“Easily my worst hotel experience”
Review of Staincliffe Hotel

Staincliffe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This was my first and will be my last stay in this hotel. My colleagues had stayed there previously and advised me not to stay in room 18, which is a room situated in the loft of the hotel. They didn't like it because of the strange Goth-like decor, which led one in particular to believe it was haunted. So none of them will stay in this room again, but when I checked in the receptionist dismissed my protests at being given the room. It must be like an induction for new clients!

I am not superstitous so I took the room. The decor is strange. The carpet is dark red, the wallpaper is dark red, and the wallpaper also covers the ceiling. The dressing table and drawers and shelves are red. There is a bust statue on the shelf over the top of the bed, and a picture of an angel hanging on the wall behind the TV (hard to avoid looking at it).

Despite all that, this alone would not stop me staying in this room on an irregular basis. However, probably because the room is in the loft, the heating doesn't work very well so there is a plug in heater. For safety reasons you can't leave this plugged in unattended, so it was freezing by the time I finished dinner and was going to bed.

The room is not ensuite, so you have to leave your room and enter a separate room off the corridor to get to your bathroom. This is not ideal, even if the corridor is in the loft section where no other visitors should be passing. This is a large room which is also freezing cold, and heated only by the heated towel rail on the wall.

And the worst thing of all, there is no shower. There is a hand held shower mixer with very little water pressure. The water temperature goes from very nearly ok to piping hot, and if you try to add cold water the shower usually returns completely to cold water. The handle of the mixer tap has a small plastic handle and there's every chance you'll touch the piping hot part of the metal handle. There's also no shower curtain so if you are not careful you could be stepping out onto a wet and slippy floor.

I didn't share this information with the receptionist when leaving because of her dimissive attitude when I checked on, and she also gave a strong impression that she wasn't interested in any dialogue when I checked out. The sum of her conversation was "Which room number" and "that's all sorted".

On the plus side, the waiting staff in the restaurants and at breakfast were more professional, and the food was good.

But I won't be back.

Room Tip: Do not accept Room 18 if you do decide to stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Eoin_M73

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for new years had a three day break. Had a great room overlooking the sea and a big bay window. Staff very friendly and helpful at all times....even early on news years day!!
Great food cannot fault it. Thank you the Staincliffe we will definatley be back. Great value for money.

Room Tip: Get A suite on the front of the building
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2013

…comes to something when the nachos look more appetising than the so called Xmas feast…facility is totally underinvested, chipped paint, horrible carpets, and the place smells like a bad old folks home. Food disgusting showers and rooms dreadful, and front office staff ignorant to borderline rude….the Watery Fowls. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank DAVID H
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I rang this hotel on the 19th November to enquire about their lunchtime menu as I wanted to take my Mam for lunch to celebrate her birthday. I had visited in the summer and had had a beautiful fresh crab salad and I wanted to know if it was still available on the menu. Unfortunately crab wasn't on the menu but to my surprise I was told the chef would order this in for us.
We have just returned and I must say lunch was beautiful the staff were excellent and although we did not see the chef I asked them to pass my compliments and thanks to him.
We will certainly be calling for lunch again A big thank you to all

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

we had this hotel as a venue for our daughters wedding reception and I must say that the service from all of the staff was excellent and the food was excellent too. Everyone of our guests commented that they had had a lovely day and enjoyed the food too. Both of my daughters had a room for the night and they were both pleased with them. If I had to find fault with anything my only niggle was that disabled people had problems accessing toilet facilities.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chrishartlepool
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Over the last four of five years I have stayed at the Staincliffe for weeks on end the staff are always helpful and friendly The rooms are a little tired but clean and the beds are comfortable
The breakfast is always good, The bar food is excellent the restaurant very good but the grill room is the best American style diner I have visited in the UK, value for money and well cooked steaks at very good prices
I have stayed in the gothic room (turret room) there is a story attached the that room but its not my place to elaborate :)
Always my first choice when visiting Hartlipool

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bobbyb82
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed one night in the Turret room at the Staincliffe Hotel and made the following observations:

Good:
Quirky - it certainly has character!
Staff - very friendly and helpful.
Food - very good 'full English Breakfast'
Interiors in the public areas - the main hall and restaurant are nicely decorated in a contemporary style
Car parking - free and easy to park right outside
Location - sea view

Not so good:
Unfortunately it soon because obvious that the photos of the bedroom on the website were somewhat misleading. The room was described as a 'Suite with Veranda' and the sign outside the hotel states they have 'executive rooms and suites'. I'm afraid the Turret room just simply is not a suite and if that is what they call a veranda...?? Rusty railings, paint peeling off and a couple of sad looking pot plants....

The decor was bright red - on closer inspection, this was not any kind of designer/boutique furniture, but instead, it appeared as if they have taken some cheap pine furniture and painted it black and red, and then created a wall backdrop to the bed out of MDF...again, painted red. The wallpaper was peeling off, there was a dent in the wall behind the door, the bath had a hole in it which had been filled in....badly...the windows didn't look like they had ever been cleaned. etc etc I'm afraid the whole room just made me think of an episode of 'Changing Rooms' with Laurence Llewelyn Bowen..... I can see what they have tried to do with the room but unfortunately it just looked really tacky and cheap.

The website says the room has a kingsize bed, but I highly doubt that is a kingsize bed. It felt like we were sleeping on a bouncy castle, the mattress was so soft and it was more like a standard double size.

I'm not sure why on earth this is described as a suite? Don't you need a living room area as well as a bedroom to qualify as a suite?

Obviously I can't speak for the other rooms, which may have been more recently refurbished but if anyone is planning to book a room there, I would give the 'Suite with Veranda' a miss :-(

Unfortunately I think we would have had a better room if we had stayed in a travel lodge at a much cheaper rate.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple