“Sense of humour required”
Review of Staincliffe Hotel

and 1 more site!
Staincliffe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Arriving at 10.30 in the evening we were (eventually) greeted by a startled looking receptionist ‘oh, I wasn’t expecting you’. We had booked, and anyway what on earth would two people damp from the rain and laden with luggage be doing in the reception of a hotel if not looking to check in? Certainly, that possibility had not occurred to her as she observed us through the glass door from the Canoe Bar.

According to the receptionist, the 'internet is all around, but especially strong in the bar'. Bless her - I think she's confused with the ghost of a former owner. If you want the web, its very much a 3G affair here.

Room 31, after depositing bags and checking the bed for springiness (very), the shower for dribbliness (at best a trickle) and the curtains for closeability (they met in the middle, but unfortunately only if you were prepared to accept a gap at each edge) I settled down for the night, listening for, but hoping not to hear the ghost of Basil pacing the corridors. I prayed that the damp on the wall would not lead to any lasting health damage.

I need not have worried, Basil (in female form) serves the breakfast. One guest asked for a poached egg, and was told that he had ordered ‘a full English’ and ‘chef has already started it’ so a change at this late stage in the (no doubt precision) cooking phase was out of the question. With the main dining area full, another hapless guest took a seat in a part of the dining room reserved for who knows what, only to be ordered to move – ‘but where?’ he pleaded. Basil gave in, but just long enough for him to be seated with his Frosties before another table became vacant. Basil, seeing her chance snatched the bowl from under his nose and plonked it on the now vacant table ‘you can’t sit there, no butter you see’ was offered no doubt part in explanation and part apology.

If you do choose the ’Stainview’ (as we came to call it) then a sense of humour is something you should definitely pack, but for our trusty receptionist one thing is true ‘its a good breakfast’ she soothed – and it was.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Longwayabout

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Went in July for afternoon tea.Setting is great, right on sea front, if you go ask for a table in the window overlooking the lawn then onto the sea. Afternoon tea was great value, good selection of sandwiches scones etc. Cannot fault the place, they seem to be really trying.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife and myself had a great day at our wedding at the Staincliffe Hotel, Seaton Carew, Hartlepool this August 2013. The staff could not be more helpful even though they were stretched by hosting two weddings at the same time. The food was great and the atmosphere was fantastic.
We cannot thank the staff and management of the Staincliffe Hotel enough and we wholly recommend anyone who is thinking of using the hotel for their wedding. The Baron room looked brilliant for the civil wedding, The Function Room served well for our 80+ guests and there was plenty of room with the large garden at the back and the decking at the front of the hotel. Several of our guests had mobility issues which the hotel arranged modifications to the doors and steps to help our guests move about freely.

The prices for the rooms, the food and the services were very reasonable and we managed to save money by swapping a sit down meal to a high tea that was a great success,

Take our advice and try the Staincliffe Hotel's restaurants first and you will see that it is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

First of all after reading the other reviews I thought I ought to be Fair and give My honest opinion about this hotel.we booked one night stay here in June due to our friends wedding, from start to finish it was an absolutely fantastic day, I have never seen in any other hotel staff that are so hard working but also happy and polite which is a bonus. The food at the wedding was served very hot which is brilliant and you were not sat forever waiting to be served, everyone at this hotel was hardworking and made our stay most pleasant, the rooms were immaculate and the breakfast on the morning again was full English and to very high standards, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my friends and family and look forward to our next stay here in the future.it was a very clean friendly and pleasant hotel and had fantastic views over looking the sea.
Pls note I didn't see fitness centre or pool so pls ignore my rating for these two options

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank palm75
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Visited when driving through Seaton to Hartlepool and stopped off on 3/4 times. It was pleasant to drink and sit over looking the sea. We ate once and the food was surprisingly good. We had a typical pub meal - steak and chips and Gammon and chips - perfectly fine and value for money. The only downside to the Staincliffe is the service - although there seems to be plenty of staff running round, the bar was often unattended or one bar person serving meaning we had to wait for unacceptable periods for service. I would go back to stay, have a meal or even just a drink as it was a nice environment.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DBBDevon
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding, the place was very nice, our room, however was very small, the bed was boxed in to the side and bottom so i had to climb over my partner to get in and out of bed, ok for 2 nights but would be very annoying for more, i did laugh when i sat down at the dressing table to do my hair and all i could see in the mirror was the very top of my head and i'm 5ft8!!!
We ate in the bar and would recommend it, breakfast was nice too, proper sausages!
We had a good time

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank sarahjpea
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We went to the Darwin restaurent on Saturday 11 th of may, myself and 10 of my family members, we arrived a little early but this wasn't a problem, we were shown to our table and were quickly served with drinks. We were asked to pre order which was a bit of a pain as my family live in different parts of England so I had to send them the menu, but I can understand why. Every member of our party all enjoyed our meals, we had 8 starters 11 mains and 7 desserts and all were beautiful, the only criticism albeit a minor one, was made by my daughter ( who has worked in the pub and restaurent field for over 11 years was the Darwin is advertised as fine dining and when we were given mustard, mayonnaise etc, we were given sachets, not very fine dining, they should be served in nice little ramakins, But overall we had very good meals for 11 people who were all very satisfied for under £170, however the drinks bill wasn't so value for money but maybe that was asking for to much!. Well done to the hardworking staff and thank you for a nice evening.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family