“Room with a view”

The Salty Dog Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #15 of 172 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$7 - US$80
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, View, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bangor seafront with views over Belfast Lough The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro prides itself on using local produce to create traditional and contemporary dishes with a twist.From bar snacks, to classic pub food and bistro dishes, as well as our a la carte, we work with local producers to bring the best of Irish Ingredients to the plate; breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was recommended this place by a friend – word of mouth goes a long way – and glad to say it met expectations. The place has plenty of atmosphere and a great view over the harbour. The staff were pleasant and helpful, the menu had a good and varied selection, and the food was well presented and very tasty. Price was maybe above average but no complaints considering the overall experience!

1  Thank Keith H

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Good crowd and ambiance with about 90% occupancy and with no booking and an 20:30, sitting so what did I expect. Well service would have been a nice start.
It didn't start well and went down from there. How difficult is it to bring a glass of wine? Apparently quite easy to forget my two calls for my wife's wine. I had my back to the specials board which I never knew about until deep into my coma of waiting.The waitress never told me about them and I wish she had for at least they may have been worth the wait of 40 minutes before anything arrived, A simple menu with nothing too challenging or exciting but I had hopes of it being flavorsome. Wrong. Bland is the best I can say and I could say a lot worse, but its now Sunday so am trying to be charitable. At these prices I would expect better, A lot better.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I've been a few times with my wife and enjoyed the quality and presentation of the food... The chef is a professional. The location overlooking is lovely for a special occasion. I did notice that they do a very reasonable early bird menu including the daily specials.

We took our young daughter for a treat after a recent exam and were very impressed by the attention to detail in her menu (presenting a 4-course experience in the same leather bound adult menu format for c. 7 pounds)

Well worth a visit if you like fine dining!

1  Thank BYO_MANBangor
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I had dinner here on a Saturday evening.We found the food to be average , the starters were ok . I had to send my steak back to have it cooked the way I asked. The waiter was polite when dealing with the situation but was making excuses for the chef (he should know how to cook a steak), and no one asked my wife would she like her meal kept warm, we went out for dinner together and because I had to send mine back twice we both ate separately. They told me they would take my steak off the bill which I appreciated but when paying they gave me the wrong bill. I again had to call some one to rectify another mistake. I have eaten here before for lunch which was good, maybe it was just an unlucky night,!!!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

It being Boxing Day and wanting to relax and unwind, we were not disappointed when we arrived at The Salty Dog and were seated very quickly. Our drinks order was taken quickly and we were given the menu.
It being Boxing Day there was a limited menu and we both opted for the two course special at £18.50 per person.
As a starter my partner ordered the broccoli soup followed by the salmon, I chose to have the pork loin and berry crumble for dessert.
The soup arrived and was delicious. So far so good, by this stage I was really looking forward to the mains as everything had been superb, however this dramatically changed when my pork loin was served.
My pork loin consisted of two strips of pork, however one strip was uncooked, and this set the mood for the rest of our visit to go dramatically downhill.
Once the waiter came to clear the plates, we pointed out the raw pork, he apologised, and said he would point this out to the kitchen.i ordered berry crumble, whilst my partner ordered an Irish coffee.
The Irish coffee promptly arrived, however it lacked the typical Irish part being the whiskey. Once we attracted the waiters attention and explained that the coffee lacked whiskey, he tried to explain that if we had Irish coffee the day before or indeed made them at home they would be stronger, meaning we couldn't taste the whiskey, however trying to explain that I myself do not drink whiskey at all and can usually smell it, never having to even taste it. He proceeded to try the coffee and noted the extreme lack of whiskey and got a half shot from the bar and tipped it in rather than making a new coffee.
My dessert then arrived....berry crumble with Luke warm custard and whole meal biscuits crumbled on top is all I can say. Yes it was presented lovely, but did not leave any taste buds tingling.
We still had not heard anything from the kitchen or someone from management with regards to serving raw pork and requested the bill.
The bill came and we then noticed we had been charged an extra £6.50 for the Luke warm dessert.
We paid and left and were still shocked that no one had fully apologised for a such an atrocious dinner.
Never again shall we visit....

1  Thank Kerry S