“Staff a big let down.”

The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
“Staff a big let down.”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Sunday afternoon and the restaurant was not busy but still waited fifty minutes for our order. Two meals came first followed some time later by the rest of our meals. The waiter could not leave quick enough, checking his watch as he left out final two meals and hurrying off never to be seen again. I approached the bar where there were four staff having a nice chat with each other and waited as they all ignored me. One female member of staff actually looked at me and turned away. After finally getting to speak to another waiter I managed to ask for more drinks for the table and voiced my anger at being treated so badly.
When we had finished out meal, which has to be said was of a very high standard and congratulations should be given to the chef, I once again had to approach the bar for my bill only to be completely ignored by the same female member of staff as earlier.
A serious let down. It seems that the majority of staff here forget that it is the customer who keeps them in jobs and this isn't the cheapest place to eat.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank 25053136

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed here overnight, with a deal that included breakfast and a 3-course dinner. We stayed in a deluxe sea-view room, which had great views of the marina and the ocean. The room itself was spacious, the bed was comfy...could do with a bit of sprucing up in terms of a few marks on the walls and a bit of chipped paint here and there, but really no complaints in terms of size and comfort.

Our dinner that night was absolutely fantastic. I had a crab starter which was beautifully paired with pea puree and broad beans - and growing up with Chesapeake Bay crab, I can be quite picky! I got the scallops for my main and they were cooked to perfection, literally falling apart and would nearly melt in your mouth. Again, I'm quite finicky about scallops and I could find no fault with these!! For dessert, I had the pear & frangipan tarte tatin which is cooked to order. Another amazing dish that tasted great with the lavender & honey ice cream it was served with. We had a bottle of an Argentinian pinot grigio that was great as well...you wouldn't know it was one of the cheapest bottles on their wine list! In addition to delicious food and wine, the service was great. Every questioned answered, the wait staff was always attentive and making sure we had an enjoyable experience. Can't wait to get back to Bangor and the Salty Dog!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

i booked a table for 2 for myself and my cousin she is heading off to France for the summer, we wanted the evening to be special as we wont be seeing each other for a while. We were greeted by friendly staff and given a choice of table..... lovely views we were able to watch the sun set as we enjoyed the chilean merlot . Great choice of freshly cooked food ,we shared the different breads and speciality butters while we waited on our mains - delicious and just enough.Nothing was too much trouble the staff took the time to explain dishes and we were given plenty of time between courses to sit and chat and just enjoy the atmosphere. As we were leaving I noticed the bar end had a great buzz about it and this was a Tuesday evening. Can't wait to take my husband for a meal and maybe try out one of the cocktails on offer. Sharon C.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at this ideal boutique pub for three nights last week where we were made extremely welcome. It was one of the very few places that made our well behaved young Labrador cross extremely welcome as well. The food was excellent, the Guinness great, and the wines had plenty of variety. I recommend the Salty Dog to anyone visiting Bangor and needs to be near the marina. Should you be aboard in the marina you could not find a better eatery and watering holel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Duke065
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

I had lunch here over the may bank holiday and it was great, the views are also a bonus while sitting enjoying your food. Service was friendly also. Fish and chips were lovely and came served in a quirky style in a basket. Looking forward to returning.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Food was an absolute let down, barely warm and bland and seriously OVER PRICED!

Almost London prices in Bangor, catch yourself on!!

Some people might like eating their meal of a lump of wood, you think they could spend a few quid on plates, or is the idea that they might have to put more on a plate!

Though I can't fault the staff, they try hard, pleasant and attentive.

I can't comment on the hotel, only the restaurant!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Philipd
Belfast
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Fiancé and I were in Bangor for bank holiday weekend and stopped by for a drink.

Unfortunately there were no seats outside left so we chose to sit inside. The drink is reasonably priced considering its a hotel.
We ordered the bread sticks, olives and chicken wings. The hummus dip was sadly tasteless and the chicken wings were a bit on the greasy side but it "filled a wee hole" nonetheless.
We would go back again to try the main menu.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank bubblyangel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Marine Court Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#12 of 43 in Belfast

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!