“love to return”
Review of Trefeddian Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberdovey
Trefeddian Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Aberdovey
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Fantastic location, great food, lovely rooms, superb facilities, best care and service anywhere. What more do you need? Love it!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 November 2011

We've stayed a few times now with our young family and we always have a great time.

Yes, it is a bit old fashioned in places but don't let that put you off. If you want to be looked after by real professionals providing consistently good service and truly excellent food, this might suit you.

Some reviews suggest that the clientele is all 50+. That isn't the case at all, there are lots of young families too, and there is plenty for younger children to do in the hotel.

Some rooms are bigger (and better) than others, so worth double-checking the configuration when you book especially if you have 3 children like us.

Taking a jacket for dinner used to be a bit of a pain but the rule seems to have been relaxed a bit, although everyone does still dress up anyway.

We'll be back next year for sure.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Excellent room - great food - relaxing lounges with one for adults.
Swimming pool good as is Games Room.

Staff attentive and cheerful.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I was looking forward to my short break away in Aberdovey and only knew one of the party of ten walkers from all over Britain who were staying at this wonderful hotel. Any anxiety was dispelled as soon as I came up the drive and saw the location-sweeping views from beautifully kept gardens over the dunes, golf course and rolling sea. The reception staff were just so delightfully sincerely welcoming. The decor is unpretentiously classy and my room was spacious and perfect in every way. As I was late in arriving I went into lovely dining room and was again struck by the warmth and sincerity of the staff who obviously love their work here-I havent even started on the quality of the food. An imaginative and tempting menu lived up to its descriptions by superbly cooked and presented dishes. And served by genuinely attentive efficient delightful staff.who made me feel so special. I enjoyed every mouthwatering course. There are some very special chefs in the kitchen.
The swimming pool was a few steps only away from the main gracious building and again scrupulously clean and delightful.
There was so much to explore-the Talyllyn miniature Railway, woodland waterfall walks, sweeping beach that I didnt get any further. I cant wait for a return visit to this heavenly place with outstanding staff-to experience more! With a gentle nudge towards old fashioned high standards I noticed all the guests -from small children to seniors seemed as relaxed and comfortably cared for as I was!
This is a gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: I loved my room overlooking the hill on the first floor-but have a feeling from my friends' comm...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank 187GM1
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We visited the Trefeddian in August '11, a family of 6 including a teenager, 2 senior citizens and a child. This hotel is located in a fabulous location just outside the charming fishing town of Aberdovey. It is situated on a hill, and over looks the golf course, sand dunes, and sea. The service at the Trefeddian is generally fantastic, with the exception of one grumpy man on reception. This hotel most certainly caters for the older generation and is quite old fashioned, however we found this to be quite pleasant as the older people are quite and kind, as opposed to the benefits cheats you usually are surrounded by on trips to Spain, Turkey, and Corfu. The pool area is an ok size however most definitly needs updating, and the games room as well, as this means that younger people have more to do. The dining was equisite, 5 courses included although I personally never managed it!! Lots of opportunities for golfing, walking/hiking, sailing and other watersports, however the water in Aberdovey is not safe to swim in as is near the sewage pipe by the estuary. Plenty of things to do, but not the place if you like to just sit on the beach in the sun...Everything is clean and the maids are very good.

Room Tip: Book early and get the 3rd/4th floor rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lionfish87
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I first visited this hotel when I was pre school age - I remember the days when the games room was a Badminton court with a rocking horse and piano in the corner!
We return every year with a family group ranging over 3 generations and use the two multistorey terraced houses at the end of the drive aswell as some of the hotel rooms. We make full use of the hotel facilities including beautifully cooked 'runny egg' breakfasts, five course meal in the evening with as many choices from the puddings menu on the plate as we want! The pool, table tennis, tennis court and putting green are also visited frequently but the family members.
I think what makes this hotel soooo special is the staff - the same faces year after year and so attentive with just the right amount of formality. Our two waitresses Jo and June welcome us like old friends and seem generally sorry to see us leave.
I hope to continue visiting for many more years to come.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tremendoustrish
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I just read the previous review for August 2011 .We must have been there at the same time and could not disagree more .We had a seaview room which though not large was big enough to comfortably accomodate a seating area in front of the window.I would favourably compare the Trefeddian to family run hotels that we have stayed in France and Italy .The furnishings in the room are most certainly not MFI and the bed was the most comfortable that we have slept in anywhere. As for noise we were on the third floor and never heard a thing either above , below or next door . The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean with e decent shower albeit in the bath. The hotel was full with an age range from young couples with small children through middle aged couples like us to some pensioners .It was not full of old people.
The food is excellent with imaginative dishes and plenty of choice whether you prefer fish meat or veggy..The entire dinner menu changes every day and the quality and choice is maintained whether you eat early or late. The service in the dining room is very efficient and my only slight criticism is that it is maybe a little too brisk .I would prefer a slightly more liesurely service with a bit more gap between the 5 courses . I guess if i had asked for this the staff would have obliged.The breakfasts are superb and if you ask for a dippy egg you get one . Sauce bottles are available and they are clean ! - attention to detail.
I do agree that the pool is not brilliant - it could do with a face lift .
The public areas in the hotel are pleasant with comfortable lounges but some low key entertainmant in the evenings would be welcome perhaps some music - a guy on a guitar ?,pianist? , heavy metal band ( joking ) .There was harpist in the reception area one night she would have perhaps been better placed in the dining room or one of the lounges where we could have relaxed and listened to her.
As for value for money a 5 course quality dinner plus B&B for under £100 at August bank holiday is value for money .
Forget the issue of stars ,they get awarded for facillities not quality .Who needs a trouser press any way ?.The Trefeddian is quality and good value .and we will certainly go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steelman53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdovey
Penhelig Arms
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms
Dovey Inn
Dovey Inn
#7 of 11 in Aberdovey

Been to Trefeddian Hotel? Share your experiences!