“Nice Find”

Cuisines: Pub, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a lunch here. Quite an extensive menu. Had the Cashew Nut Paella as it sounded different. It was a tad bland but the salad served with it was good. Had the Chocolate & Hazelnut Bombe for pudding which was divine. Service was quite slow despite the pub not being that full. Nice surroundings and atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Dovey Inn

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and friends ate here for the first time in a few years. It has undergone a big refurbishment since the last time i visited, and it's much more food orientated.

We ordered our food at the bar, and the waiter read our order back to us at the table. It was quite busy, and we were told whilst ordering that it could take about 25 minutes for our meals, which I think is fair. After 20 mins our food arrived, very nicely presented, and steaming hot. I ordered the beef burrito and my friend had the taverners chicken. Both were delicious!!! The burrito was huge, very filling!

The staff were very attentive and friendly, offering us desserts and drinks at the table. Even the new management team came over and introduced themselves, and asking how our meals were. All in all a very pleasant experience, and I will be highly recommending it.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Visited this PUb /Restaurant during a recent holiday in Aberdovey. Should probably have been suspicious of likely quality due to very extensive menu suggesting likely mass produced frozen food.... slow ordering / poor service ( due to obvious inadequate staffing rather than lack of interest by waitress)) - Most of our group of 8 would have sent food back / complained if had not been famiy get together and no one wanting to spoil occasion. Chicken faitas with no chicken / roast port served with mint sauce - roast beef with raw roast potatoes we did not risk deserts ! Such a shame as beautiful location - feel they are complacent as serving mainly tourist clientel

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Shambles

A group of four of us ate in here on a Tuesday evening. This was my third visit recently, after having stayed away for years because the food and service became so awful. My previous two visits since Brains took over were good experiences, with the first one reviewed here. So it was with confidence that I booked a third visit with some good friends. However, after this experience I doubt very much if I’ll ever venture in again, although I may possibly try it once more to see if anyone at Brains reads and acts upon poor reviews.

The only way to describe the evening was as a shambles. After placing our order we had to wait around three quarters of an hour for our food, and we could see clearly that other customers were having the same or even worse waits. One group had to wait a while before they were even allowed to order! Of the four meals we ordered one arrived 15 minutes after the other three – this really is unforgivable. Admitted, we did omit to order the fourth meal initially, but this was rectified within a minute. We didn’t bother with deserts, as couldn’t bear the thought of waiting another three quarters of an hour. The reason given for the delay was ‘difficulties in the kitchen’.

So, what about the food this time? Well, the tagine was fine, but the fajita was badly presented: the sauces were slopped onto the plate rather than served in little pots so were not easy to use, the jacket potato was cremated to grenade status, and no provision was made for actually filling and folding the fajita – oh, and the main ingredient arrived in two halves. The piri-piri when it finally arrived was a disgrace – it looked as if someone had snatched a few scraps and chucked them on a plate. Difficulties in the kitchen? Lack of trained cooks in the kitchen more like! We would have refused to pay the full cost of the meal – but you have to pay as you order or leave your payment card with them.

Then finally, there was an older man working the bar who really shouldn’t be doing this sort of work – surly and with no clue whatsoever on how to deal with customers, the people who are paying his wages. There was no eye contact or interaction of any sort. Why do people like this so often work in pubs?

Clearly there are issues here to be addressed by the manager – if there is actually someone managing the place – the evidence would suggest otherwise.

This pub is in a prime position in a popular seaside village that attracts a well off clientele. Brains really need to get the running of it sorted before it returns to its previous poor reputation.

If you do intend to eat here, I would recommend that you check with other customers before committing yourself with an order.

2  Thank CJE1944
Manager_Dovey_Inn, Manager at Dovey Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2014

I'm very sorry to hear about your bad experience with us from earlier this year.

We are now under new management and would very much like to see you return here for a much improved experience. We now have a new menu coming out, and if you would like to call me directly on 01654767332 to explain more about your experience then please do not hesitate.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Mike
Dovey Inn

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I took my Parents back to Aberdovey, for a trip down memory lane, after years of childhood holidays.
For lunch we decided to call at the Dovey Inn.
A warm welcome by the new manager John, followed by a huge beer battered cod, (with the crunchiest batter ever) chips and mushy peas.
Excellent coffee, tea and hot chocolate, would have loved to try a beer or two, but unfortunately driving!
John came over to chat, and introduced his wife Mary and colleague Phoebe.
They indulged my over enthusiastic parents, listening to and contributing enthusiastically to their tales of holidays long gone, it made their day extra special!

Thanks Steve Ob