“Amazing!”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
England
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 4 February 2010

We have been visiting the Penhelig Arms for many years now and have had many a memorable meal in both the bar and restaurant.

The bar is a small, relaxed and cosy area that serves lunch both indoor and out. It has a lovely fire on when it is cold and has a great atmopshere with the staff and customers.

They serve nice sandwiches outside but not plated meals that require knifes and forks etc, due to licencing regulations.

Evening meals require reservations unless you are ok to go early. It is a popular eating spot and gets booked way in advance, so don't be dissapointed and call at least a few weeks before in the busy seasons.

In the bar - The lamb shank is a personal favourite of mine, I doubt anyone could be disappointed with this meal! They are renowned for their fish dishes and even the 'Fish and Chips' is a winner.

Hope you enjoy as much as we do!

“Could do better”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Disappointing – a £29 set menu in the restaurant with a promising choice. The same menu is available in the bar but you can order separate courses. I had mushroom soup which was thick and gloopy but with a pretty good taste and my husband’s chilli scallops were a mixture of overcooked, undercooked and well cooked – how do you manage that? The main courses we had were a very anaemic chicken breast on a bed of tasty if overcooked herb risotto and a spicy hake stew which was well over spiced. We followed this with a lemon tart which was bought in with that commercial soggy brown pastry that you find in supermarkets. The lemon filling was reminiscent of cheap lemon curd with a caramelised topping.
The cheese board was a much better option, well laid out with a good choice of Welsh cheeses. However when we enquired what the cheeses were the waiter had no idea and tried ‘Cheese’, ‘Welsh Cheese’, ‘Cheeses from Wales’ none of which was very helpful. We asked him to find out and eventually a lady appeared with a piece of paper with seven names and tried to guess (incorrectly) which ones were on the plate. Our coffee arrived at 9pm and at the same time, the staff proceeded to lay the tables for breakfast around us. So nice to feel wanted.
If you are looking for a fine dining experience this is not the place to go, if you are looking just to be fed then it was passable, but overpriced for the standard and quite a few menu items were extra.

UK
“Good food but too expensive, better service would improve things”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We had the £29 three-course meal. The food was good - the rack of lamb very tasty. But unfortunately the service was disappointing, no smiles anywhere...

UK
“Don't waste your money - the guidebooks are out of date.”
Reviewed 24 March 2008

I began planning my Easter break in September last year and was really looking forward to a meal here. The reviews from various guidebooks were really whetting my appitite.

What a complete let down! The meal at the Penhelig Arms was one of the worst I have ever had. I was so disapointed.

The menu did not have any seafood or fish specials - which one would expect from a restaurant on the seafront!

Our starters were liberally sprinkled with cayenne pepper/paprika, which somewhat overpowered the palatte.

I ordered vegetarian 'wild mushroom lasagne' which came served with undercooked oven chips. Oven chips? This is a restaurant, not a transport caff or a canteen!! The lasagne topping was molten and not crispy. The tomato sauce was sharp and undercooked, the bechemel needed more cooking to take away the floury taste and I managed to find two small slices of button mushrooms in the entire sloppy lasagne.

My partter ordered rack of lamb, which according to the menu was 'served rare', but was actually presented to him cremated and overcooked. The boy at the next table was also served his lamb burnt, so it wasn't a one-off. How difficult can it be to correctly time the cooking of the main courses when all of the starters and desserts are cold?

Desserts were most peculiar. They appeared to be very similar to generic supermarket frozen puddings. Both desserts were far too sweet and the portion size not standard. I seemed to have been served a huge double slice of banoffi pie whilst my partner had a minute sliver of lemon tart.

Our wine was not decanted and so the final glass was full of sediment. This is a restaurant basic to get right, but I hardly think that the teenage waitresses employed here would be interested in which wines go with which courses!!

I would have liked to have cheese and biscuits but feared that the cheese selection was not up to much as every choice of cheese had an additional ingredient in it. If a cheese needs to have garlic, cranberries, apricots or horseradish added to it, then in my view it cannot hold its own and should be avoided, with the exception of Christmas comedy cheeses.

The entire meal took 45 minutes, then there was a further 45 minutes beween asking for the bill and managing to pay for it, as the waitresses concentrated on serving new customers and were unobservant to existing customers' needs.

The waitress brought a credit card machine to the table, then took the card away for a few minutes!! They almost lost our coats. A total farce.

The Penhelig Arms is clinging to the previous owners reputation. It does not deserve to be considered in the same league as reviews pre-2008.

We felt cheated that the hotel website is still displaying accolades won by the previous owners as it gives the wrong impression to current vistitors. Don't waste your money.

The bill came to just over £100. The following day, we had lunch at an up-and-coming restaurant at nearby Ynyshir Hall, who has a rising star chef. The bill there again came to just over £100, but the two experiences could not be more different.