“One of the Best Restaurant's in Hartlepool”
Review of Portofino

Portofino
Ranked #3 of 224 Restaurants in Hartlepool
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Portofino is a bistro-pizzeria on the Historic Quay. It overlooks Hartlepool's most famous attraction, HMS Trincomalee. Surrounded by free car parks, it is the ideal venue for lazy lunchtimes, fast teatime treats and party nights.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was my second experience at the Portfino restaurant. I throughly enjoyed the meal, which was cooked very well. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The views from the window were an added bonus. I did, however, find the temperature of the restaurant a little on the warm side. Overall very good and would highly recommend if you are looking to eat out in the Hartlepool area.

Krimos, Owner at Portofino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Holt-15,
Thank you very much for a lovely review.
As for the temperature, our Summer has so far been so erratic that our air conditioning has trouble keeping up with the ups-and-downs.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We often go to this restaurant but have noticed they do ask if everything was ok with the meal yet never do anything about it on the odd occasion when things aren't right.
Our last trip was lunchtime today we arrived and went to get a drink from the bar, that's when a bottle of orange juice was knocked over by the person serving at the bar. It went all over my wife and soaked her coat she was holding. We were not offered another bottle of orange to replace the one that had been spilt over my wife but just given the part empty bottle.
One of the best things about this place is normally the food, most of this was fine today but the chips were awful they had been cooked ages before we got them hours possibly days before. Chips have always been fresh home cooked and very nice here. Again we did mention about the chips although it was after the meal but still nothing.
Now the wife's coat needs to be cleaned.
Yes some people will say maybe we should have asked for the coat to be cleaned or demanded fresh chips but I don't like causing a fuss but do feel we will not be coming back here for a while.
Anyway why ask if everything was ok if they don't do anything about it.

Krimos, Owner at Portofino, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your review.
I am really sorry that on this occasion we failed to deliver our usually high standard of food and service.
I am honestly ashamed at this comedy of errors you were subjected to and I do not find words to explain the way things went down from the minute you walked into Portofino.
All I can say is that, having used our restaurant in the past, you will understand that this is far from being the norm of our food quality and level of service.
As for your wife's coat, if she has had it cleaned, please let me have the receipt and I shall gladly reimburse the expense.
My genuine apologies.
Krimo

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We eat here at least once a week. There are 6 of us usually 4 adults, 2 children. The staff are always welcoming, friendly and attentive. The children are more than welcome and are chatted to and humoured! Food is lovely on the whole. Just a niggle about the pizzas which can be dry and would benefit from lots more sauce on the base. This is our only niggle as the rest of the food is always tasty, hot and well prepared. Service is excellent. We will continue visit portafinos when I am too lazy to cook - therefore regularly! Thank you to all the staff and Krimo x

Krimos, Owner at Portofino, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Sunnydays,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
Your point about putting more sauce on the pizzas will definitely be taken on board.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
PS: I personally don't mind cooking. It's the washing up that I detest. :)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went here for a bite to eat before going to see War Horse in Sunderland we didn't book a table but the staff were more than welcoming of our party of 5 the food was lovely and large portions too the children had a pizza from the kids menu which was large but they managed to eat it all and the starters were large too I ordered potato skins which were big enough to feed 2 will defo go here again the near future.

Krimos, Owner at Portofino, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Northernflower,
Thank you very much for an excellent review.
I am delighted that you and the kids enjoyed your visit to Portofino.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Went for lunch with hubby, we had 2 courses, I had potato skins, hubby had chicken goujons both huge portions, main I had pasta arrabbiata with chicken, this was nice and there was plenty there, hubby had steak with veg and sauce, the portions again were huge, we both left some as bread was brought out to nibble on whilst we waited for our food, we ate most of it so filled up on that, silly really as it was lunch time we just made pigs of ourselves. Staff where professional, been here a loads of time now and we have never been disappointed with our meals, we will defo be back, can't fault any of krimos restaurants really, he knows what he is doing at the end of the day! Keep up the good work!

Krimos, Owner at Portofino, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hi, Lolwal
Thank you very much for your review. I am really happy that you enjoyed your meal at Portofino.
Krimo