“Fantabulous purple establishment”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
dunmurry
“Fantabulous purple establishment”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just back home from a stay in last night with 3 other friends, amazing wee place, staff so friendly and helpful, esp our receptionist :). Great hotel, lovely rooms, superb food, nice chilled out atmosphere for our stay, thank you - hope to be back soon.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Had lunch there today with my Mother in Law and her wee dog. Staff were absolutely excellent. Dog was spoilt by them from start to finish. Food was absolute rubbish, and vastly overpriced.

My steak sandwich contained thin slices of uncuttable (with a steak knife) bully beef. Sad,... the floor staff are genuinely pleasant, and trying to please, surroundings are pleasant but the food is terrible, irrespective of the prices.

I won't be back. Had I been paying, I would have refused 2 of the 3 dishes served up.

Terrible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael W
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

stayed here recently and while we really enjoyed the food we found the room to be pretty poor... it could do with a makeover and this was after we upgraded to a superior room for £20 extra. would definitely return for a meal though wouldn't stay the night...

Room Tip: not sure there is one...
Northumberland, England, UK
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned yesterday having spent 3 nights at this hotel.

ARRIVAL: as it was Good Friday Bangor was very busy with many drivers looking for spaces - not to worry - the Salty Dog website says 'secure parking' so we weren't at all concerned, however this is simply not true! We were informed that this means you have to use the public car park over the road. Not good if you have heavy bags to carry, also clearly a blatant lie on the website - this is not secure parking! Since the car park was already overflowing we had to park on the roundabout outside to offload the bags then drive around and around until a space could finally be found a walk away - so NOT a good start!

We were 'greeted' by a lady with a Yorkshire accent (didn't get her name), she was totally disinterested when we asked her about the supposed parking. She offered to help with our bags but then complained about the weight of them so I took my bag back from her - it was just a hand luggage bag! This lady showed us to our room then left us to it. She wasn't terribly friendly but thankfully for the rest of our stay a wonderful member of staff called Maive was on reception and she was professional, kind and couldn't do more to help!

We had booked the top class of room - the Deluxe Sea View - well, I can tell you there is NOTHING deluxe about this room - I dread to think what the other rooms must be like! There was paint peeling off the walls in places, one of the window's handles was,missing so the window couldn't be closed properly and wouldn't open either, dust inside the wardrobe, dirt and dust in the bathroom around the radiator etc. really and honestly one of the worst rooms I've ever stayed in. The fixtures and fittings are old, chipped, cheap and tired. The decor in desperate need of a complete overhaul!

The hotel's own brochure and website say it offers quality linens - well I'm not sure about the quality - the thin towels were awful and actually had holes in them!!!!!!!

On the first morning the maid walked into the room, without knocking first, while our daughter was in the shower - she was horrified and asked her to come back later - the cleaner unfortunately didn't have a very good grasp of English and it took quite some persuasion to get her out of the room! My husband then gave her a generous tip and asked her to come back in half an hour.

We then returned to the room in the late afternoon after our day out to get ready for the evening - the cleaner had never returned! My husband mentioned this to the lovely Maive on the front desk who apologised and said the cleaner had now left for the day but she would ensure fresh towels were placed in the room - she went beyond the call of duty and made the beds etc herself!

On the Saturday night, we noticed when we returned to the room that the bar was very full and noisy and wondered if we would get much sleep. We were right to wonder. Even though we were up on the 2nd floor the noise from the bar and terrace out front was extremely loud. Still, we thought once the bars closed hopefully the noise would subside. Well, unfortunately, a group of very selfish guests decided to continue their partying in the bedrooms - which were next to ours! At 1am my husband had had enough of the screaming and shouting and phoned the front desk. To be fair the gentleman who answered was very helpful and said he would look into it straight away. The noise subsided - but only for a bout 10minutes before it started again and was worse than ever, so I phoned the front desk again. Once more the gentleman was very good and arranged for the partying to continue downstairs - we would still hear the noise but it was more muffled but I wonder how the people staying directly above must have faired! Then at 2am I was aware of hammering on several doors - then a man came to our door and hammered and said he couldn't remember which room he was in so thought he would knock on them all!!!

Now I realise this is NOT the hotel's fault, however surely at check in someone should have realised they had a large group of young people and put them in a wing of the hotel where they would cause less disturbance. Also surely there is a point where alcohol stops being served? They were still drinking at breakfast the next morning!

