“Some problems”

Price range: US$6 - US$74
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bangor seafront with views over Belfast Lough The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro prides itself on using local produce to create traditional and contemporary dishes with a twist.From bar snacks, to classic pub food and bistro dishes, as well as our a la carte, we work with local producers to bring the best of Irish Ingredients to the plate; breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
Bangor, Northern Ireland
“Some problems”
Reviewed 2 October 2008

My wife and I ate at The Salty Dog last month after hearing some good reports. On arriving I thought it was strange that there were bouncers/doormen. We were seated right next to the bar - unfortunately this isn't just for people waiting for their table to become available. There was a large group of guys drinking at the bar - you would have to describe them as 'rough'. They didn't directly interfere with us, but I could see that other diners looked a little uncomfortable. The more beer consumed the louder they got, with one drinker simulating a very adult activity to his cohorts a few feet from our table the low point.

The food itself was ok, pretty basic pub food but done well. The staff were fairly attentive but their tolerance of the 'off the street' drinkers would lead me to believe it is normal Saturday business.

I would guess your experience depends very much where they seat you, so be wary. I would say if they want to really compete with the best Bangor has to offer the management should try to keep diners and drinkers apart.