“Great food, not so great rooms”

Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
England
“Great food, not so great rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

We stayed here a couple of months ago. People I work with have stayed here on numerous occasions, and rate the food highly. The hotel itself is old and looks like its falling apart (although im sure its not). The room was what you'd expect from an old building (victorian i think) - not very nice. There was a horrible smell in the room.

Good points:
Service - friendly, pleasant and welcoming staff.
Resteraunt - amazing food (try the curried prawns).
The entrance - victorian elegance
Grounds - well, the front anyway. theres a garage at the back.

Bad points:
Room - smell was terrible, bathroom wasnt very nice.
Building - old and rickety.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
MANCHESTER
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

Was booked by a collegue as we wanted to be close to Peterlee. Beautiful old building in the open countryside. nice & quiet - slept very well. Our rooms were traditional Manor house style, warm and comfortable with all the bits & pieces. There were 6 of us for dinner which we had in the bistro. The food was excellent ! (the wine wasn't bad either)
we will be back !!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Hartlepool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

What a wonderful stay I had at the Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel. I was at the hotel for a Murder Mystery evening with my boyfriend (we are both 23 years old) and we decided, as a treat, to spend a little extra each (very little actually!) and stay the night after the Murder Mystery had finished. The Murder Mystery itself was an absolute triumph - we loved every second and were utterly captivated by the Murder Squad who put on an excellent show. The food was of an unbelievable standard - the best in the area. We live locally and it is the best we have had at any hotel. We had a luxurious 5 course meal and were served by friendly, attentive and smiling staff. The manager and his team were fantastic. Our room was quaint and impeccably clean, well furnished and with an excellent shower. The bed was comfortable and the traditional decor added to the wonderful country-feel of the hotel. Breakfast was filling and plentiful, again served by excellent staff. The hotel is a magnificent, quaint and beautiful building with tremendous history - boasting an original 'Priest Hole' from the 16th Century I believe! The grounds are lovely and I would undoubtedly recommend the hotel to young and old. It is very reasonably priced and I guarantee you will enjoy every second!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — I wish I could have stayed longer!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MurderMysteryFan
Southport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

My booking was done through our business agent, and I actually thought that I was staying at the another Hardwick Hall (no E at the end of the name) fairly close by! As I was working at Peterlee the error was fortunate as this one is closer.

This hotel is not part of a chain and the atmosphere is much more like that in hotels years ago. It isn't as slick and the service is more personal somehow. The building is beautiful and most of the public areas are oak pannelled. There were fires burning in the grates, some real and some gas.

I can appreciate the views of other contributers in that the room I stayed in was not what I would have expected in a chain hotel, being a little tired, but it did not put me off at all. The bed was comfortable, everything was clean, and I like traditional bedding. I had a lovely view out of the leaded window over the sorrounding area. I was a little annoyed to find on my second night that the chamber maid had re-tuned the bedside radio, but at least there was a radio to re-tune.

The food was very good and the staff were all very pleasant and helpful.

All in all it was a very nice, different experience and I will return next time I am working in the area.

• Liked — Olde worlde charm, good food
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
East Midlands, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2008

We stayed here for a few nights during June 2008 for a friend's wedding. Approaching the outside of the hotel whilst driving up it looks a magnificent building, however once inside we were slightly disappointed with the general maintenance of the building.

It's a old manor house converted to use as a hotel, and as such is a meandering building which has obviously been extended over the years. It has plenty of character, but the general level of maintenance was poor - threadbare carpets on the stairs, etc

When we got the room the quality of décor and furnishing was very poor. It looked like it hadn't been decorated in a long time, wallpaper which had peeled had been stuck down and the paste was visible as a glossy stain on the wallpaper. The furniture looked very cheap & out of date - our room had an armchair which looked like it had been liberated from a house clearance - really not acceptable given the price of the room. The carpets were also very old fashioned. The bathroom was reasonably clean, but small. The bed was a normal double bed, rather than a king size - but the room was more than large enough to accommodate a larger bed. Also, the bed was dressed with sheets and blankets, rather than a quilt - again this seems most out of date.

Rather bizarrely, it's also the only hotel I've stayed in which had a car sales lot in the back yard of the hotel...

On the plus side, the staff were helpful and welcoming, and the food was excellent. A full cooked breakfast was served, the only slight problem was the staff's difficulty in maintaining a reasonable supply of coffee and toast - but additional supplies were rapidly fetched on request.

• Liked — Good food, welcoming staff
  • Disliked — Very poor standard of decor and furnishings in the bedrooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank PhantomHelm
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one night in April, when attending a wedding. We had previously been there for family meals on several occasions and were looking forward to our stay.

On phoning to book a room, we were not told of check-in times, and were told that we would not receive any confirmation of booking. Two weeks before the wedding we found out that we could not get into our room until 2pm, despite the wedding being at 2.30. A family member phoned to ask whether, as we were travelling a distance, we could arrange an earlier check-in to allow us to shower and change. We were assured we could have a room by 1pm.

On arrival, however, the rooms were not ready. When we finally got into our top-floor room, it was very fusty-smelling. The bathroom had a full-length glass door and, being right next to, and facing, the bed, offered no privacy when using the toilet. Hairgrips were found on the floor, presumably from the previous occupants.

Breakfast was average, but each guest was only brought one slice of toast, which looked rather lost in the full-size toast rack.

We paid our bill to find we had been charged for a superior room. Our room could not be regarded as superior, although when we later questioned this it seems the hotel regard a standard room as having only a shower whilst superior rooms have a bath and shower. As ours had both, then, it was classed as superior!

The rooms do vary in size, and some on the floor below were much bigger and appeared to have a much better standard of furnishings. The hotel is old (600 years, I believe) and therefore it cannot be expected that all rooms are the same. However, the hotel seems to have a strange criteria for describing and pricing these.

The wedding itself went well and the hotel grounds were lovely for photographs. The waiters, however, seemed a bit "sloppy" and unprofessional with wine being spilled on several occasions.

We would not use this hotel again for accommodation, especially as there are several good bed and breakfasts with a ten minute drive.

• Liked — the exterior and gardens
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Strolling_Goldfish
Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2007

Stayed for a full week on business when working in Hartlepool - In fairness there is a bit of a dearth of decent hotels in Hartlepool, and this one was around 6 miles North.

Looked lovely from the outside, bar and restaurant nice enough, and the food was excellent (every night).

But.... The room was dreadful (a taste free experience I would say), the TV didnt work properly, and despite reporting it twice, nothing was done, there was no hot water in the mornings sometimes, and when i mentioned it they said "that's cos everyone uses it"....., and on the 4 mornings I was there, I got my newspaper once - twice they said at 730am they had sold out of the telegraph (doubt that!) and on the other day they said it was too foggy to go and get one!!!!

I would go back for a meal without any hesitation, but I wouldn't stay the night.

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — The Hotel Service
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BoroJohno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartlepool
Hardwick Hall Hotel, BW Premier Collection
BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel
BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel
#4 of 9 in Hartlepool
Premier Inn Hartlepool Marina Hotel

Been to Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!