BASED ON THE ABOVE - IF THIS REVIEW WAS FOR HOTEL ROOMS ONLY I WOULD BE FORCED TO GIVE 1/5 !

BISTRO - well this was a much better experience. Clearly the money spent on this hotel was given to the bistro as the fixtures and fittings here, whilst not luxurious, were of a much higher quality than the bedrooms.

I had a slight negative to start with; we had a table booked for family members that evening - we discovered that 2 of our party were unable to make it, as a courtesy to the staff I wanted to tell them this, I waited and waited and waited while a large gentleman completely ignored me and continued his conversation. Eventually I excused myself and explained why I was waiting - it seemed like a huge inconvenience to him and I wish I hadn't bothered. I asked if we would still have the window seat that we had requested and he said he had no idea as this would be at the discretion of the manager - we weren't given the window view!

The food itself was very good though and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The restaurant was very busy and we did have a long wait between courses - which the staff apologised for.

The bistro staff (with th exception of the aforementioned man) were outstandingly good.

Breakfasts each day were also fabulous, though I would have loved some fresh fruit as none was offerd. The granola was the best I've ever had and worthy of a mention! So based on the bistro experience I've given this review a higher rating.

The location is great and the views are fabulous but the owners need to close the bedrooms, and spend a decent amount of cash updating them as the price we paid was in no way a reflection of what we received! Turned out to be a very expensive stay in a bedroom which was worthy of one or two stars at best!

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Northumberland-lady
Belfast
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Visited this restaurant for lunch! Didn't think it lived up to the reviews we had read about it. A bit over priced and the portions were on the small side! It was quite busy and the service was very slow, I don't think we will be inclined to rush back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MatildaBelfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

RESERVATIONS: I booked this hotel on 16th January 2014 for 12th April the booking was confirmed by email, however when I rang during this week to reserve a table in the restaurant there was no room booked – after a few calls made by reservations I had confirmation I now had a room.

ROOM 8: HORRENDOUSLY POOR STANDARDS!! - Used tissues behind the bed, rubbish behind bedside lockers also the chair. There was dust everywhere, paint flaking of the ceiling, walls uneven where bits had been added.
Staff informed of the issues just after check in, however upon our return 3hrs later nothing had been done. I had to get the receptionist a plastic bag to lift the used tissues behind the bed – at this point something’s had been refreshed, definitely room had not cleaned.

BAR: I ordered a Bellini they couldn’t serve it as they hadn’t the ingredients also there were no Champagne cocktails available. The manager sent a complimentary bottle of Champagne as he was aware of the issues…Sadly they continued in the restaurant!!

RESTAURANT: FINE DINING??? This is most certainly not a Fine Dining Restaurant as claimed in the hotel brochure. The Champagne bucket was left in the middle of an unclothed small table, when the waitress was asked for a stand for the Champagne bucked she removed a chair from another table and set the bucked on it. Ice for the water was served in a pint glass with tongs –APPAULING!!

FOOD: The menu is not detailed enough with items on the presented dish not in the detail on the menu or specials board. Starter of Crab was simply - Awful! In its place I ordered a consommé and scallops which was cold by the time the waitress got me a spoon to eat it with. Desserts were far too expensive for the quality delivered, the Torte base under baked, the rhubarb cheesecake had no resemblance to the texture or taste of a cheesecake. A Ristretto coffee was ordered, the waitress hadn’t a clue what it was. Breakfast was Good.

The overnight stay was booked on living social £59 Accommodation, Two Mains Courses and Breakfast, however if it hadn’t been the approx cost would have been £175.
HIDEOUSLY EXPENSIVE GIVEN THE POOR STANDARDS IN ALL DEPARTMENTS!!!

3 Thank DanDal1
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel is me all over!! From the quirky references to dogs, the photos & little dog theme touches even down to the uniforms with the paws along the back, loved it! Our room was lovely, fantastic view, exceptionally clean and warm. Breakfast was yummy i had the 'wee dog fry' the soda bread is so yummy. We had dinner the 2nd night & dinner was nice but the triple chocolate tart is to die for. The girl that checked us out on the Sunday was really bubbly even through our hangovers we loved her!! And to top it all she told me the best news ever that dogs are allowed to stay & come in with you for a bite to eat!! So we will definitely be back with our pooch in tow!!

Room Tip: ask for the seaview, you cant miss the stunning views!
1 Thank LivesInABubble
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Loughshore Hotel
Loughshore Hotel
#2 of 6 in Carrickfergus

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!