“Friendly staff but food not great”
Review of Dovey Inn

Dovey Inn
Ranked #10 of 15 Restaurants in Aberdovey
Cuisines: Pub, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My wife and I called in here for a drink and some food one evening. The beer was good, though pricey, and the staff were friendly but the food was not great. I had a chilli which was pretty tasteless and my wife had some sort of chicken in barbecue sauce but the chicken was tough and the sauce quite sharp.

There are newer reviews for Dovey Inn

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Almost bypassed this place. But glad I gave it a try. Nice big pub and good pub grub, home cooked. Lazange was a bit dried up but tasty, beer battered cod lovely

1  Thank Derek M
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

A very clean and friendly hostelry on Aberdovey waterfront: a great wine list and good beers.
We only shared a bowl of chips, but they were freshly home cooked.
Comfy leather armchairs in a spacious lounge area.
If I were here for a few days I'd return here to watch The RBS Six Nations - great atmosphere.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We called at The Dovey for a quick lunch & left disappointed. We were greeted by ignorant bar staff who couldn't be bothered to speak let alone serve us. We ordered two pretty basic meals (baked cod with veg & burger & chips). After a 45min wait, our meals turned up cold & over cooked. The veg looked like left overs from the previous week's Sunday dinner, in fact I couldn't even eat it. There was no salt & pepper on the tables, though the waitress did grudgingly get some sauces for us.

Considering the location & layout of this Hotel, I would expect a much better service. Next time I will go to The Penhelig where the staff are always friendly & the food is great.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed the night. Room was reasonable value and it was obvious hotel had been refurbished. Unfortunately the attention to detail is lacking with a few broken fixtures and fittings and wonky furniture. A shame as building looks good.
Meal was slow to arrive and just OK considering the prices charged. All sides including chips extra! Usually expect the price of a meal to include something other than the steak. This was premier Inn fare at 3 x the price.
Staff tried hard but impression was that they only work there and don't go the extra mile.
Breakfast was builders fare. Would have preferred less to eat but local quality produce not cheap stuff.
Overall good do better. Places like this make me just want to get involved and say to owner what would you expect? Give it to your guests.