“7 course tasting menu - delicious”

The Boat House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 160 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$30 - US$95
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The best of international cooking using great local produce served with flair.
Belfast
“7 course tasting menu - delicious”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I had never been before to this venue but a friend bought me a voucher as a present. This is a boat house converted, a small venue which has a "tardis" like quality as the building looks tiny on the surface but extends down below into a basement restaurant.

I took 2 friends and we decided on the 7 course tasting menu. There was no "menu" to tell us what each dish was but instead the Dutch chef came out and personally "presented" each dish, telling us how he and his team had prepared it.

The food was truly beautiful and I got a chance to taste items I would possibly never order, a beetroot based crab salad with beetroot macaroons and beetroot pearls being an example, I thought I hated beetroot. This was delicious ....

Another highlight is their gin list, order a gin and tonic and you are presented with a list of gins - not standard brands but instead less known to me. We sampled the Breuckelen Glorious Gin from New York which everyone enjoyed.

There were some lovely touches.. Molton Brown in the gents with fresh rolled hand towels, the chefs's easy manner with customers, the waiter not pouring wine out while gin and tonics still on the go. The cheese course was actually a little deep fried blue cheese snack the chef had augmented from Holland and it was very tasty.

All in all a really enjoyable educational night, and many thanks to all the staff :)

2 Thank fredordead

“Compact and Bijou”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Would I recommend this restaurant to visitors? In brief yes.Why you may enquire ----simply because of its unique small but central location with a limited but very good menu, great staff who are very attentive.Not inexpensive by any means but well worth the visit.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bader54
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Truly great dining experience”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have visited the Boathouse a few times and each time it seems to get better. The food is very different and the staff very attentive. The greatest care and attention is given to everyone and usually at the end of the evening the chef comes down to talk to the diners. As someone else has already mentioned the food 'is art on the plate'. If you have difficulty in choosing a wine then just ask Jasper for help.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank OwnerPauline
“great food”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

was there two weeks ago with my wife..the menu was set at £30 for three courses.Each course had a good selection.Food was wonderful,served by very helpful and attentive staff..We were allowed ample time between courses and it felt a very relaxing evening..Only down side was it wasn't cheap.Not much change out of £100 for food,one bottle of wine,couple of beers and coffee.
Worth a visit for a special occasion.

• Visited April 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“The Boat House”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We tried the boat house for a special occasion and were delighted with the whole experiance. The staff were attentive and genuinely engaging, the waitress that delivered our food explained every morsel of food that adorned our plates.The wine waiter was invaluable and made the dinning even more enjoyable. The combination and selection of food was a sensory explosion and the draw to come back and dine again has proved irresistible. I won't dwell to much on the menu a it would not be the right thing to do and I may influence you with my taste, better if you go along and discover this little gem of a place for yourself, give it a go, you'll love it.

• Visited March 2014