“Great Place To Stay”

The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great place to get the train into Belfast for sightseeing and Titanic museum visit. Spacious room, very clean, nice furnishings. Very friendly staff, food tasty great buzz to restaurant. Good choice at breakfast. Parking on road within easy reach. No lift so not for less able unless room on lower floor. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 September 2012

When a read the comment by a recent reviewer "Mitchelin prices for Mcdonalds food" I felt I had to say something. I go to The Salty Dog regularly, for evening meals the food is amazing, beautifully presented, great taste and a chef who isn't afraid to experiment but always hits the mark. Quick tasty lunches with fast service and plenty of choice. Great breakfast for either residents or non-residents with prices just a few pounds more than a local diner but food is 100 times better.

Great catering for groups, excellent for a quick coffee, afternoon snack, coffee and free wifi for business meetings with convenient parking.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My son took us here for Sunday Lunch , the menu is very limited and very expensive for what you get.There is a small dark haired waitress and she is very cocky and not very helpful at that.I ordered the steak Anglais whatever that means and i was presented with 4 wafer thin slices of steak and a tiny bowl of chips for £15 there was two Asparagus Tips on the plate aswell and that was it.I had to make myself something to eat when i got home as i was still hungry.If we had been there on our own i would have said something but as my son was paying i didnt want to ruin his day.We used to go here a lot but it changed hands and i will not be revisiting.They are charging Mitchelin prices for Mcdonalds food.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mark I
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My daughters and I stayed for one night, we booked a room for one and a twin room without sea views. The rooms were stylishly furnished and comfortable, Bathroom ensuite spacious and clean, with a good choice of toiletries. Hair driers and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The rooms were spacious and though without views, this made no difference to us as we did not spend much time in them, but wished we had had an extra day to enjoy it properly.

We arrived early to attend a wedding and they made sure one of the rooms was ready for us to prepare in at no extra cost. The reception staff were friendly, and called us a taxi to reach the church in time.

On arrival late after the reception, the staff were friendly and helpful, providing us with fresh chilled bottles of water for our room.

Breakfast was delicious, we all ate a variety of things, again the service was with a smile and very helpful.

It was in a fairly quiet situation, and facing the lifeboat harbour and the sea. And we would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: A sea view would have been good if staying longer.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank violetchild
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I recently ha afternoon tea here with a friend for a catch up the coffee and selection of scones and mini dessert bites was fabulous we did have to wait 25-30 mins tho would have been nice to have a coffee refill it was great value at £5 will be back!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My boyfriend and I visited on Sunday evening for dinner, poor selection on the menu. The starters arrived half an hour after we placed our orders (tomato soup and cod fish cake), the main courses again took a long time (30-40 mins) to arrive. I ordered the cod with haddock and my boyfriend ordered the beef, on ordering the waitress indicated there may be no fish left and I said I would have the beef if there was no fish when she checked. The waitress never came back to tell me if i would be having the fish, when it arrived it was the fish with only half a fillet of cod and no smoked haddock, my boyfriends meal was average. Unfortunately the service was poor we ordered a coke when the starter plates were being cleared and it did not arrive until we had finished our main courses and no water was offered to us during our meal - disappointing service and poor food, this restaurant used to be fab fingers crossed it will bounce back !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My fiancée and I stayed in Room 1 on Friday 10th August. The location was great, very convenient with a car park directly opposite and right on the harbour front. We spent the evening out in Bangor, came back very late to very friendly staff who made us some fabulous cocktails with a cheery smile even though it was well into the wee small hours.
Friends joined us for breakfast, which was lovely. My fiancée had the fry up, but 2 of us had the eggs Benedict which was spot on!!
The room was very spacious, if a little noisy (especially with a hangover) but what do you expect when you are right on the harbour front!
We returned for supper a few days later, had the mussels and the fish pie which were just right, (exactly what it said on the tin!). we sat in the apparently very popular window seat and all the staff were great!
Having read the other two reviews from last weekend, I am a little surprised. I found all the staff extremely helpful and friendly (I know I do always engage them in conversation, but, they were all lovely!!)
Well worth a try....we are fairly well travelled and I used to own a restaurant....I have seen many a lot worse!!!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night, or early morning, do not sleep in a room at the front, But the view is lo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Marine Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Holywood
Strangford Arms Hotel
Strangford Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newtownards

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!