“Love this place and its even DOG friendly!”

and 1 more site!
The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Derry, United Kingdom
“Love this place and its even DOG friendly!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Salty Dog is one of only a few dog friendly establishments in the whole of the country, which is quite refreshing in a country where dogs are banned from almost everywhere. So already it gets bonus points from me. I have brought my dog several times and she gets a bowl of water as soon as she comes in the door as well as some fantastic healthy fish skin dog treats (provided by Armstrong's Twisted Fish), which are hand made locally in Bangor.

The Salty Dog appears to have a real emphasis on local produce regarding their menu too which I love, as I prefer to eat local and like to know where my food comes from. They serve loads of local craft ales too, and its where I first discovered the Hilden Beers which are great! I also have to compliment the cocktails!

In my 2 years of visiting The Salty Dog, Ive always had a great feed, I particularly enjoy their burger, and I appreciate that the food is always well presented. The staff are very friendly also and very accommodating. Its a great place to sit outside on a sunny day and I look forward to a decent summer so I can do so now and then with a Hilden brew in hand!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carole K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights in the Salty Hotel for a wedding. The staff are all really friendly, breakfasts are fantastic. Rooms are really comfortable, we left them in a mess to get to the wedding on time to stumble back and find them spotless! Brilliant hotel with great views

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, UK
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in room 1 which is a nice spacious room with lovely bathroom overlooking the sea front so it can be a bit noisy particularly first thing in the morning. Staff were friendly and helpful. We just had drinks in the bar which has a good atmosphere and breakfast which was excellent. Good quality stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
dunmurry
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just back home from a stay in last night with 3 other friends, amazing wee place, staff so friendly and helpful, esp our receptionist :). Great hotel, lovely rooms, superb food, nice chilled out atmosphere for our stay, thank you - hope to be back soon.

• Stayed May 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Had lunch there today with my Mother in Law and her wee dog. Staff were absolutely excellent. Dog was spoilt by them from start to finish. Food was absolute rubbish, and vastly overpriced.

My steak sandwich contained thin slices of uncuttable (with a steak knife) bully beef. Sad,... the floor staff are genuinely pleasant, and trying to please, surroundings are pleasant but the food is terrible, irrespective of the prices.

I won't be back. Had I been paying, I would have refused 2 of the 3 dishes served up.

Terrible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael W
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

stayed here recently and while we really enjoyed the food we found the room to be pretty poor... it could do with a makeover and this was after we upgraded to a superior room for £20 extra. would definitely return for a meal though wouldn't stay the night...

Room Tip: not sure there is one...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Northumberland, England, UK
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned yesterday having spent 3 nights at this hotel.

ARRIVAL: as it was Good Friday Bangor was very busy with many drivers looking for spaces - not to worry - the Salty Dog website says 'secure parking' so we weren't at all concerned, however this is simply not true! We were informed that this means you have to use the public car park over the road. Not good if you have heavy bags to carry, also clearly a blatant lie on the website - this is not secure parking! Since the car park was already overflowing we had to park on the roundabout outside to offload the bags then drive around and around until a space could finally be found a walk away - so NOT a good start!

We were 'greeted' by a lady with a Yorkshire accent (didn't get her name), she was totally disinterested when we asked her about the supposed parking. She offered to help with our bags but then complained about the weight of them so I took my bag back from her - it was just a hand luggage bag! This lady showed us to our room then left us to it. She wasn't terribly friendly but thankfully for the rest of our stay a wonderful member of staff called Maive was on reception and she was professional, kind and couldn't do more to help!

We had booked the top class of room - the Deluxe Sea View - well, I can tell you there is NOTHING deluxe about this room - I dread to think what the other rooms must be like! There was paint peeling off the walls in places, one of the window's handles was,missing so the window couldn't be closed properly and wouldn't open either, dust inside the wardrobe, dirt and dust in the bathroom around the radiator etc. really and honestly one of the worst rooms I've ever stayed in. The fixtures and fittings are old, chipped, cheap and tired. The decor in desperate need of a complete overhaul!

The hotel's own brochure and website say it offers quality linens - well I'm not sure about the quality - the thin towels were awful and actually had holes in them!!!!!!!

On the first morning the maid walked into the room, without knocking first, while our daughter was in the shower - she was horrified and asked her to come back later - the cleaner unfortunately didn't have a very good grasp of English and it took quite some persuasion to get her out of the room! My husband then gave her a generous tip and asked her to come back in half an hour.

We then returned to the room in the late afternoon after our day out to get ready for the evening - the cleaner had never returned! My husband mentioned this to the lovely Maive on the front desk who apologised and said the cleaner had now left for the day but she would ensure fresh towels were placed in the room - she went beyond the call of duty and made the beds etc herself!

On the Saturday night, we noticed when we returned to the room that the bar was very full and noisy and wondered if we would get much sleep. We were right to wonder. Even though we were up on the 2nd floor the noise from the bar and terrace out front was extremely loud. Still, we thought once the bars closed hopefully the noise would subside. Well, unfortunately, a group of very selfish guests decided to continue their partying in the bedrooms - which were next to ours! At 1am my husband had had enough of the screaming and shouting and phoned the front desk. To be fair the gentleman who answered was very helpful and said he would look into it straight away. The noise subsided - but only for a bout 10minutes before it started again and was worse than ever, so I phoned the front desk again. Once more the gentleman was very good and arranged for the partying to continue downstairs - we would still hear the noise but it was more muffled but I wonder how the people staying directly above must have faired! Then at 2am I was aware of hammering on several doors - then a man came to our door and hammered and said he couldn't remember which room he was in so thought he would knock on them all!!!

Now I realise this is NOT the hotel's fault, however surely at check in someone should have realised they had a large group of young people and put them in a wing of the hotel where they would cause less disturbance. Also surely there is a point where alcohol stops being served? They were still drinking at breakfast the next morning!

BASED ON THE ABOVE - IF THIS REVIEW WAS FOR HOTEL ROOMS ONLY I WOULD BE FORCED TO GIVE 1/5 !

BISTRO - well this was a much better experience. Clearly the money spent on this hotel was given to the bistro as the fixtures and fittings here, whilst not luxurious, were of a much higher quality than the bedrooms.

I had a slight negative to start with; we had a table booked for family members that evening - we discovered that 2 of our party were unable to make it, as a courtesy to the staff I wanted to tell them this, I waited and waited and waited while a large gentleman completely ignored me and continued his conversation. Eventually I excused myself and explained why I was waiting - it seemed like a huge inconvenience to him and I wish I hadn't bothered. I asked if we would still have the window seat that we had requested and he said he had no idea as this would be at the discretion of the manager - we weren't given the window view!

The food itself was very good though and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The restaurant was very busy and we did have a long wait between courses - which the staff apologised for.

The bistro staff (with th exception of the aforementioned man) were outstandingly good.

Breakfasts each day were also fabulous, though I would have loved some fresh fruit as none was offerd. The granola was the best I've ever had and worthy of a mention! So based on the bistro experience I've given this review a higher rating.

The location is great and the views are fabulous but the owners need to close the bedrooms, and spend a decent amount of cash updating them as the price we paid was in no way a reflection of what we received! Turned out to be a very expensive stay in a bedroom which was worthy of one or two stars at best!

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Northumberland-lady
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#11 of 44 in Belfast

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!