“not interested in my business ?”
Review of Staincliffe Hotel

and 1 more site!
Staincliffe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Would have loved to have spent my Birthday evening trying the food here but when I phoned with a query was told by the receptionist to phone back later as she was busy ....of course I never made the call, someone else was happy to give me their attention immediately .....

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SHB66

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Visited this hotel for lunch on the 9th March. The entrance was blocked by cones - probably as the tiles on the steps were chipped and loose. We ordered some lattes to be told the coffee machine was broken and would a cup of nescafe do instead! We sat in the canoe bar and ordered lunch. I had a burger with smoked cheese. It was inedible as the meat was actually raw when it arrived. Made do with a hugh bowl of chips instead, which were surprisingly nice. the rest of the meals, roast beef sandwich, scampi and tuna melt were good.
Won't be going back in a hurry!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Cammymammy
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Well what can I say,we booked into the hotel for the Valentine's meal and stay over WOW !.The hotels reviews weren't to be desired! However" Dont take any notice" of some of the reviews.
The meal for 3 courses,free bottle of wine £35 for 2 people also a stay over for £25pp..How could we turn this down? We checked in greeted by the most friendly staff ever, so polite and appreciative..
Our room was beautiful so clean,warm and well stocked of toiletries.The bed was the comfiest ever :) it made getting up and checking out even harder!..
We went to the bar for a few drinks to again enjoy the pleasurable company of the staff until our table booking for the restaurant was available.
We booked in for the grill..well the food was out of this world,cooked to perfection and really loads of it..a massive thank you to the chef "as was dieting at this time"and probably gained my loss again in 1 meal haha...
A totally enjoyable Valentine's weekend,thanks to all the staff in the hotel..
A big fat recommendation you have to try it yourself,booked in again for mothers day meals can't wait...thanks again to The New Staincliffe & all staff *****

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank kimbobmeadows
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I booked this hotel after looking at the Website. The rooms all looked very nice and when I telephoned, I was assured the room they had booked me into was lovely. I should have realised when ascending the steps upto the building (tiles laying on the floor that should have been fixed were laying on the floor and cones were blocking off another area). After checking in, I entered the dark brown painted door (not stained oak) into the room to be greeted with a brown freize repeated in design throughout the room (and bathroom). The duvet which looked that old and worn was on a double bed with no pelmet, so could see the divan (they were waiting for the laundry man to arrive) and to be honest i wouldnt have let my dog lay on the duvet. The room had a small double bed and a single bed, there were no headboards on either bed. The walls were dirty and stained i dont think it was the design of the paint, hence (Staincliffe) and the brass door handle leading to the en-suite (which was clean but dated and needed a lick of paint) was what can only be described as dirty! The cutains when closed pulled the opposite end. Like other reviews, I asked reception if I could be moved to another room and was told there was none available and that the hotel was fully booked. I decided not to eat in one of the hotels three restaurants (one of which was Fine Dining) and opted for a little Italian called Matteo's (which was lovely and reasonably priced). In my opinion Reception seemed to be a meeting place for members of staff (as did the bar) and in the evening certain staff seemed to spend more time in the bar watching the TV than doing much of anything else! Upon my arrival the cleaner was sat at reception with the receptionist, which does not portray outward professionalism to the paying customer. Could be a nice place if a little more care was taken with regard to decor, maintenance and stains!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed 20 February 2013

After a recent visit to the Staincliffe all I can say is we were not disappointed. It was a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine for £35 per couple. Outstanding value for money and the food was to die for, the chef excelled himself.(and the rest of the team of course) the staff were polite and friendly. We might have crashed a bit of a romantic evening as it was my bday but it was a fab night table of ten all happy..the Mclachlans

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank joanne-ryan71
Reviewed 12 February 2013

All vegetables are microwaved to death.
Yorkshire Puddings are re-heated in the oven.
Gravy is dark and salty.
The brisket we had was cooked by a novice, tough as old boots.
We have had Sunday lunch a few times and each time the vegetables are the same.
The Brisket has been tender in the past.
We wont be going back.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rara B
Reviewed 6 February 2013

As my sister was getting married in the hotel we decided to stay for a long weekend and make a little holiday of it. After spending time on the phone talking to a young lady about my requirements and family group it was arranged for me to have a sea front suite for me and the husband and a family suite for the three grown up children. I payed by credit card on booking hoping this would secure my rooms. On arrival i was given the keys to my rooms only to find that we had a twin room rather than a suite. I promptly complained only to be told that that was what i had payed for and the hotel was full and they could not move us as the hotel was fully booked.Absolutely no negotiation or discussion regarding this,i asked to speak to the manager to be told he was not available and that the receptionist would speak to him when she could,talk about starting your weekend off on the wrong foot. eventually we had to settle into the rooms as it was apparrent that it was futile arguing anymore with the girl on reception,
The rooms were incredibly small with, in the twin room, only room for two single beds with a bedside cabinet for space and sufficient room to walk to the bed,in fact there was more spare space in the en suite than the bedroom. in the family room the twin room was small with walking space around the bed which was an iron type bed which sqeeked when you moved. and in the twin room,which was the smallest room i have ever seen to fit two people in there was litterally two single beds and a bedside cabinet with cabinet width space between the beds. the bathroom was again more spacious. Talking about the bathroom,there were no complimentry toiletries in either if the bathroom and you would think that the prices this hotel charges they would at least have had this little nicety. both rooms were cold with no central heating turned on but a little heater was in the room which we were able to plug in,one didn't work so we borrowed one from my sisters room.
you would expext the family room to be situated in a quiet part of the hotel as you would expect this room to be used with children it was in fact above the bar area which was noisy til about 11.30 pm and then you could hear the staff through the night talking or watching tv and then the morning staff arrive from about 7am
The room situation was never rectified over the weekend and no apology from the manager issued, the least they could have done in my opinion.
the only thing that i can say positivel was that the food in the Hotel is very nice and presented beautifully so thank goodness they have a god chef there.
In view that my sister got married there and the hotel was fully booked for the wedding party, and the money we spent in the hotel on food and drink, i don't feel the staff went the extra mile to ensure guests had a super experience.I for one will not be booking into this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone i know,the premier inn is a much better option, much cheaper and comfortable.highly dissatisfied.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms 22to 26 they are over the bar,so very noisy until late at night and you can hea...