“Enjoyable Dinners”

The Salty Dog Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #14 of 158 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$6 - US$73
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated on Bangor seafront with views over Belfast Lough The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro prides itself on using local produce to create traditional and contemporary dishes with a twist.From bar snacks, to classic pub food and bistro dishes, as well as our a la carte, we work with local producers to bring the best of Irish Ingredients to the plate; breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Dinners”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Had dinner here twice recently and each time it was a very enjoyable experience. On one occasion had a party of eight and everyone had a great time. The food is very good and well presented. At peak times service can be a bit slow but always friendly. Staff at front of restaurant are always very helpful and will try to accommodate you. Great views across Belfast Lough and the location is great.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good food, friendly but slow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch with family in salty dog. It was my first visit, but family had been before and enjoyed. Food was excellent, I had the stonebass with mussel broth which was perfectly cooked. Waitress was knowledgeable about the fish when I asked where it was from which is very refreshing! Good choice of wines and good choice on menu. One negative point is the speed of service (50 min wait between arriving and getting food, I'd been warned about this before going) although the food is well worth the wait, and as I've heard from various salty dog diners, they seem to be trying to improve the service. Also at least I knew the food was freshly cooked! I'd recommend giving it a go and I look forward to returning to better service in the future.

Northern Ireland
“Saturday Night - Noisy and Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I visited the Salty Dog on Saturday 16 th of August 2014 with three other adult friends.Our reservation was for after eight and we were seated promptly when we arrived.. The bar/ restaurant was rammed and noisy ,but it did have that Saturday night feeling and atmosphere
The menu was pretty restricted and the dishes on offer are the standard fare for this type of establishment. Prices for food and wine are more expensive than I would have expected for the area and the portions are not large, In particular the starters that we ordered ,which cost approximately £7/8 were very meager and sparse.

The service was slow. It took nearly two hours to order and serve two courses to our table. The noise levels increased through out the meal.The food was workman like , unexciting in taste and presentation.

In summary , a bar with restaurant pretensions and prices serving , standard fare in reduced portions. Very busy on a Saturday night and noisy.

Probably best to go,if you must, mid week or at least earlier in the day.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent food good service and the view is great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

This restaurant has one of the best combinations I know. Superior pub grub with a good range of in date specials. Reasonably priced the mains vary widely so it suits most pockets. The staff are happy and quick, although they do get busy at times and it slows down. I normally take the fish pie (which is really good but not a low calorie option) but today I took the best fish and chips I have ever had (although to be fair its not an option I often go for). One comment no staff name badges so I can't name and thank our waitress. Go and enjoy

“Very tasty food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Restaurant review only. Food is lovely, reasonably priced and you can bring your dog in. Not into the actual restaurant but dogs allowed in the lounge bar. Will be back for sure!