the design of the paint, hence (Staincliffe) and the brass door handle leading to the en-suite (which was clean but dated and needed a lick of paint) was what can only be described as dirty! The cutains when closed pulled the opposite end. Like other reviews, I asked reception if I could be moved to another room and was told there was none available and that the hotel was fully booked. I decided not to eat in one of the hotels three restaurants (one of which was Fine Dining) and opted for a little Italian called Matteo's (which was lovely and reasonably priced). In my opinion Reception seemed to be a meeting place for members of staff (as did the bar) and in the evening certain staff seemed to spend more time in the bar watching the TV than doing much of anything else! Upon my arrival the cleaner was sat at reception with the receptionist, which does not portray outward professionalism to the paying customer. Could be a nice place if a little more care was taken with regard to decor, maintenance and stains!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Rachel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

After a recent visit to the Staincliffe all I can say is we were not disappointed. It was a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine for £35 per couple. Outstanding value for money and the food was to die for, the chef excelled himself.(and the rest of the team of course) the staff were polite and friendly. We might have crashed a bit of a romantic evening as it was my bday but it was a fab night table of ten all happy..the Mclachlans

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank joanne-ryan71
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

All vegetables are microwaved to death.
Yorkshire Puddings are re-heated in the oven.
Gravy is dark and salty.
The brisket we had was cooked by a novice, tough as old boots.
We have had Sunday lunch a few times and each time the vegetables are the same.
The Brisket has been tender in the past.
We wont be going back.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rara B

Travellers are raving about these Hartlepool hotels

Wales
Reviewed 6 February 2013

As my sister was getting married in the hotel we decided to stay for a long weekend and make a little holiday of it. After spending time on the phone talking to a young lady about my requirements and family group it was arranged for me to have a sea front suite for me and the husband and a family suite for the three grown up children. I payed by credit card on booking hoping this would secure my rooms. On arrival i was given the keys to my rooms only to find that we had a twin room rather than a suite. I promptly complained only to be told that that was what i had payed for and the hotel was full and they could not move us as the hotel was fully booked.Absolutely no negotiation or discussion regarding this,i asked to speak to the manager to be told he was not available and that the receptionist would speak to him when she could,talk about starting your weekend off on the wrong foot. eventually we had to settle into the rooms as it was apparrent that it was futile arguing anymore with the girl on reception,
The rooms were incredibly small with, in the twin room, only room for two single beds with a bedside cabinet for space and sufficient room to walk to the bed,in fact there was more spare space in the en suite than the bedroom. in the family room the twin room was small with walking space around the bed which was an iron type bed which sqeeked when you moved. and in the twin room,which was the smallest room i have ever seen to fit two people in there was litterally two single beds and a bedside cabinet with cabinet width space between the beds. the bathroom was again more spacious. Talking about the bathroom,there were no complimentry toiletries in either if the bathroom and you would think that the prices this hotel charges they would at least have had this little nicety. both rooms were cold with no central heating turned on but a little heater was in the room which we were able to plug in,one didn't work so we borrowed one from my sisters room.
you would expext the family room to be situated in a quiet part of the hotel as you would expect this room to be used with children it was in fact above the bar area which was noisy til about 11.30 pm and then you could hear the staff through the night talking or watching tv and then the morning staff arrive from about 7am
The room situation was never rectified over the weekend and no apology from the manager issued, the least they could have done in my opinion.
the only thing that i can say positivel was that the food in the Hotel is very nice and presented beautifully so thank goodness they have a god chef there.
In view that my sister got married there and the hotel was fully booked for the wedding party, and the money we spent in the hotel on food and drink, i don't feel the staff went the extra mile to ensure guests had a super experience.I for one will not be booking into this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone i know,the premier inn is a much better option, much cheaper and comfortable.highly dissatisfied.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms 22to 26 they are over the bar,so very noisy until late at night and you can hea...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank harmera
Durham
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here on New Years Eve after booking their party night. The staff were very friendly and accommodating even telling us where other members of our group were. The next morning we were a little late for breakfast but they still offered to make us something. Our room was beautiful and looked out over the seafront.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the seafront
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Victoria S
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Unfortunately despite reading and hearing good reports on this establishment the accommodation lacked. On a January night once checked in, we went to the room only to find that the room was extremely cold, no central heating switched on and only an electric heater left in the corner for ourselves to turn on which took a good hour or two to heat the room fully. The shower was instantly hot which was good, however the shower head was spraying in all directions! Again, no heating switched on in the bathroom.

The cleanliness of the room was overall very good.

The bar and restaurant areas are the best side of the hotel, new looking with a choice of 3 eating areas: bar food, fine dining and the grill. Plenty of seating, good atmospheres and quick turnaround on orders.

Returning back to the room and we found ourselves on top of some function in the function room (directly below our room). We might had well of been in the function. The noise was horrendous! Very bad for the rooms upstairs as you could not clearly hear the TV over the noise. Fortunately the function ended at 22:30 so was able to have some peace afterwards.

A full english breakfast was ordered in the morning (as soon as breakfast started at 7am) and arrived within 15 minutes. Great quality and service.

We checked out late due to finishing our work early and we ended up with an early checkout charge, albeit this was probably within the terms and conditions of the booking the hotel was not bothered about: 1) the amount of money in total my colleagues had spent in the hotel; 2) the give and take on customer service/experience - if they are looking to put repeat business off they are going in the right direction!

When we return to the area I shall be looking at other establishments.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 20+ to avoid being above the function room and the 'cold' half of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank James S
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

There isn't a review page for the Canoe Bar (badly named after a criminal I know) but I had to write a review because I've had some fish and chips in my time, being born and bred in Seaton Carew, and Whitby being one of my favourite places, BUT the fish and chips in the Canoe Bar are absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've ever had in my life and I'm fussy. The chips are triple cooked and to die for and the fish is chunky, fresh, succulent and the batter is spot on. There isn't much of an atmosphere in there but if you want a walk down the Front and some good food, I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Sorry this isn't about the hotel but there wasn't a page for the bar
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple