“The soul has gone out of this place”

The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed here again in December! Never again, the staff were grumpy the food was average and the room was poor! I used to love this place when I stay in Bangor! The French manager was a pompous a arrogant guy who strutted about looking diss approvingly at everything and everybody! When I complained about an issue with my meal he tried to justify it by saying that was how it is done! Will not be back! Shame as it was previously very good!

• Stayed: December 2011
There are newer reviews for The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro

Reviewed 12 December 2011

I had a meal in the restaurant last Saturday. It had a nice ambiance and lovely decor, the waiting staff were friendly, efficient and we had some banter with them. Even the French waiter that someone mentioned in one of the other reviews was fine if slightly aloof (I just put this down to him being French!)
My one big gripe is that it is one of those restaurants that seems to take great care on the presentation and serving of the food (with the waiters going so far as making sure your plate is in the correct orientation!) which is fine, but there wasn't much on the plate. What was there tasted great, there just wasn't much of it. There's nothing I love more than sitting back after a meal patting my belly feeling stuffed. Unfortunately that feeling was sadly lacking at the Salty Dog.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2011

we didn't stay in this hotel but had a superb meal in the restaurant. We are food lovers and eat out regulay. My meal of crispy pork belly and liver( i know not a lot of people like liver!) was beyond good served with black pudding(amazing) and mashed potato in a dish with caramalised onions/chutney underneath) a dream of tastes. Can't wait to go back for the 5 course tasting menu.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tactiledrop
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I specifically booked the Salty Dog after having a great meal there in September.
I booked the Deluxe Seaview Room (£65 BandB) and was more than happy.
Yeah, the room could do with being tarted up slightly, but it was huge!
The staff could not have been friendlier, and the breakfast (a fry of course) was superb.
I read the latest review with a bit of interest, as I stayed in the property just after the TV documentary about Trip Advisor contributors, I make no comment about the reviewer,but, I would just like to say that my experiences of the Salty Dog have been completely different.
I liked it a lot, and i'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Went into the restaurant on friday afternoon at 12pm with my Mum. 2 Tables in the whole place and we had to wait to be seated. A woman who was obviously the manager told us that somebody would be with us in a minute, I have been in hospitality for 15years and have never left a customer waiting. We were seated then brought menus, the offer was far too evening dining led so we said we would just like to finish our drinks and then go. The waiter then rudely asked us to move to the bar as he could use our table for someone else. I would not have had a problem at this if there was a waiting list but this was now 12.15 and still only two tables in the place. We would have been 10mins more maximum. Again This may have been just a singular experience but I will never go to this restaurant again because of lazy management and a rude pretentious waiter. Bangor deserves high end, comfortable & great dining experiences. This is not one of them. Avoid, go to Jeffers instead.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank rews76
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Went for dinner with friends and the food was fabulous. Decor and ambience were perfect. Would recommend this as the best in north down.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Stayed last nite room was basic and could do with an overhaul but the view from the room was excellent. Had dinner what can i say truely amazing by far the best i have eaten in a while. Staff where very friendly and helpful through out.

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Marine Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newtownards
Loughshore Hotel
Loughshore Hotel
#2 of 6 in Carrickfergus

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!