“Superb”

The Salty Dog Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #15 of 175 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$7 - US$76
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bangor seafront with views over Belfast Lough The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro prides itself on using local produce to create traditional and contemporary dishes with a twist.From bar snacks, to classic pub food and bistro dishes, as well as our a la carte, we work with local producers to bring the best of Irish Ingredients to the plate; breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Brought Australian family to the salty dog for a meal and could honestly say it was outstanding scallops for starters were beaut and as Australians are really into there fish said they wer the best they have had the pan fried chicken duo was so tasty and was the lamb and duck dishes service faultless will defo be back

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

First visit with our dining card and unsure what to expect. The menu is tempting with lots of unusual twists and accompanying 'rare' words for Scrabble use. Even as foodies there were a few new ones! The game terrine was served with mini loaf and relish and was beautifully presented and tasty. I had the crab and dulse tagliatelle - great to see dulse being used in local cuisine. This was delicious but could have been a little hotter. Unsure if the blackboard specials had been pointed out but after ordering from the A La Carte I spotted the pigeon on the specials and was very pleased I could change my order. It was breast served with smoked celeriac purée and olive mash - little spinach and half roast carrot completed a pretty plate. My husband enjoyed the lamb shank served with mustard mash and cabbage. We sampled the triple cooked chips which were excellent - if expensive for sides. The service was great and we were well looked after. We both chose desserts from the specials - bread and butter pudding and chocolate pot with cherry sorbet which was very rich and delicious. All in all a super meal. The only other thing to mention was a table too small for the plates and glasses and a plate with a wobbly base! Definitely recommend this to visitors to Bangor and locals alike. We'll be back!

2  Thank SortedbyGwen
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Went on a Saturday night, staff and service could not be faulted. The food was acceptable however the portion sizes were very small. Also a little pricey for what you get.

1  Thank SmythFamily_33
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We went to The Salty Dog last week using one of their recent meal vouchers they have been pushing online. To be honest I wasnt overly impressed the last time we went but that was a couple of years ago so we thought it was time to give it another shot... sadly, foodwise not much has changed.

To start I had the carpaccio of beef, which was OK but certainly not worth the £8.50 it was priced at on the menu. My wife had the parfait which was good but didnt come with anywhere near enough bread to spread it on.

The mains were very disappointing.... we both ordered steak, and there was a £5 supplement on each... £23 for a 10oz rib eye is vastly overpriced in my opinion, especially as it wasnt cooked properly (why is is so difficult to get a rare steak these days?). My wifes fillet was better, and was more pink that my supposedly rare offering, even though she asked for medium.... but again, at £26 for an 8oz steak I felt it was nowhere near value for money. The sides at nearly £4 each were also very small.

On the upside, the service was very good and I like the surroundings... their own Salty Dog lager is also very pleasant..... so I guess I would go back for a drink, but the food just isnt up to the prices they are charging, especially when you compare it to some of the other competition in the area

1  Thank SubCultureUK
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Eaten here many tea recently for breakfast and lunch and have found it to be consistent and flavoursome with excellent staff. Quite pricey but worth it.

1  Thank pete18107