“The perfect place for a get together!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Belfast, United Kingdom
“The perfect place for a get together!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I visited The Salty Dog last weekend (26th July) with my boyfriend and his family for a goodbye dinner and it was absolutely fantastic!

I really love this place, the atmosphere is brilliant from the moment you walk in. The staff are really friendly and service is both prompt and professional.

The food is exceptional - every one of us loved our meal. We had sausages and mash, the signature burger and fish between us and everything was tasty, hot and delicious! The selection on offer is great and they have a fab specials board too. I highly recommend the 'keen' choux dessert which I had!

I also tried the cocktail of the month which went down a treat too.

After our meal we sat and had a few drinks in the seating area - it was really lovely with a fantastic atmosphere.

Although I'm not from the Bangor area I really would recommend The Salty Dog to anyone who is in this direction! I can't wait until my next visit and shall be recommending it to all my friends!

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here recently on a business trip and to be honest it's a bit of a weird backwater where old locals walk their dogs and visiting families on holiday wander about looking for things to do amongst the empty chicken boxes and other discarded rubbish along the costal concrete paths (some of which was very unsavoury indeed, a clear indication this is not the place to go after dark)
The Salty Dog is tired and dated though the staff try very hard, the beds were comfortable but the bathrooms contained far too much very visible rusty old pipe work and the wi fi is so sporadic (so frustrating when on business) I had to give up. The suicide windows don't open properly and there is no air con, so it was a pretty uncomfortable night all round.
Dinner was a bit aspirational rather than good bistro (why to these places always have chefs who try so hard but always fail) though I was lucky with a very passable fish pie compared to the others at my table. Breakfast was fine with the exception of Michael Bulbe blaring so loudly I am surprised any egg order could be heard.
I wouldn't rush back there even for the sea views. This is not a business hotel by any means.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front are all above the road even though they face the sea, the rooms at the back h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank stargazeypie
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This place was recommended by friend - and he knows he food !
Called in for lunch yesterday and certainly wasn't disappointed. Given a table at the window, overlooking the boats.
The menu arrived quickly and the specials explained.
We settled for fish pie, fish & chips and creamy chicken pasta from the kids menu (not the usual boring processed chicken nuggets). The food took a little while to arrived - which made it evident it was all freshly prepared - and well worth our short wait. WOW ! Fish & Chips - huge portion of fish with a lovely fresh breadcrumb coating and fab chips. Mushy peas were amazing and vinegar flavour mayo was yum. My fish pie was just perfect - great variety of fish, delicious sauce and cheesy mash - with a hidden soft boiled egg ! The kids portion of pasta was big enough for anyone. Lovely fresh pasta in a lovely creamy sauce with loads of beautifully cooked chicken breast - faultless !
Desserts had to be had ! Again wonderful - especially the ice cream float with popping candy for my grand daughter - she loved it. It came in separate bowls/jugs for her to assemble herself - which was part of the fun. She could hardly eat for laughing as the candy popped in her mouth ! Great fun - great food ! Thanks Salty Dog - can`t wait to return. (Really fancy a wee overnight stay)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

For dog owners and others this venue is a must! The staff were lovely and extremely friendly, the food was amazing-the best food i have experienced in bangor, and on such lovely seats outside! We are dog owners and did not have our dogs today. We watched as three different waitors/waitress not only brought a common patrons dog water, but then treats, and then further affection! As someone who loves their pets dearly, i can assure you that the salty dog is somewhere to pop in with your fur children- not only friendly to the the whole family, but excellent service and wonderful food to back it up! Cant wait to return thanks salty dog!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Opalfox
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Visited this place last week and was impressed although service was slow. It is nicely designed and set beautifully beside the water. The sun set is amazing. Enjoyed it so much decided to return with a few friends. This time I was very let down with the service. The young waitress who served us came straight over to take our order and when we asked for a minute she seemed annoyed. She returned a few minutes later and we ordered a few hot drinks. Asked if we could have a late but in a mug instead of a glass and the reply was "we make all our lattes in glasses". I was well aware of this hence why I purposefully asked for the latte to be in a mug!! She was persistent that I couldn't have it in a mug and was in no way apologetic. It was as if I was annoying her. Then another girl asked for a hot chocolate. When she brought the drinks over they were in the glasses which are tiny for the price £2.50 for a very small glass of hot chocolate or late! The hot chocolate came with no cream or marshmallows so my friend asked could she please have some marshmallows to which she got a mumble of a reply and the waitress said she would be back in a second. She did not return and we didn't get the marshmallows. Not a big deal but she couldn't even come over and apologise saying they didn't have any. Just thought she had an attitude and clearly did not want to be there!! Apart from that, the waiters in the place seemed a lot more professional and I witnessed good service at a table next to ours. It is definitely worth visiting this place due to location and the interior design of it. Would probably return but not for a hot drink!!

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Raíchéal N
Galgorm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Called in today for lunch and was really impressed by the welcome from the staff for both two and four legged friends. Great food, excellent variety, and beautifully presented.

Looking forward to the next time

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Wendy C
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Loved this place from start to finish. We were welcomed and shown to a lovely table overlooking the harbour. Menu was classic yet interesting - apple ketchup. Great choices for children, well beyond chicken nuggets & chips! I had the battered fish and chips - the fish was sizeable with a very light batter. Chunky chips, mushy peas and tartar sauce accompanied my meal. My daughter had the creamy pasta (and some of my chips!) and ice cream and cookies to finish. While we had coffee the children were given complimentary hot chocolate, which went down a treat. As we were settling the bill - each child was given a seed pot, and instructions, which I thought was a lovely idea. Really enjoyable afternoon.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sara B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#12 of 43 in Belfast

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!