“Debbie Gray”

Cafe Essence
Ranked #24 of 168 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cafe Essence is a Chef Owned local seafood restaurant. This means our focus is on food. We are committed to preparing only the finest dishes and serving you only the highest quality food to capture the essence of fine dining.
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Just home from another amazing night at my most favourite restaurant.Every thing was fab. Our starters of scallop s and piri piri prawns were excellent .Our mains of sirlion,monkfish. And trio of fish were to die for !! .Dont need to tell you Rosie.but we all had a great night !! Dined everywhere but still our favourite restaurant ever. See you soon .Also service perfect . X

Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is a lovely intimate restaurant and the food is just to die for.
The fish is delicious. Also it is a BYO restaurant which means you can spend more on the lovely menu.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We use Cafe Essence fairly regularily and have never been anything but pleased with our meals. It is small, not fancy and can be quite busy but the food is excellent. It is BYO which helps with the cost I.e. you can take a nice bottle of wine and enjoy it without the normal huge mark up. Staff are friendly.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We were looking for an anniversary meal, and don't know Bangor very well to eat out. This scored highly on the reviews, and I can quite see why. To start with, it's a BYO, which might put some people off, but I like. Wines in restaurants is usually overpriced, and this way I can concentrate on the food. The menu is clever as well, with a fixed price two course menu, and a specials board giving the extra should you choose from it. The tempura prawns were excellent, as was the large portion of pâté that I chose to start with. My partner then had the Brill, whilst I had the baked monkfish on a prawn risotto. I have to say it was the best I've had for quite a while. The service was pleasant, if a little slow between the courses for my liking, but that's better than being rushed. The restaurant is on the first floor up a narrow staircase, and a view of Hamilton Road, so don't go for the surroundings or the view - just go and enjoy some very very good food. I will certainly be back.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Although we have been long aware of its reputation for terrific seafood food, because my wife is partially disabled we had forborne to climb the steep stairs to this small, well furnished restaurant until recently invited by friends. We were greeted by smashing attentive staff who knew what constituted the dishes on the various extensive menus and handled any variance in our requirements in their stride. As for the food, just mouthwateringly beautiful. There were five of us, each having a different starter and main course. All were served with perfectly cooked vegetables and piping hot. The desserts were huge and simply delicious. The climb was well worth the effort and we will return as soon as we can get a table which because of its size and popularity is proving difficult. Well done to all concerned.