“Won't be back.”

The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch and was sorely disappointed. Lovely location and friendly service was spoiled by truly terrible and overpriced food. Bland fishcake followed by steak in a puddle of spinach juice, both served with yesterday's hollandaise sauce. 3 courses and drinks for 2 came to £50. Can safely say will never return.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Calvin L

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Just returned from an early evening tea. Having been many times before, we were so disappointed with our meal. We ordered breads, oils, butter etc. to share as a starter. There was a good selection of breads, ample for two. We expected the breads to be warm, they were actually cold, almost like they had been in a chiller. We felt very rushed as far as service was concerned. The bread board hadn't been removed, in fact I still had a piece on my plate and was still eating when our mains arrived. We both ordered the 'homemade burger', having had it before, I ordered well done and my husband ordered medium. I knew immediately that the burger wasn't a proper beef burger eg., a minced beef pattie. The smell was disgusting. I cut a cm sized portion. Needless to say that was all that I ate of it, my husband was unable to eat his either. The server asked if everything was ok and when I explained that the burger wasn't homemade he assured me it was and in fact spoke to the chef who told him it was homemade. Not in Salty Dog it wasn't.!! We were then informed that the burger had come from a 'supplier'! Why would you charge £12 for a 'homemade' burger and serve processed crap! A beef burger is surely one of the easiest things to make! The cost of the burgers were removed from the bill, but the meal has really left us with a 'bad taste' regarding the quality of produce used and served in Salty Dog.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sugarpaste
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Table was booked for 8.30pm. Arrived a little early to have a drink in the bar, which was fine. Probably sat down at the table at apx. 8.40pm.

Service was so slow that Starter arrived at 9.30pm and it seemed like an age in between courses. After having starter, main course, dessert and coffee, it was after midnight. I like a little time between courses to enjoy the wine and chat at the table, but this was ridiculous.

As for the food, my wife and I both had Goats cheese tart for starter - toppings were tasty enough, but the tart itself (base) was burnt and spoiled the whole course.

For main course I had the Lamb Rump, which was just warm enough (on the verge of sending back). My wife had the fish and chips which was served in a wire basket set on a wooden platter. Sounds great, but when the basket slides off the platter almost onto your lap when the waiter tries to set it down, it comes as a bit of a nasty surprise - Fish was also overcooked.

For dessert it was Sticky Toffee Pudding and Chocolate Pot. My wife's chocolate pot was nice, but my pudding was far from sticky, quite bland and I had not expected it to be served cold!

Overall a very disappointing experience from a restaurant which looked and seemed so promising. The dishes sounded fantastic, but I get the feeling that this place is just "batting above its average"

Toilets were not clean and ran out of drying paper half way through the evening, never to be replaced.

We will certainly not be back

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gesture
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Table in the restaurant was booked for 8.30pm but yet we still hadn't received our starters at 9.20pm. Eating desert at 11pm is far too late. All in all a very poor evening - time between courses too long. Burnt pastry on the goats cheese tart and cold mushy peas with the haddock & chips. Toilets needed a clean and hand towel bin was over flowing. I don't mind paying for excellent food and service but I certainly didn't receive that this evening.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank 88geo
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Been a few times before with ok experiences. Tonight started off ok, arrived 30 mins before time table booked, well received and had drink in lounge.

Then it went downhill.

If I have a table booked for 8.30 I do not expect to have to wait till 10.10 for my main course! Wasn't as if the place was overly busy, just very slow service. Starters were fine (overpriced in my opinion) my main course of lamb looked fine but whilst it was tender, was the most bland tasteless lamb I have ever experienced.

To be fair, the staff tried hard and were apologetic, but the problems are obviously in the kitchen/management area.

When we got our bill were were asked if it was ok - our reply was that a bit of discount for the wait would be good but were informed this was not possible. Whilst the service issues were acknowledged by the staff, no one was prepared to make any sort of gesture, even offer of free coffee would have been nice!

It is hard enough in Bangor to enjoy a good dining experience but this is one establishment we are unlikely to frequent again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Al94
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We found this a relaxing place to spend time and eat. Stayed a few nights enjoyed the atmosphere Food and drink. Locals in for breakfast brought interest and information about the area. Good location for exploring the area. Always a happy helpful staff behind bar and in the restaurant. The accommodation was good.

Room Tip: Harbour view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David L
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Beggars belief how they have managed to keep their prices so high for so long. Yet another shocking meal here last month that has signed, sealed and delivered our last ever attempt at getting something enjoyable here. The menu is just trying to be too clever now that Derek Creagh has gone. Soooo expensive for what you get. A fish and chip choice was served in a fryer basket, with no plate. A pint of Guinness took forever to arrive, despite them feeling the need to explain to me (a seasoned Guinness drinker) that the keg needed changing and it'd be a while. Service was plain and simply not there. This would be our last trip and they've had their last chance. Simply too expensive and trying to be too clever with their food. Shame, as the choice in the town s limited anyway.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank postcode70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Marine Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Holywood
Rayanne House
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!