“A beautiful gem in a great area”

The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Ontario, Canada
“A beautiful gem in a great area”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro is a wonderful place to stay. With on-site restaurant you hardly need to leave the hotel. That is except to enjoy the wonders of Northern Ireland. The rooms were well done, most with a view of the Bangor harbour.

A drive away you can get to some of the most spectacular areas for scenery, like the Giants Causeway.

The staff are exceptional! We had the misfortune of a breakdown of our rental car, which resulted in having to rebook, including an additional night for the two rooms our party had booked. With a bit of juggling by the staff, we were able to keep the two premium sea-view rooms we were in. The staff were very helpful with our disabled vehicle, until it was able to be repaired.

As for the food, breakfast was your choice from Full Irish, to cereals, fruit and even something special not on the menu. Dinners were also a great treat and great value, too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The people in reception, the bar and the restaurant were all great! The room was wonderful overlooking the small harbour. It was very clean. A small jar of cookies greeted us everyday after our room was made up!!! Candles and bath salts were also provided to make you feel special. The food in the restaurant was well prepared. I would highly recommend this hotel and restaurant to everyone!

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Visited this establishment.Never again, ordered a bottle of house wine at the bar along with an extra glass for my my friend the house Merlot was excellent. I sat down at one of the spare tables the only one available in the seated settee area the table had not been cleared dirty cups and saucers . I sat there for 20 minutes my friend arrived we went out side and and returned table still not cleared.Sat at another table no waiter service my friend went up to the bar aquired 2 menus,Sat and spent an hour drinking our wine.No staff appeared to take our order Obviously business is so good they they did not need our custom.Five staff were standing chatting at the bar when we left.Will never be back this place place needs a manager who knows how to manage and train his staff.Nice surroundings but amateur staff.Never again from a regular diner in Bangor.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank charlie h
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel on short break in dublin. The staff were very friendly and informative. The rooms were spacious and clean. Food in the restaurant was very good quality. The hotel looks over the quay and is only a short walk from shops and bars. Dublin is about a 40minute train ride away so not too bad.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Southampton
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed in the Royal Hotel at least 5 years or so back and found it tired but ok. Booked it last year as I knew it and was extremely disappointed it really has been let go.

I took some time to search for a hotel on the internet in Bangor. I very quickly found the Salty Dog and booked a room for just one night.

I was greeted with a cracking smile and led to the reception area to check in...

What a different experience.... I was invited to take a seat! Take a seat? I have stayed in many hotels but never taken a seat at reception. I duly filled out the check in form and was informed of the facilities, bar, restaurant, breakfast the usual things but because I was seated it all felt personal, special....

I was shown to my room (unusual) No:9 The room was perfect... Spacious, big double bed, sea view, on suite. Attention to detail in the room was very good... I won't mention the little extras that you get so you can experience them for your self should you book.

The free wifi was great... Some hotels advertise free wifi and it is for half an hour and then you have to pay or it so weak that you have to wait ages for pages to load. Not here it was super fast and enable me to clear some emails and VOIP my wife and daughter who are still holidaying in Italy!

I booked a table in the restaurant for myself and a dealer who was joining me. The restaurant was extremely busy. I asked for a large table as I needed to go over some work with my dealer, use an iPad. The girl was unsure if this would be possible because they were so busy but when the time came a table was available.

The food was good and the Salty Dog branded beer was really nice! Vey unusual, a Hop mixed larger... Delicious.

I wake religiously around 6.30am but not this morning. The bed and room was so comfortable I woke after 9.00. I was now running late, thought I had missed breakfast but no it finished at 11.00 o'clock how good is that! I could have stayed but had to run for it, I did manage to grab a coffee and some toast before heading off.

The staff at the Salty Dog were friendly, nothing was to much trouble and I could see they would go out of their way to accommodate you. My stay at the Salty Dog was a perfect one so much so that I can't wait for business to call me back to Northern Ireland. The Salty Dog is on the top of my Hotel list for this area.

UI

Room Tip: Front with a seaview
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

when we booked this hotel we did request a double room, very disappointed when we arrived to be shown to our room with 2 single beds at the very top of the hotel with the smallest room, which was the fire escape.And the view from are room was the roof of the next building. But there is a plus side the staff are more than friendly and the food was fantastic and bangor itself is a beauitful place

Room Tip: anything other than room 7
N.Ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the salty dog on a recommendation and were not disappointed. On checking in we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who had been with the hotel for years...he guided us right to our room. The room was spacious and well equipped, my 4year old was very impressed with the towel origami. Fantastic seating area outside to enjoy the beautiful weather. The manager/owner made an effort to speak with us and he was very personable. We didn't have dinner as were at a family BBQ however breakfast was amazing with plenty of choice and made to order menu. Perfect. On check out we were greeted by a very friendly and efficient member of staff. Well done salty dog....

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Strangford Arms Hotel
Strangford Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newtownards

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!