“Very good 5 nights at the Tref.”
Review of Trefeddian Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberdovey
Trefeddian Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Aberdovey
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Very good 5 nights at the Tref.”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed end of February with my wife and two children for a 5 night stay at the Trefeddian Hotel. We normally come down to aberdovey in the first week of the school summer holidays, but decided to book a week off work in Feb and bring my wife and kids away.

We had a very good stay, the food was excellent for breakfast & dinner. You can ask your waitress for a small portion for the kids, because 5 courses does take a lot of digesting by night no 4! But on other hand the staff were very helpful and professional, ( one small constructive criticism when we were checked in; the lady behind the reception couldn't break a smile... which I thought was not a very good first impression when you have just checked in after a long journey in the car! )

I do recommend this hotel to any family who wish to bring there kids away, there is plenty to do, beach/swimming/tennis.. Also good value for money in the low season months! Aberdovey is such a peaceful little village tucked away on the west coast of Wales, great for a family holiday. We will back in the summer, with sunshine..

Room Tip: Rooms that end with 17, the side sea facing family bedrooms.. Large and plenty of room for a family...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ethan D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
england
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Our hearts always lift as we drive along the beautiful estuary en route to this hotel. And in this horrible winter the sun came out to meet us. This staff (does any hotel have such a happy workforce) are as friendly , our little dog friendly lounge as cosy,and the pool as delightful as ever.
My tiny quibble, that fish could be overcooked, has been resolved and they now have a steam oven out of which came a delicious dish of steamed stuffed plaice. The sunshine persuaded us to set off for a glorious 7 mile walk in the hills round Bearded Lake ( recommended) fortified by delicious packed lunches.Both breakfasts and dinners were of a very high standard, as ever,and the hotel continues to attract people of all ages. And some dogs!A lovely stay of very good value.I noted a comment that the wine list is overpriced. It is not.

Room Tip: had a sea view, they are wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank travellingpair_10
UK
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We has a lovely weekend in Aberdovey. The hotel was in a perfect location - we had a sea view room, and the views put a smile on your face. The food was of a great standard, and surprisingly imaginative. We enjoyed every mouthful on both nights. The well maintained cruets, cutlery and crockery really made the table settings something special. Wine was not over priced. The hotel offers several great lounges for relaxing after all the food you consume - again all offering great views. Ideal for reading. We also practised our putting on the hotel's putting green. It was extremely well maintained and good fun. The rooms was very comfortable and we slept really well.
There are spa treatments available. What is offered varies day to day. Best to check with reception on what is available before looking at the treatment menu.
Downside - the service in the restaurant was a little to fast at times. Dress code applies in the restaurant of shirt and tie for the gentlemen. Luckily the food made up for this. I am not sure how many more generations will put up with this rule. A young family did eat wearing jeans, so it seems the rule is not too strict. The bathroom could be better equipped with larger towels. I would take a robe if I visited agin. Don't rely on the provided toiletries since they are not the most luxurious.
We really enjoyed our stay in this great location, and if we were passing by again we would stay again. Thanks to everyone for contributing to a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank smithlette
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Firstly, I fully support the sentiments in good reviews of this hotel that concentate on the comfort and relaxing atmosphere. Our room was lovely, with a sea view; the lounge areas are inviting (and I particulary like the dedication of one to dog owners, and I would enjoy sharing it); the excellent choice on the menues, breakfast and dinner; and the location. The dining room staff are wonderful. I also appreciated the packed meal that was made for my friend who had to leave early and miss the evening meal. However, I sense that staff might find it hard to respond flexibly to new situations. For example, I was very concerned about the review that mentioned the poor response to the idea of a small child in the dining room at dinner time (I did notice many children at breakfast). There was also a difficult incident in relation to a room change that is not my story either, but worried me. The story about the snowy road and closed pool in another review are also of concern. I found the staff at reception lacking in knowledge - initially when I phoned about my companion having to leave early I was not told about the packed meal, just that there would be no reduction in the tariff. When I went to speak to them one woman continued what appeared to be a personal conversation, ignoring me. When she did give me her attention, it was from where she was sitting rather than her approaching me at the desk.

So, would I return? Yes, as I think that it is probable that my concerns are isolated incidents and unlikely to reoccur. However, I believe that management could learn from the negative review comments and not rely entirely on the positive always overcoming the reservations they raise.

Room Tip: The sea views and balconies are worth it when it is sunny.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cindylou45
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Recently had an overnight stop at this beautifully located hotel with myself & my husband 2 kids & 2 dalmation dogs... Honestly couldn't have picked a better place... Very dog friendly and lots to keep the kids happy, swimming pool, snooker, table tennis & mini golf! Bliss...The rooms are extremely comfortable & we had a fantastic view of the beach & golf course. Food is excellent and very traditional in the dining room... Bar & lounges are a great place to settle in with a book or a newspaper. A great place to just RELAX!
Look forward to returning again very soon

• Stayed March 2013
Bridgnorth
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

We've been to the 'Tref' at least once a year over the last few years and we're never disappointed.

The food this time was even better than ever and June our waitress (30 years service this year apparently!) was brilliant.

It's old fashioned and slightly quirky and not cheap but it is a class act.

See you next year if not before!

• Stayed February 2013
Hull
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Went for a weekend in January. The location is magniificent, on a hillside overlooking Cardigan Bay, and our room had a balcony to take advantage of the view. The room was comfortable, as were the public rooms - several lounges with library chairs and good reading material. Dinner and breakfast were tasty and well-cooked, although the portions at dinner could have been larger, and the price of wine was excessive.
A manageable walk into Aberdovey, where there are a few shops, cafes and pubs - we were able to get down one drive in snow, although the other was impassable for the whole of our stay - all that would have been needed was some salt on about 10 yards near the top.
Our main concern was the heated pool - this is advertised as a main attraction of the hotel and convinced us to book, as there would be little else to do on a January Welsh weekend when snow was forecast. We thought that a restful weekend in the hotel, interspersed with an amble into Aberdovey and a few dips in the heated pool would be just what we needed. We booked 3 days before our trip, but the first we knew about problems with the pool was when we found a letter pushed under our room door after checking in on the Friday night, to say that the pool was closed as the heating was not working, but that it was expected to be in use by Sunday morning. Apparently it was not working when we booked, so the hotel knew that there were problems, but we were not told at that time - had we been told, we would have booked for a later weekend. Nor did the check-in staff say anything.
We had to check out by 10 a.m. on the Sunday morning (ridiculously early!!) and the pool was still not open. Just as well, perhaps, as the steps to it had not been cleared and were very icy. A number of other residents were disappointed that they could not use the pool, but no reduction in bills was offered. This spoiled waht could have been a great weekend.

Room Tip: choose a seaview room - otherwise the hotel would be similar to others anywhere.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank c0ttingham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdovey
Penhelig Arms
Ty'r Graig Castle
Ty'r Graig Castle
#1 of 4 in Barmouth
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms

Been to Trefeddian Hotel? Share your experiences!