“Excellent fish and chips” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Salty Dog Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #16 of 157 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$6 - US$71
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated on Bangor seafront with views over Belfast Lough The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro prides itself on using local produce to create traditional and contemporary dishes with a twist.From bar snacks, to classic pub food and bistro dishes, as well as our a la carte, we work with local producers to bring the best of Irish Ingredients to the plate; breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
Northern Ireland
“Excellent fish and chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

enjoyed a lovely meal recently in The Salty Dog. the fish and chips were the best I have tasted
fish was done in a very light batter,which wasn't greasy. Lovely view of the sea and there was a good atmosphere and pleasant staff. would definitely recommend a meal in this restaurant as all the food being taken to other tables looked very good.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

N.Ireland
“Love!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Have visited on many occasions and have never had a bad experience. Always a great atmosphere and well sourced local food. Service and food is of a high standard. Friendly staff. Great to go for a snack or coffee as well as our favourite, dinner in the evening catching the sun setting on Bangor Bay. My only gripe is I would like to see a different lunch menu with less expensive prices than the evening.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Fish and Chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Very nice venue, good food and great views. Service was quick and attentive. Prices were reasonable. Floor could have done with a hoover and mop but apart from this no complaints.

• Visited June 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had been looking forward to a trip to this restaurant for a while, but I have to say was really disappointed. Everything was fine to begin, service was good and we had a lovely table. We had the breads to start which were lovely. We were eating off the A La Carte menu which wasn't cheap so expected it to be good. I ordered the turbot and my husband ordered the Suckling pig, however this was where it all started to go wrong. Mine I have to say was lovely, but looking at the portions a side dish between us would have been needed. The Suckling pig was awful! It consisted of 2 small cutlets sitting on a pile of mushy meat that was stone cold! No lovely crispy crackling, no gravy or jus, but a dollop of a red coloured sauce and a couple of potatoes no bigger than gnocci. The meat was bland and tasteless. When I remarked to the waiter on how cold it was he said that was how it was served at room temperature. No way was this room temp. He did ask if we would prefer something else, but my hubby is not one to complain and said no, however I did ask for a bowl of chips given the portion size. These came a few minutes later and were virtually cremated. Again when we remarked to the waiter how burnt they were he said, "but I am not charging you for them" and then asked if he should bring the dessert menu.. to which we answered no!
Overall the experience was very disappointing and I know I won't convince my hubby to go back!

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Setdancer9292
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Called into the salty dog for a snack at lunchtime, wow fantastic! Then had an evening meal last night for a party of 7. The staff were so accommodating, the food excellent I would recommend you try this for yourselves. We will return , thank you to all the staff!

2 Thank Allison T