The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
US$113
US$160
US$147
US$120
Ennislare Guest House(Bangor)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$120
US$127
US$334
US$322
Priceline
All reviewsbig dogdog friendly hotelchowderfish piedogs are allowedmushy peasno liftsunday afternoonwine listeggs benedictwindow seatafternoon teadeluxe roombangor baystaff were lovelyrelaxed atmospherebirthday treat
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Stayed down here for dinner and staying over the night. The staff were helpful in checking us in and showing us to our room. They wee also able to offer some useful concierge assistance.

The room was very comfortable and suitable for our needs. The room also provided a very comfortable we were able to get a relaxed nights sleep.

The meal was very good, but maybe a little overpriced (but then it is Christmas). Had an enjoyable evening and the price of the meal was the only possible drawback.

Breakfast the next day was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had (and I've stayed in five-star hotels in Maldives) so I could definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We spent 3 nights over a weekend and it was great. Breakfast was spot on and we had one evening meal that we both enjoyed .Staff were very nice and our room was okay. The hotel is in a beautiful location and we will be returning in the future.

Mark & Debbie Hunt
Leicester

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 27 January 2013

V pleasantly surprised by the level of comfort and welcome supplied by the Salty Dog. Room was gorgeous with view over Belfast Lough (better than it sounds!) and food was really very good. Tested their lamb shank with celeriac puree and green beans at dinner and their v fine eggs benedict for breakfast both excellent and good value for money as was their chateau bottled chablis (we may have overtested the Chablis but, hey ho!)
Would definitely recommend you stay there when you're next in Bangor (Co. Down that is!)

Room Tip: We were in room 10 - tiny wee gripe couldn't see tv when luxuriating in sleigh bed due to foot board of bed - but , hell who was watching tv!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2013

A slight discrepancy in the times of the Special 2/3 course menu was quickly sorted and they honoured the special price despite us being a bit late for their new times. Food was nothing short of excellent with service & staff to match. This was our first visit under the new owners and we will be back. One small point would be that I felt the wine was a little pricey, £16 being the cheapest. (Beers & spirits reasonably priced) I nearly stuck with a beer but went for a bottle of wine in the end and it was quite nice but a bit expensive for us for a mid week late tea. A reasonable House wine would be my preference. However, I would not take anything off for this. You get what you pay for but unfortunately you can't always afford to pay the price. Overall, a nice experience and worth the money.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I have mixed feelings about this review as my husband and I had a lovely experience staying in the Salty Dog but our meal was pretty bad. So I'll try and break it down into sections:
- The best thing was the service. Great relaxed atmosphere created by the waiting staff but particularly the bar staff. After our meal we sat at the bar and ordered cocktails and had great banter with the bar staff who were very knowledgable and clearly enjoying making cocktails and interacting with guests. So that went a long way to contirbuting to how great a night we had.
- I also like the room. We got upgraded to a Delux Seaview from the Superior seaview I had requested so that was nice. It was spacious and done in an interesting style with dark wood antique furniture that went well with the high ceilings and original features. The bathroom was a bit shabby with peeling wallpaper and a bit of cracked plaster so I would say it needs a bit of attention. It is possible to do the "shabby chic" style while still maintaining a high level of decor throughout.
- Now to the meal: I'm sure the restaurant does the classics quite well - the chowder, burgers, fish and chips all looked great coming out. But we wanted to try the a la carte menu as we like something a bit more creative. The menu read very well - sounded like the dishes had been well thought out with creatvitiy and designed to show off a bit of skill. However, when the food arrived this only made the disappointment even worse. Basically, the problem lay in the execution. I had the worst experience as 2 out of my 3 courses were essentially inedible. I'm not a fussy person and I enjoy challenging dishes but these were just bad. The started of cured salted cod with wild flower salad was awful. Instead of serving the cod as a thinly sliced carpaccio they served chunks of fish that were like putting spoonfuls of salt directly into your mouth. The balance of the dish was just all wrong - a perfectly poached egg yolk on the plate tried to save it but it was fighting a losing battle. I seriously think the chef must have never tasted this dish himself or he would surely know how awful it tastes. My main course was a rack of pork (basically a pork shop) which was well seasoned and well cooked to retain moisture and had a nice serving of sauce and spinach alongside it. But the potato served with it was waxy and left the bad taste of whatever oil it was cooked in. Overall, a decent main though. BUT dessert was another disaster for me. I had the apple tart tatin with flaming sorbet. The tart tatin had a thick, stodgy apple jelly that didn't taste great but with the freshness of the sorbet would have been nice enough on the puff pastry base. However, the waiter then added a shot of something into the bowl and set fire to the whole thing. The flame went out a bit too quickly I think as I was left with a bowl of the strongest, harshest tasting alcohol I've ever had, which all soaked into the pastry at the bottom of the tart and made it impossible to eat. I think this dish also needs reworked.
- Our breakfast the next morning was really lovely though - a nicely done fry up with obviously good quality ingredients and well cooked.

So overall I'd say I wish in hindsight I had booked us into the Boathouse Inn for dinner which is just across the road and apparently has amazing food. then we could have just come to the Salty Dog for drinks and had a lovely evening stay not ruined by poor food. Great for drinking and sleeping but not for dining!
One last point is that when I booked I was asked if I'd like the "special" that gave a flat rate of £150 for dinner and B&B but since the room I wanted only cost £80 for B&B this would have required us to spend £70 on dinner to make it worth our while. As it turns out, there are only a couple of options on the menu that would actually result in you spending that much - one of which is the steak which they actually informed us was not included in the deal! To be honest, they are taking money off people with this deal and I don't like that as a "special" is supposed to save you money, not make you spend more than you would have if you booked separately. I've written to them to ask about this but have had no reply.

Lovely staff, great bar, nice room with very comfy bed, enjoyable brakfast, probably do good pub grub but bad a la carte menu. I'd advise them to scrap the fancy stuff and stick to what they do well!

Room Tip: A seaview room is a must. Otherwise what's the point?
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple