“Don't buy gift vouchers!!!”

Coastriders Kitesurfing
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Aberdovey
More attraction details
Owner description: Life’s all about having fun and learning as you go. Thats why as well as our regular kite courses we offer learn to kite holidays right here in Wales. Learn to kite, try kitebuggy, land kiteboarding and stand up paddleboarding while you chill out with great company over a few drinks and a BBQ.There’s lots of options to choose from. Have a go at the exhilarating sport of kitesurf, Kite Buggy, Landboarding or Powerkiting with Coastriders kitesurfing in West Wales. We’re open all year and run courses 7 days a week.Coastriders is based in Aberdovey which is just north of Aberystwyth. We generally use the beach just north of Aberdyfi, but as we are a mobile school we use both the Aberdovey and Borth beaches, whichever gives us the mos suitable wind conditions on the day. This enables us to use coastline that has miles of never ending flat beach for landboarding and buggying as well as the safe shallow lagoons for you to learn to kitesurf in.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't buy gift vouchers!!!”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was appalled at the poor level of customer service shown by Coastriders. After receiving 2 days tuition for a 21st birthday present I tried on numerous occasions to book on to redeem the vouchers only to be to given a range of excuses as to why they weren't able to teach at that time. "Open 7 days a week all year round" as it states on the website is a completely lie. From about mid October to February I was told I couldn't book any tuition as they don't teach during these months. Furthermore when i then tried to redeem the vouches during the 'kitesurfing season' I was told my voucher had expired and was now void meaning I lost about £180.

Given this level of service I would not recommend Coastriders to any one if this is how they treat their customers.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Angus H
LisaKitesurf, Owner at Coastriders Kitesurfing, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Angus H first contacted us in 2011! to arrange a kitesurf lesson, during this period he never actually got around to booking anything, subsequently his Father bought him a voucher in Jan 2012. Angus was immediately emailed and asked for some advance dates for his lesson, to which we got no reply.

A few more emails passed backwards and forwards but no actual dates were booked. Angus was never cancelled due to bad weather or excuses as he states in his review as no dates were ever booked by him.
Angus actually emailed us in August to ask when our season would be finishing for the year and was duly informed that it would probably be early November but had in fact been October the year before due to weather conditions. Armed with this information Angus again failed to make any attempt to book with us. No further attempt was made to book until last minute well into an extremely cold November which I can only guess most people would already know that water sports would be unsafe to pursue.

I object to the fact that Angus feels that our statement of being open all year round is a lie, as I have already stated in the same issue that his Father has left a review about “ As stated we are open all year and are not only a kitesurf school we also teach land kite activities, run holidays abroad and have equipment sales, obviously November to March generally is extremely cold and unsafe to run lessons in the water in the UK. To be fair it would beggar belief to me that anyone would actually consider wanting to get in the water during this period”

Our level of service is incredibly high as can be seen on previously reviews and it is unfortunate that Angus and his Father felt it necessary to both leave negative reviews about us, when in fact it was Angus failure to book a date within the advised timeframe that resulted in the expiry of his voucher.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The highlight of our weekend”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We booked this up as part of a boys reunion and had a great time. Being a bunch of middle agers with only a day to spare we went for the kite buggying and this turned out to be a good call since we all pretty much got up and running quickly enough to enjoy ourselves and even managed a race at the end of it all.

Buggying itself is a lot of fun and very easy to pick up, it's a lot less chilly in April than being in the water and not as hard work as I'd imagined. Having said that there is real power in the kites and if you want to go mad then this is definitely an option - I will always cherish the memory of Stu being dragged along the beach on his front. I think the message is that you can be as ambitious or cautious as you want.

Leisa was a fantastic instructor with the added advantage of being a really nice lady who was clearly dedicated to giving us a good time. She definitely brought the best out of us without it feeling like we were being worked over by an army sear gent. She had a way of helping us get there one step at a time with simple instructions on what we needed to do next and a quiet word on where we were going wrong afterwards.

all in all I would recommend this to anyone and will be returning with my wife later in the year.

Visited April 2013
Glad you enjoyed it, and I'm a nice lady, that makes me sound like a middle ager too :-) Having some fab weather so get down here and enjoy the sea its like a bath now.
Welford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't hesitate - you've got to try this!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I thought I was too old to try kitesurfing - how wrong I was! The tuition, the location and the experience had me smiling for days and just wanting more. I highly recommend Coastriders, Lisa and Liesa are enthusiastic, patient and technically great instructors. The location is just perfect for both beginners and advanced riders - shallow lagoons as the tide rises and falls, and suitable for most wind directions. I was so taken by the sport they helped me select my own gear - and I cannot wait to get back on the water - I will be back very soon!! Andy

Visited November 2012
West Midlands
“L&L Kitesurfing”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I was really enjoying my kiting with L&L. They have fantastic couching skills and are enthusiastic towards getting you to reach your potential. I learnt new techniques in a very calm and relax way !!
Thanks a lot girls! I would highly recommend your couching without reservation.
A.

Visited June 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Kitesurfing at Aberdovey with Coastriders”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Been kitesurfing with the girls a couple of times now and loved it every time. Location is great for begineers - unfortunatley cannot comment on what its like for experts but hope i will be able to after my next set of lessons!

Lisa & Liesa are both great teachers and are extremely patient which was exactly what was needed for me! highly recommended

Visited August 2012